KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quicky ,leaving work today ,put the bike in gear and it cut out,I'm thinking the sidestand switch is possibly playing up as after a few times it resolved itself .Firstly coulldn't see an obvious switch when lying on the ground but where is it and secondly there are a couple of plug connectors running up from that area ,which colours are the sidestand wires so I could presumably short it out if it plays up again ,thought one of the trackdays boys (Scrawn) might have had issues when taking of sidestands .thankyou in advance

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Mine did that and it was at the clutch lever end. The stainless steel tag thing that operates the switch was in the wrong spot. Check it out, very easy fix.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
reckon its the sidestand end and there doesn't appear to be a standard switch ,that would be tooooo easy ,its got a small magnet on the sidestand with a sensor on the mounting ,so if anyone knows which wires to bridge should it go wrong or when it goes wrong I would appreciate it
I'm assuming warranty is only good for a year

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
My mates bike did this exact thing and it was the side stand switch. His was fixed under warranty. You can buy a simple plug and play box which goes straight into the connector to fool the bike into thinking the side stand is up. I've never done it but I'm assuming it's just and open and closed circuit so in theory you could just chop the plug off and either separate the wires or twist them together.

Oh and no I've never had any issues with removing the side stand or the electrics to go with it. I might have the switch kicking around somewhere in the bottom of a box if you are stuck. Don't think they are expensive though.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers Scrawn have jury rigged a wire into the connector for the neutral switch so if it fails again I can earth it out and fool it into thinking its in neutral and get me home .Will get onto Crescent in the morning and order a switch if it's not too expensive ,read somewhere it was £30.Bike is just over 2 years old so guessing I won't get it under warranty

·
Registered
66 Posts
I swear this is the culprit for those bikes that had sudden stall/cut out issues at speed when gear shifting a while back.
Didn't Brokenleggedbiker not have his down at Crescent to try to replicate it.
A simple fix perhaps.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quite possible ,on the way home it did for a split second cut out as i was slowing at Canford Bottom roundabout ,have the neutral switch earthed at the moment,switch ordered from Crescents ,coming in a couple of days ,just got to remember to check sidestand and make sure bike is in neutral before i start it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
quite possible ,on the way home it did for a split second cut out as i was slowing at Canford Bottom roundabout ,have the neutral switch earthed at the moment,switch ordered from Crescents ,coming in a couple of days ,just got to remember to check sidestand and make sure bike is in neutral before i start it :rolleyes:
It's what u call a reed switch so lubrication will not work its operated by the small round magnet on side stand. But if it has 3 wires it is possibly a Hall Switch Sensor and they work on voltage so would not short out !

·
Registered
206 Posts
just a quicky ,leaving work today ,put the bike in gear and it cut out,I'm thinking the sidestand switch is possibly playing up as after a few times it resolved itself .Firstly coulldn't see an obvious switch when lying on the ground but where is it and secondly there are a couple of plug connectors running up from that area ,which colours are the sidestand wires so I could presumably short it out if it plays up again ,thought one of the trackdays boys (Scrawn) might have had issues when taking of sidestands .thankyou in advance
I have a spare side stand switch if fancy want it.. its the unit on the back of the side stand mount... if you PM me your address ill post it off Friday afternoon?

Frenchy

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It's what u call a reed switch so lubrication will not work its operated by the small round magnet on side stand. But if it has 3 wires it is possibly a Hall Switch Sensor and they work on voltage so would not short out !
Ok, so don't spray wd on it, lol

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I find WD40, a hammer & any old screwdriver the perfect solution to most of my engineering issues :eek:
:rotflmao:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts