KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening gents,

I was perusing a certain KTM dealers site earlier building a bit of a shopping list as I went, and then stumbled across the lowering options. There was the KTM ones that all require the shock to be striped down, but there was also the Zeta lowdown option, which seems to be a split spacers that can be installed in the shock without taking all to bits.

- ZETA RACING -

I cant find much info on it, but have found something similar by some Aussies who have made a video on how to install. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZH3O9aUkk8

The zeta kit is £30 which for that money is nice and cheap to see if I would get on with a lower bike, it gives you 30mm, which would probably be the difference between tip toes and flat footed for me.

The only thing that seems tricky is how to compress the shock head down with out using the Aussie guys compression tool.

With a bit of a drop of the clamps down the forks I could actually end up feeling comfortable enough to try some news things like pivot turns, and not falling over on off cambers!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Don’t quote me on this but when I was looking to lower my 350 I read somewhere but I can’t find it, If you use the method where the spacer is fitted to the outside of the reservoir, As in pushing the seal head into the shock by the spacer volume. You have in theory reduced the reservoir volume but still have the same volume of oil in the shock and this can cause the shock to be over pressurised causing the seal to fail,

It sounds feasible to me so I had mine lowered by fitting the spacer inside and then filling with oil and a re gas,

That’s what I went for and have a 100hours on the shock,

O and i have shorter springs with spacers in the forks, I’m only 70KG so don’t need over 300mm of travel, The bike handle as good as my mates that hasn’t been lowered and that not brilliant because of the xplor forks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read that in a couple of posts, but also read on various others than the nitrogen pressures are quite variable between even new bikes so it should be still within tolerance. The aussie guy in the link above talks about it as well but says that it should all be OK, obviously he's selling the kits, so pinch if salt and all that.

Who did your lowering and how much was it? My bikes on 85 hours now so forks and shock could probably do with a service at some point so I could get it done all at the same time.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
There is a youtube vid that shows some guy fitting a spacer under the shock head, I'm a short arse and a tight git so I decided to machine up my own spacer and make a fitting kit to compress the shock, My spacer is 10mm thick which lowers the back end 30mm, I also cut 20mm of foam out of the seat for a total height reduction of 50mm. I also had to shorten the side stand a bit to.

The 'Aussie' that you are referring to may well be the same bloke that I took inspiration from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZH3O9aUkk8&t=644s

I only green lane but so far the shock has been fine (300 exc).

I guess you can borrow the tool that made if you like. (I live in Wokingham, near Reading)

Reactions: Ship and v-tec

·
Registered
399 Posts
I read that in a couple of posts, but also read on various others than the nitrogen pressures are quite variable between even new bikes so it should be still within tolerance. The aussie guy in the link above talks about it as well but says that it should all be OK, obviously he's selling the kits, so pinch if salt and all that.

Who did your lowering and how much was it? My bikes on 85 hours now so forks and shock could probably do with a service at some point so I could get it done all at the same time.
FTR Suspension - Motorcycle suspension, products & services

It was done as part of the deal on my bike, it also included a shorter stand, so I’m not sure on the price.
They gave me back the original stand, original fork springs, and the original shock spacer.
I really am quite happy with it, I’m definitely more confident with takleing more technical terrain,

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's the guy. He does it all without dropping pressure from the shock. There's a couple of videos of people doing it by hand, but they've already dropped the oil and nitrogen out so no pressure there. Has it been successful lowering it like you have? I think alot of it is after a fairly bad off in February I've just lost a lot of confidence. I've got a cut down seat on at the moment and it didn't really help much, and I end up always sliding into the dip in the seat so always fighting to try and keep my arse where it should.

The lend of the tool would be awesome. Only problem is I'm in Bridgend in South Wales, about half way between Cardiff and Swansea. If you ever venture down this way of be willing to post it it would be great. I've got an extreme training day on the weekend of the 16th, so about 3 weeks away and would be cool to have it lower for that.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yeah that's the guy. He does it all without dropping pressure from the shock. There's a couple of videos of people doing it by hand, but they've already dropped the oil and nitrogen out so no pressure there. Has it been successful lowering it like you have? I think alot of it is after a fairly bad off in February I've just lost a lot of confidence. I've got a cut down seat on at the moment and it didn't really help much, and I end up always sliding into the dip in the seat so always fighting to try and keep my arse where it should.

