KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of you know I was in a RTA last week, my motor is a write off and the salvage company are coming to collect the car today along with the documents.

Thing is my MOT has run out, totally forgot and it's not like a week or two over, but it expired the 2nd week in July :redface:

Genuine bell ended thick dozy forgetfulness on my part, and my daughter uses the car most of the time and I guess that's a contributing fact to me not realising.

Bollox!!!!

The guy has declared full liability as he turned into a side street from the main road, unfortunately he didn't see me coming up the other way :wanker:

Is this going to affect my claim on his insurance???

Any advice appreciated as always fellas.

·
Registered
858 Posts
He's already admitted liability so I'd very much doubt it would make ant difference with that. It may reduce the amount they offer you for your car though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The day of the accident you were on your way to the mot station when some numpty hit you....weren't you!!!

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The day of the accident you were on your way to the mot station when some numpty hit you....weren't you!!!
Mmmmm when I spoke to the guy about the damage to the car he asked if I had the V5 and the MOT and I told him I did. So I don't really want to be spinning a yarn.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
bit of a bummer.... I guess all other docs were in order? we all make mistakes matey, I'd act dumb to it.

on a side note, there is a really good app for Iphone that is like a diary/maintenance log for your bike/cars that sends you reminders, might be a good £2 well spent?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Trouble is all MOTs are computerised now days, so just a quick look on the net will tell them - Id seek legal advice, urgently. No point in bullsh1tting them, it wont wash.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My current bike policy says that the payout will be reduced by 10% if the MOT has lapsed.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
My current bike policy says that the payout will be reduced by 10% if the MOT has lapsed.
Thats for a claim against your own policy..

·
Registered
940 Posts
They might not notice or if they do they will just value it at what its worth with no MOT, unless theres something wrong with it that they say might of contributed to the accident, bald tyre etc

what does the small print on your policy say?

·
Registered
849 Posts
You should be ok. Say nothing, it would ehlp if you knew a freindly MOT garage who could retropectivly slot you in on the day of the accident

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
afaik... if you were to hit a car with no insurance and it was your fault...you still have to pay for the damage.
so i presume that if your car didnt have an mot..it makes no difference to the above, they will have to pay out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
A good friend of mine was riding on straight road when oncoming car turned right in front of him.
he ended with horrendous injusries where he landed arms first on the road about 30ft past the car.
no insurance tax or mot. Didn't stop the judge from throwing the book at the car driver but mates claim was substantially reduced for injuries.
Fact was, insured or not insured, the driver should not have cut across the oncoming vehicle.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Unless a specific request is made for the MOT, then let the claim proceed. Unless you were at fault for the accident, or your vehicle is found to be unsafe, then it shouldn't affect the outcome:)

Oh, and get yourself a calender and put the renewal dates for everything in it - next time you may need to produce them;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was very lucky when i wrote of my 125 about 3 years ago....not until he asked can I have the documents for the bike and a valid MOT certificate...So when hunting for the MOT and found out it had ran out 2 weeks ago...I honestly said to the guy I cannot find it and all he said was dont worry about it just send what you have.I was bricking it because I would not of got the pay out and the cozzers would of been pissed at me lol...Never again!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I've just been in a similar situation, got hit by someone else, I wasn't asked for any documents at all as it was the other driver's fault. Payout on way :0)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Easy done DG , ive forgot about it loads of times , MOT the bike a couple of weeks back , been riding it a month without it ....I would say you wont have any problems and the solicitor shouldnt be wrong ..

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
You should be ok. Say nothing, it would ehlp if you knew a freindly MOT garage who could retropectivly slot you in on the day of the accident
What he said DG. the insurance company MAY ask for all the docs as essentially the car becomes their property. Our truck got stolen so a total loss and they wanted everything,service history ,mot etc to 'come up with an accurarate valuation' which was a bit rich seeing as they did'nt pay out at all!

·
Registered
940 Posts
What he said DG. the insurance company MAY ask for all the docs as essentially the car becomes their property. Our truck got stolen so a total loss and they wanted everything,service history ,mot etc to 'come up with an accurarate valuation' which was a bit rich seeing as they did'nt pay out at all!
I'd forget about doing that unless you want to lose 100% of the car's value and be charged with fraud

·
Registered
249 Posts
We have all done it im sure. i could never work out why they send you a tax reminder but not one for an mot.Money i suppose!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts