KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my first post here, I'm about to go and pick up an 05 EXC 450 so thought I'd come and have a read up to help build the excitement!

A couple of questions...this is my first enduro type bike (except an mtx 125) I've always had sportsbikes, is there anything particular I should be keeping an eye out for or checking other than the more regular servicing?

I'd like to have supermoto/enduro options as I will be using a fair bit on the road and want to do some sumo trackdays as selling my sportsbike but dont want to miss the track buzz!, (its just got standard enduro setup at the moment...) What size wheels will I need?

What else is involved switching to Supermoto setup? Is it literally just wheels and brakes (and sprockets/Chain) to start with and maybe stiffen up the suspenders? Or am I living in lala land...?

I live just around the corner from some green lanes in Shere, Surrey anyone else on here down this way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
why not race enduro instead. Good fun and will not shag the bikes engine out so much.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
why not pop your cherry with a chec event next weekend?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look into it if I haven't broken my collarbone!

I had a rude welcome to club KTM this evening, went to pick it up, rode about 20 miles home, spent 30 mins on local green lanes then on way back the front brake locked on! (without me applying it) and chucked me down the road at 45mph! Snapped gear lever, very painful shoulder and red cheeks! (very embarrassing!)

So, I'm guessing there must have been a bubble in brake line or something? Any ideas?

Just glad I had my gear on! I ended up loosening off the bleed screw draining it and riding home with no front brake in case it happened again!

Despite all that, I'm still in love, it's an awesome piece of kit!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
mmm he may have fitted new pads and if if had topped it up with the old ones in there might not have been enough air gap in the system. If they pads were rubbing on the disc they would have heated up and locked the brake. Or maybe the pistons are full of crud and the same thing could happen but not heard of that happening on a ktm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips, I'll strip the front brake system down over the weekend and give it a good clean up etc. I was planning on spending the first day of ownership learning how to ride it not fixing it but hey ho, it'll be fun either way!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
you'll never guess - i was on the way home from work and just as i was coming off the hanger lane junction there was a ktm on the side of the road - turns out the front brake was locked on!
it was a youngster and had no tools but the trusty leatherman come into good use again and solved the problem. he'd turned in the adjuster too much and hydrolocked the system once it got hot.

turns out he;s going to be racing with us next weelend!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow what a weird coincidence!!

Forgive probably a stupid question! But which adjuster do you mean? My brake lever doesn't seem to have any adjustment? Am I being dim?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
you don't have a little black knob?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
On the lever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm I'll have a good look tomorrow and take some photos, it wouldn't be the first time I'd been dim!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahha...I wasnt going mad...it looks like mine has snapped off, (or wasnt there in the first place...Ive ordered a couple of replacement levers...

My lever...

So, I stripped the brakes down today and found the pads looking like this...

Also it seems the brake lines are full of air??? Im struggling to bleed the brakes...although until ive cleaned them up and fitted new pads Im not too fussed, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

In my haste to strip them down (and my complete lack of mechanical knowledge!) I managed to rip the rubber seal off here...any ideas where I can get a new one???

Also, once I had the pads out, I noticed a metal clip type thing behind them on the lower section (with the arrow) should there be one on the upper section too?

Absolutley gutted that its bank holiday tomorrow...so after being all excited about picking up a new toy...Im now going to have to wait till wednesday at the earliest (probably next weekend) to get a proper go!!!

Having done around 70'000 miles on bikes on the road over the last couple of years relatively incident free (apart from a couple of rider induced cockups) Im seriously paranoid about this thing chucking me off again!

Any/all advice is much appreciated!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
at work so i'll be brief. Lever hp almost certainly the cause. With out some slack in the system when the pads expand it'll lock up like i explained earlier. Only one clip at the bottom but there hp one more on the top side.those pads are now u/s. If you can find them dunlopad are one of the best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help...

I took the lever off today, it doesn't look like it's snapped off, just that there was never a knob, but it's fully extended, I twisted it in a bit and te lever now has 5-10mm play before te brake engages.

The pistons in the caliper are different lengths but I think that's just where I pushed them to when taking them off.

So I managed to get some cheap pads today just to get me up and running, I'll order some dunlopads asap.

But still having problems, I'll try and explain, please remember I am a complete novice with this!

I've cleaned all the brakes up (didn't take
Pistons out or anything just took caliper off bracket and gave everything a good dose of brake cleaner/toothbrushing...

Put it all back together and tried to bleed them...

But no joy, now I may be doing it wrong, but no matter what I try I cant seem to get any pressure down te brake line from the lever! I'm very confused.

I've read a load of 'how to bleed brake' things on Internet, and never had any problems bleeding brakes on other bikes but just don't seem to be getting anywhere...

I'm about ready to give up and take it to a professional!

Any clues before I chuck the towel in?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Kevinyorks uses a good method to get air out of the pipe

I think he pulls the brake pipe out to the side so that there isn't a big loop at the top where air can get trapped and uses his knee on the caliper to push the pistons back in which empties the air from the caliper itself. Then he bleeds it? Someone can fill in the details if KIY doesn't see this thread first.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, if there's not air in the system...I presume there is a valve that the lever pushes to engage the brake...

My theory is this, do say if I'm being retarded!

The bike had been standing for a while, the guy went to test it before I picked it up, the front brake was a bit soft, so he tightens the adjustment screw to max...

The pads/fluid heats up, There's no room for expansion...result callipers locked on one end, valve blown the other, and me splattered all over the road...

Does this make sense?

I'd really really like to know exactly what happened so I can ride this thing with confidence in the future!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its more likely that the pistons were just not free and the rubbing pads heated up and expanded things to the point where it jammed the brake on.

Do as KIY does with your knee on the caliper and the pistons should push back into the caliper quite easily or there's something wrong?

You yourself have shown there is no actual adjuster present on your lever

1 - 20 of 25 Posts