The lend of the tool would be awesome. Only problem is I'm in Bridgend in South Wales, about half way between Cardiff and Swansea. If you ever venture down this way of be willing to post it it would be great. I've got an extreme training day on the weekend of the 16th, so about 3 weeks away and would be cool to have it lower for that.

I'd say that it was successful for me, having said that you are losing 30mm of suspension travel so if you are into 'big air' then you might have some issues, I only green lane which means that my rear shock still has enough travel to run over the 'bobble hatters' without too much trouble! I did machine up some handle bar raisers so that I could push the forks through the yokes by 30mm but in the end I found that it felt better with the forks just pushed through about 5mm so I removed the handle bar spacers. The other thing with lowering the bike at both ends was that I found that it made the front feel heavy, it would not lift the front up as easily as I wanted it to, it would just spin up the rear. I think that this was because lowering both ends only reduces the wheel base by a couple of mm but it lowers the centre of gravity of the bike by 30mm, it makes the bike a 'bit' like a drag bike, long and low so that it does not wheelie. With the forks only 5mm through the yokes I guess the steering could have slowed up a touch but I've not noticed anything like that. In the end I was like you, its no good having the geometry perfect but you keep falling off the thing because its too high, I rather feel confident that I can get a foot down and save myself from crashing!

When I machined up the spacer I actually made two, I still have the spare one that I made which I guess I could sell to you if you like. (It's not anodized or anything fancy like that!) I am willing to post the tool to you if you pay for the postage! (If you don't post it back I'll send some 'heavy's round! LOL)

I'm running an Apico sidestand and from memory I cut about 15-20mm off the end of it because the bike was too upright once the shock was lowered.

I take it that your bike is running a *********** shock PDS style?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm definately not into any big air. Lol. Im currently finishing middle of the packish in Sportsman but only been racing this year, so I think I need to work as much on my slow speed riding as much as I do my faster stuff.

I'd definitely be interested in your spare spacer. I'm still running the standard pds shock. My bike is a '16 350. What year is you're? I think they changed the shock size for' 17 so if yours is pre 16 I think it should fit mine. I may also check to see what the older bikes are. My dads 250 is a 10 so I may get him a spacer as well if mine works out well. I'll be happy to pay for the postage of the tool as well as pay for the spacer. How much do you want for it? The zeta one is 30 quid, so anything less than that I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm definately not into any big air. Lol. Im currently finishing middle of the packish in Sportsman but only been racing this year, so I think I need to work as much on my slow speed riding as much as I do my faster stuff.

I'd definitely be interested in your spare spacer. I'm still running the standard pds shock. My bike is a '16 350. What year is you're? I think they changed the shock size for' 17 so if yours is pre 16 I think it should fit mine. I may also check to see what the older bikes are. My dads 250 is a 10 so I may get him a spacer as well if mine works out well. I'll be happy to pay for the postage of the tool as well as pay for the spacer. How much do you want for it? The zeta one is 30 quid, so anything less than that I'm happy.

Hi Gareth, Sorry, only just seen your post, this forum has a habit of not showing me new posts!

Anyway it was quite a bit of work to make the spacer so I reckon that 25 quid for the spacer would be a fair price, the postage for the spacer and tool would be on top of that and I guess it would not be more than a fiver so we could call it 30 quid all in. My bike is a 2013 300 exc, (2 stroke!) In order for the spacer to work the internal bore of your shock would need to be the same as my shock, measuring the spacer I get a measurement of approximately 50mm in diameter but its a bit tricky to measure the spacer because it has been cut in half!

In order for the tool to work your shock needs to have the same 'free length' as my shock, I can't measure the length of my shock at the moment because my bike is at my Dad's house because my garage is being rebuilt! Having said that the length of the tool could be changed by fitting longer lengths of 8mm stud iron which you can get from B&Q

Hopefully someone can let us know if your 350F shock is the same as my 2013 300 shock! (I'll have a look on Trevor Popes web site, if they have the same part number then we are in luck but even if they are different we still could be OK)

EDIT...Your shock body and mine have the same part number (50180833SA2) so I'm 99.9% sure that the spacer will fit and the tool will work!

If you are happy with the deal then PM your address and I'll get it posted to you ASAP. You can paypal me the 30 quid. :)

Reactions: Gazzarose and Ship

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the slow reply, I was eating a chicken curry.

