KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI GUYS FIRST OFF I'D LIKE TO SAY HELLO AND THANKS FOR A BRILLIANT FORUM.:D

I AM CURRENTLY THE PROUD OWNER OF A KTM 250 EXC-F RACING 2004 MODEL.
I HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT BOGGING AT LOW REVS SINCE I BOUGHT IT AND HAVE TRIED THE "O" RING MOD, TRIED ADJUSTING THE AP TIMING SCREW BUT TO NO AVAIL,

I NOW HAVE ANOTHER PROB WITH IT, IT FIRES UP FROM STONE COLD WITH NO CHOKE, ITS HOT ENOUGH TO RIDE ABOUT 30 SECONDS AFTER STARTING, BUT AS SOON AS THE ENGINE GETS HOT IT RUNS LIKE A BAG OF SPANNERS,

THE ENGINE TEMP ROCKETS TO THE POINT WHERE THE RADS ARE COOKING.
NOW THIS TO ME WOULD SUGEST ITS TOO RICH.

IVE HAD THE CARB OFF AND STRIPPED, CLEANED IT CHEKED ALL THE JETS AND REBUILT IT.

THE JETS ARE ALL STANDARD AS IS THE NEEDLE, FEUL MIX SCREW IS SET AS PER MANUAL, AND THE EXHAUST AND AIR BOX ARE BOTH STANDARD,

IM NOW BANGING MY HEAD OFF THE GARAGE WALL:hmh:

HAS ANYONE CAME ACROSS THE SAME PROBS OR HAVE ANY IDEAS TO GET ME BACK TO:scooter::):)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi have you seen that carb mod on e**y it helps to stop bogging .i havnt used one yet but my mate has just ordered one i will let you know how he gets on with it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool let me know how he goes with it. i was looking at the boyson AP kit on fleabay unfortunatley my fcr-mx37 doesnt have a leak jet, or a hot start or a TPS, pretty bloody basic realy. it is however over fueling the bike like no'ones buisness and i cant get to the bottom of it.

ive returned the carb to factory settings but as soon as the bike gets hot it dies a death and is unrideable,

·
Registered
298 Posts
manual air screws are rubbish get a standard one put a new plug in sounds like carb problem.........then try to borrow a plugin ignition box in front of tank that might be faulty

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
manual air screws are rubbish get a standard one put a new plug in sounds like carb problem.........then try to borrow a plugin ignition box in front of tank that might be faulty
its deffo a carb problem mate, as for the air screw its the standard one thats fitted along with all the jets and needle.
i havent modded any parts on the carb.

i just cant sus why its running so hot all the time.

10 mins of idle and the pipe is starting to glow which to me says major fecking trouble in the carb department.

just to note ive been riding and repairing bikes for 20+ years and this thing has got me baffled.:hmh::hmh::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
31,506 Posts
How much compression has it got?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi kev, pleny compresion mate checked vavle clearances cold 0.12mm all round so ok in that dept also fitted a new plug, old one that came out was a bit sooted so deffo running rich.

just cant figure out where the prob is in the carb?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I know nowt (so be aware) is it getting enough air? just an odd ball thought

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hhhmmmmm nice slant on it mate, maybe instead of to much fuel it a lack of air. geuss what i will be cheking tommorow.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
any news?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
first prize to battle, finaly got ma compressor back, so took out the main air jet and gave it all a good blow through and hey presto,

so cheers for that battle give yourself a pat on the back.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
ironicly i have'nt a clue how to strip a carb!! just a lucky guess as the old motor needs 3 things to go bang and you had 2 of them! very pleased its working,

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that makes 2 of us mate, the thing of it is i had the air jet out and cleaned it but neglected to clen the airway in the carb due to a lack of commpresed air,

its always the simple ones that get you flumuxed.

alls well that end well. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts