KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my suspension setup a few months back involving lighter front and rear springs.
Now that im jumping higher/further and generally riding faster im experiencing severe head-shake on fast straights, braking bumps and on landings.

The rear suspension I find soaks up the bumps and bangs nicely but the front is too stiff even though its on fully soft rebound and dampening.

If I bounce the bike standing on the peg the rear compresses but the front dosnt, this has got me thinking as a compromise should I stiffen the rear

To do this would I need to alter the preload adjuster?

I dont want to spend anymore on the suspension as im in the pipeline of getting a newer bike but would be nice to have an easier bike to ride for the next few meetings insted of a bucking bronco

·
Premium Member
31,545 Posts
when was the fork oil cbanged last? did you tighten the axle in the correct order?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil was probably changed about 4-5months ago.

Just looked at the owners manual and seems I need to redo the axle

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
/OTE=KevInYorks;612893]when was the fork oil cbanged last? did you tighten the axle in the correct order?[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
31,545 Posts
You need to avoid making the forks bind.

So tighten in this order:

Tighten Right fork clamp
Tighten Axle nut
Tighten Left fork clamp
Tighten Undo right fork clamp
Bounce bike or bang wheel about to allow axle to find its own position in clamp
Tighten right fork clamp

similar with fork oil. Old oil gets water and dirt in, gets really rough fork action. Oil change makes the forks smooth again.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
left right looking from the front or from the seat ?

·
Premium Member
31,545 Posts
Right as you are sitting on the seat.

Knob ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought id update this,

I should be racing sunday so il let you know how it goes. I loosened off the front wheel and retightened as Kev said, pulled the forks up through the clamp to number 2 ring to help weight the front more, pinched up the headstock bolt and turned up the compression and rebound on the rear shock.
Ive left the slow compression setting a bit softer

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Thought id update this,

I should be racing sunday so il let you know how it goes. I loosened off the front wheel and retightened as Kev said, pulled the forks up through the clamp to number 2 ring to help weight the front more, pinched up the headstock bolt and turned up the compression and rebound on the rear shock.
Ive left the slow compression setting a bit softer

Lifting the forks through the yoke will quicken the steering and make the head shake worse ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tomorrows job - lower the forks through the clamp to make headshake non-existant :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sags not too far off what ktm recommend. Just came back from a practise session, although headshake is still there its nowhere near as bad as it was, even when tired it was controllable

1 - 15 of 15 Posts