30 is totally fine. I'll pm you my address now.

From what I could tell looking at things last night they changed from 50 to 48mm for the 2017 models.

You sir are a gentleman.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update time!

Well I got my hands on Petes tool, and what a magnificent tool it is!

I installed his spare spacer in my shock and also bought a Zeta one for my dads shock. I raised the forks up through the clamps by about 20mm and the bike seems to be sitting pretty level with about a 30mm drop at the seat. I did a quick hour to try it with a bit of light trail riding, but its first real test was at a Lee Walters extreme training day with Sam Winterburn. It was worth its weight in gold there, being able to get my feet on to the floor whenever I wanted, even on off cambers was brilliant. I've since done a few days green laning in Llandovery and other than being able to touch the floor, I can't tell any other difference in the way the bike handles, so all good! I'm only about 11 stone, so that probably helps that I don'y really need the full travel of the standard length shock. So if you're like me and struggle with leg length, and more so with confidence, the spacer is probably the best thing I've done to my bike.

Thanks again Pete

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Update time!

Well I got my hands on Petes tool, and what a magnificent tool it is!

I installed his spare spacer in my shock and also bought a Zeta one for my dads shock. I raised the forks up through the clamps by about 20mm and the bike seems to be sitting pretty level with about a 30mm drop at the seat. I did a quick hour to try it with a bit of light trail riding, but its first real test was at a Lee Walters extreme training day with Sam Winterburn. It was worth its weight in gold there, being able to get my feet on to the floor whenever I wanted, even on off cambers was brilliant. I've since done a few days green laning in Llandovery and other than being able to touch the floor, I can't tell any other difference in the way the bike handles, so all good! I'm only about 11 stone, so that probably helps that I don'y really need the full travel of the standard length shock. So if you're like me and struggle with leg length, and more so with confidence, the spacer is probably the best thing I've done to my bike.

Thanks again Pete

No worries, I'm pleased that it all worked out well for you. I must admit that when I pushed the forks through the yokes I felt that it made the front end feel heavy in a sort of 'stuck on the ground, more prone to wheel spin than lift the wheel' type of way. I think that this is because it lowers the centre of gravity of the bike but barely shortens the wheel base. I've pushed by forks back through the yokes back to the lower of the marking rings, the good thing about leaving the forks set quite high is that it does not affect the seat height by much. I have also cut about 20mm of foam out of my seat and then re-fitted the original seat cover. It wasn't very comfortable before this mod and it isn't any better now!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just been reading through this post as im considering buying a zeta ring myself, do you have a photo of the tool used? Wondering if its easy enough to knock one up to fit the ring,
Also could someone confirm im right in saying my bike would also be a 50mm spacer? Its a ktm exc 300 2014
Thanks

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Photos attached, I've no idea if the diameter of your shock is the larger or smaller size!

Attachments

Reactions: Mktn

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Petes tool made the job easy, just take your time and only go half a turn on each nut at a time.

Mine is still lowered and now that I've serviced the forks it's riding really well.

My '16 has a 50mm spacer, and I also fitted a 50mm spacer to my dad's '10, so yours should be 50mm as well. When I was looking it to it, it seems like it's the 17 on that change to the smaller one. Also,even though it's not listed for the linkage huskys, a 50mm fits and seems to work fine in my brothers '16 TE300.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the photos, made something similar, I decided to use steel box section notched to take the suspension can, with 25mm steel round section (cut in half welded in, cut the box section in half through the top and offset through the bottom, this way when it gets separated and bolted back round the shock it clamps back to itself and makes it solid again. Hopefully with the threaded bar running through 2 holes in the box section at the top it will help hold it straight aswel, I remember the hassle with spring compressors twisting off.
Now just waiting for the spacer to arrive.
IVe took abit of a gamble and gone for the 50mm with the thought of if it needed the 46mm I can turn it down on the lathe.
Just need another length of threaded bar aswel can only find one. Suspension is off and all stripped so fingers crossed it arrives soon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi lads just reading through this post, going to order one of these zeta spacers to help lower mine.
Can you confirm if it’s the red or blue spacer I need to order for my 09 excf250 shock and is anyone in northwest near Manchester with this tool for fitting it at all, happy to drop you a few quid for the use of i bring it down to you🤗

1 - 20 of 27 Posts