KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my sdr to the shite track locally known as snetterton! Only took it there to get a feel for the bike as it was cheap and close to where i live. Got on ok in general until i started pushing on abit and had two instances on different right handers where i lost the front with practially no warning whatso eva:eek::eek: there was no skill involved in the saves it was just luck i stayed on!:hmh: the bike feels quite stiff on the front but i've checked the susp settings and its set as std in the manual i,m running supercorsa pro's and they're 32/30 pressures i weigh 78kgs any ideas on recommended settings for fast road use?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Snetterton ROCKS!

The harder settings in the book are a better base setting for harder riding.(edit - not so sure of this on the R)
What were you doing with the throttle when you lost the front?

Pushing the forks down so they are flush with the top yolk extends the trial and improves feel, especially in longer faster turns like you have there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the throttle was at a constant round coram and as far as i thort it was settled!! Its a 07 superduke R which i believe are sprung slightly stiffer?
I know these things handle but i'm just having a little trouble trusting the front when cranked right over after those couple of slides!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Actually the short trail / steep head angle means fast turns like Corum can be a bit of a leap of faith. The bike turns stupid fast but the trade off is a lack of "feel" in some places.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds exactly like what im feeling in sharp turns and tight corners the feel is good but the fast ones like corum just lack feel, i guess i'll just have to stick to cadwell then either that or take the b1h track bike instead! cheers for the advice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm pretty naive about suspension but make sure your rear is set up right too. If the rear is squatting too much it'll cause problems.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I like Snet too!

I thin your tyre pressure are too high, on the track you wanna run 30. 28.5

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm really surprised to read this. Never done Snetterton on my SDR, but would have thought you would either 1) have something wrong with the bike or 2) Been REALLY going for it to get the front sliding there.

Some ideas / questions for yourself

1) Try to get 28 / 28 PSI HOT (at the end of the session) - probably only 22-4 Psi when cold and feels awful for the first 2 laps - but give better feel once warmed up
2) What compound SC Pro ?. How many heat cycles have they had ?. Would generally expect to see softer compound front than rear on an SDR.
3) Check the fork rebound damping settings again - (too high is often at the root of poor front end feel problems in fast / bumpy corners.)
4) Are the front brakes binding ? (Get the bike on a stand when they are HOT and spin the wheel / apply the brakes a few times to check)
5) Obvious stuff really - Cold Tyres ?. Greasy Track ?. Trail Braking ?. Off Line / Marbles ?.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
946 Posts
Took my sdr to the shite track locally known as snetterton! Only took it there to get a feel for the bike as it was cheap and close to where i live. Got on ok in general until i started pushing on abit and had two instances on different right handers where i lost the front with practially no warning whatso eva:eek::eek: there was no skill involved in the saves it was just luck i stayed on!:hmh: the bike feels quite stiff on the front but i've checked the susp settings and its set as std in the manual i,m running supercorsa pro's and they're 32/30 pressures i weigh 78kgs any ideas on recommended settings for fast road use?
Pop over and see X-Bikes, Chris is in your area. He sorted mine for me.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just so I'm not misunderstood (as I said to the judge, he still issued the restraining order though), although I pointed out the SD's handling weakspot - as said above, you'd have to really be going some into / round corum to loose the front. Jody and I have both been 'round there at a fair old pace.

With a trailing throttle or open throttle you should be good through there (front wise)

All the suggestions in the post above (I don't agree with the tyre pressures but that's another thread!), plus the earlier sag settings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts