KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symtec or Oxford ? What are the best ? And are the Hein Gerricke heated grips the same as Oxford ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
i had a pair of oxford heated grips on my dr600,sitting at 70mph,no handguards,-2 degrees i had to turn them down from full on.toasty hands

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have Symtec grips on my 950SM with handguards, no problem commuting @ about 0 degrees wearing Astars GP plus gloves

·
Registered
222 Posts
Got Oxford 'Sports' on three of my bikes, very impressed with price and performance. Look for Version 7 (v.7) with softer grip a digital controller, four heat setting levels.

Timpo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got the KTM ones on the Adv and only wound them up to the start position. Have to turn them off after about 10 mins as they get to hot. Looking forward to proper cold now to see how they perform.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the KTM ones on the Adv and only wound them up to the start position. Have to turn them off after about 10 mins as they get to hot. Looking forward to proper cold now to see how they perform.
They look the same as Daytona heated grips in KTM packaging..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, I think your right. I just added heated grips as an option when I ordered the bike.

But the do work bloomin well whoever made them. Always had an issue with the ones on the Dakar as the left would get nice and toasty but the right was frankly shite.

No such problems with these

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yep, I think your right. I just added heated grips as an option when I ordered the bike.

But the do work bloomin well whoever made them. Always had an issue with the ones on the Dakar as the left would get nice and toasty but the right was frankly shite.

No such problems with these
I got the KTM ones on my SMT.They're not the best by a long chalk.Too bloody hot or not hot enough and nothing in between. End up flicking between start and on all the time. Mine are also starting to wear quite bad aswell after 12000 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Daytona/KTM grips are crap. I suppose they do comply with the Trades Description Act in that they heat the grips, but on full blast (Start) - they're so hot that they fry your mits and after a few miles they become uncomfortable, or luke warm (On). You'll keep having to switch between the two settings (just as the dealer warned when I had them installed).
Why they don't have a simple linear rheostat controller I have no idea. My heated jacket does and is easy to get right depending on the conditions and how many Shredded Wheat I had for breakfast.
I'm looking around for a substitute controller or a better set of grips before the winter kicks in.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hmmm, interesting comments. Maybe heated gloves would be a better solution
Need to run wires through your clothes then and unplug them etc. Too much of a pain in the arse for my liking. Gloves have also been known for overheating and cooking hands. Rode with my KTM grips all through last winter and just my summer gloves. Apart from too much heat/not enough heat they were fine. I now tend to just lift my palms and fingers off the grips and let some cool air in under my hand from time to time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've used Oxford heated hot hands overgrips for the past three years, they are good if a little toasty at times, brilliant bit of kit for the money. This year I have forked out a small fortune for EX02 Kit, vest and gloves. Out yesterday after fitting the kit to bike just to try same, the vest is the dogs, very good and not bulkey under a jacket.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered some Oxford heated grips off ebay and at a fair price £50 + £5 p&p......Thanks for the input....

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I had the symtec heated under grips on my lc4. Wicked mod I was still able to use renthal race grips and wear summer gloves all through winter so I still had some feel I can't stand winter gloves and think grips add in some handguards and these will also deflect the wind blast from your hands.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I've the KTM ones on my adventure and I find them spot on apart from one setting is too hot and the other not hot enough , it just means I gotta switch em on and off every now and then , no big deal really . I also have gerbing heated gloves , now there the mutts nuts and you can get an additional plug which goes into the dash socket so there is no need to hard wire the gloves to the battery . I use both , grips and gloves as I got shit circulation .

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought of the gloves but cant be arsed with the wires , i would forget to unplug them . I got off a bike the once and forgot to put the sidestand down and it went over , was outside the papershop at the time i felt a right twat ........I got a shit memory:dozey:

·
Registered
162 Posts
KTM must have changed their heated grips then, ,
I have the KTM heated grips, and our weather here doesnt get anywhere near as cold as it does up North
and I think they are complete crap when compared to the heated grips on my BMW GS and K12S

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fitted my Oxford heated grips just and very happy with them , they get hotter than i thought they would ..Connected them to the ACC2 wires . I shotened the cable that plugs between the grips and control unit as it was over a meter long and not much space behind the headlight .(Soldered and heatshrink on the joints)..

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had heated grips and handguards on my TDM (I commute and ride through the winter)...Not a keen advocate of heated grips, inside of the hands get hot, backs stay cold and finger tips still freeze.

When I changed to an XT660 this Feb I bought handle bar muffs. They look awful (of course) / or well hard, depending on your views. My hands were perfect, warmer than with the heated grips. Also great weather protection from rain . It was the best £45 I'veever spent on bike comfort).

Coincidentally, with winter coming I went and stuck them on the Adventure yesterday, just to see that they would fit. Yes. (that's over the top of the acerbis handguards I've got on there).

The only thing that might be better is heated grips AND muffs?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts