KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Josh Plews speaking Founder of Gibson Tyre Technology.

I wanted to introduce my self and the company, everyone inside the company are active riders and racers. We are not people you can't approach and ask questions about anything relating to the products or the tyre industry. We don't bite, but we do ride!

We WANT your ideas and feedback. I'm happy to answer any questions you have and share any kind of advice or guidance you might need.

I come from a motocross background, but i still enjoy riding enduro, we have been working really hard on our Enduro range of the past year. Id like to share some information with you all about our range.

There is a possibility of some product discount for members who are willing to give honest reviews on our products. :eek::D

All the products are developed in the U.K, tyre design, compound design, testing, everything is done in the U.K or across Europe with various riders and technicians that are in our team.

So let me give you a run down of our products starting with the tyres.

1. TECH 9.1 - 90/100/21 FIM - ECE - DOT Approved. Available Soft/Standard constructions
2. TECH 8.1 - 90/90/21 FIM - ECE - DOT Approved
3. TECH 6.2 - 140/80/18 FIM - ECE - DOT Approved. Available in Standard/Soft/supersoft constructions for class and hard enduro racing.
4. TECH 7.1 - 110/100/18 FIM - ECE - DOT Approved available in standard/soft/supersoft constructions for class and hard enduro racing.

We are developing further sizes and patterns for enduro sports, currently we have a hard range being developed for really hard surfaces, this product will come in various sizes like 120/100/18. Expect to see it launched in the summer.
Our 6.2 is the classic FIM pattern, it works very well across nearly all conditions but the TECH 7.1 excels in loamy dirt due to the aggressive pattern with a higher tread depth.

Gibson Speedy Mousse

These products are made in the EU. They have won many hard enduro races with Graham Jarvis, who is currently using them, he used them at several races in 2017 including the roof of africa where he used only one mousse for the whole event, ask him your self. He uses the mousses because he feels they are the best mousse, we don't pay him and we don't have a contract with him yet, how ever we are testing and developing with him so maybe he will be an official Gibson rider in the future who knows.

The mousse is ultra light weight, but most importantly it comes in various hardness degrees with an incredible compound that has higher elasticity properties than any other mousse we have touched so far, this combined with the patented ring formula give the correct hardness out of the box, the correct size with a really durable compound that is light, high in elasticity so the material can take a huge amount of energy without losing its physically properties even with a soft compound.

The circle rings come in 8 or 16 rings, this concept is patented, the rings remove material from the mousse allowing heat to escape from the surface of the tyre, also allowing the hardness of the mousse to be adjusted slightly without the need to adjust the compound.

With a mousse you have several tolerances, the compound hardness is a tolerance that means the density and elasticity of the materials has a set limit you can only go so far with it before certain physical properties are compromised. The same goes for the section width and overall diameter of the mousse, you can adjust those parameters to adjust the fit, feel and hardness of the mousse, but there are limits to all of these variables. The aim of the speedy mousse is to combine all the variables and find the right balance in the mousse, so its not too hard, too soft, too big, too small, so its last long enough, so it doesn't need to be drilled or adjusted just fit it and ride it.

They also come protected in a special plastic coating, all mousses on the market today are produced and warehoused, from that point to the point of fitting it to your machine the mousse will shrink and incredible amount if the mousse doesn't start the correct size you will never get the durability you're used to or expect, this is why people find a good mousse then a bad mousse. We were the first to stop that problem and maintain the proper size with our mousses from the day it was produced to the day you remove the plastic coating.

You can view the full range of sizes and hardness settings in our catalog below, the new compound has just been released for the speedy mousse "Race" compound has been raced on by Graham Jarvis, Travis Teasdale, Pol Tarress, Billy Bolt, Jonny Walker, Michele Bosi.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/59840426/english-issue-of-the-2018-gibson-tyre-catalogue/16

As always a tyre is a compromise, we are always developing new concepts, new ideas and we are always trying to improve, nothing is ever perfect. We appreciate your ideas, advice and feedback as people who are riders just like your selfs its in all of our interests to come up with new ideas and better ways to use our tyres and mousses.

We are not trying to tell you what you're using isn't good or it doesn't work, we fully respect everyones opinion and I'm not trying to convince everyone to drop what they're using and go buy one of our products, I'm just here to talk to anyone who is curious about any of our products or wants to know a little more about the brand and what its intentions are over the next 3/5 years.

My email is
[email protected]

My phone number is
+441242 31 20 19

You're all more than welcome to contact me anytime with any kind of questions and queries.

Thanks
Josh Plews

Managing Director

·
Registered
358 Posts
I like that the speedy mousse has an "improved discharge". The Mrs has been nagging me to improve my discharge for a while now.

·
Registered
358 Posts
On a more serious note what are the prices? Specifically the 6.2 rear (as that looks similar to the mitas I currently use) and the 16 ring speedy mousse?

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you need any tested on a KTM 690 Enduro R ridden by an someone happy to get home from greenlaning without hurting himself or the bike, I can give you a review on them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a more serious note what are the prices? Specifically the 6.2 rear (as that looks similar to the mitas I currently use) and the 16 ring speedy mousse?
The prices of the products are as follows in pounds including vat,

TECH 9.1 = 45.00 Standard - 49.00 Soft.
TECH 8.1 = 45.00
TECH 6.2 = 59.00 Standard - 63.00 Extreme
TECH 7.1 = 50.00 Standard - 53.00 Extreme
120 Speedy Mousse 16 ring = 105.00
120 speedy mousse 8 ring = 105.00
140 speedy mousse 8 ring = 125.00
140 speedy mousse 16 ring = 120.00

We also sell the mousse lube in larger tubs 5kg, we have our own fitting machines, pit mats and other merchandise items.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
motocross tyres?
Yes we have a full range.

MX 1.1 - Intermediate front tyre.

MX 3.1 - Soft rear tyre

MX 4.1 - Mid hard rear tyre.

MX 5.1 Sand paddle.

We won several rounds of the Maxxis British championship last year with Harri Kullas who also finished 10th in the MX2 class at the MX of nations.
Tanel Leok also put us on the podium several times in 2016, with MVRD Racing.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
What does this mean in bold please? Can you be more specific as to what's going on and how (in relation to mousses above)

"The circle rings come in 8 or 16 rings, this concept is patented, the rings remove material from the mousse allowing heat to escape from the surface of the tyre, also allowing the hardness of the mousse to be adjusted slightly without the need to adjust the compound."

·
Registered
358 Posts
Doesn't it just mean there's less of the mousse In contact with the tyre leading to less friction, less heat and therefore less wear on the mousse?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What does this mean in bold please? Can you be more specific as to what's going on and how (in relation to mousses above)

"The circle rings come in 8 or 16 rings, this concept is patented, the rings remove material from the mousse allowing heat to escape from the surface of the tyre, also allowing the hardness of the mousse to be adjusted slightly without the need to adjust the compound."
Of course.

The patented circle rings do two different things that both results in performance gains.

1. The circle rings, allow trapped air that sits between the tyre inner liner and the surface of the mousse to escape resulting in cooler mousses. Like anything if the mousse gets too hot, it will result in breaking down the mousse and causing more stress on the material. Witch will effect the physical properties.

2. The circle rings are one of the variables that help adjust the hardness of the mousses, 8 rings = mid hard 16 rings = mid soft. But we also play around with the compound hardness and the size of the mousse, so we don't need to take away too much material or loose the physical properties in the compound by taking it too soft or too hard.

3. The key point is to use all the variables but allowing the properties of the mousses to stay well within the limits, this is how you achieve performance gains without compromising too much, example, if you drill holes in your mousses that totally changes the way the mousse works, you take out so much materials that the mousse begins to crush and fold in on its self and it results in far less durability this is why Graham Jarvis was so surprised he could use one mousse across three days at the roof of Africa and it was still fine when at the end of the race.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't look at it in one perspective, rings do help keep it cooler, they do help it become a little softer, we prefer to look at the circle rings as one factor that helps improve performance along with the compound and the size they all are highly important factors in making the mousse work, between the 8 ring 120/80/18 mousse and the 16 ring 120/80/18 ring mousse we make three changes.

1. The section width and overall diameter of the 120/80/18 (8) ring is bigger, the compound is slightly harder.
2. The section width and overall diameter of the 120/80/19 (16) ring is smaller, the compound is slightly softer.
3. So if you have one mousse thats a little bit smaller, has a little less material by adding another 8 rings and it has a slightly softer compound, you end up with a softer mousse but without losing all the physical properties that you need to make a soft mousse that lasts well. If you just drill the mousse or make the compound ultra soft you can't keep the correct tolerances that make it perform and last.

I hope this make sense.

Yes the circle rings allow heat to escape, the compound can be harder or soft depending on your needs and the size can be bigger or smaller depending on your needs. We try to offer the complete package for riders who know what they want out of a mousse.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Thanks - that's comprehensive in terms of words, but it doesn't explain where the heat goes. You mention the rings allow heat to "escape", but to where? If the tyre is the correct fit to the mousse, the rim will be pushing on it from the other side, and it will take more energy to dissipate heat through the rim that it would through the tyre in the normal way (with any mousse). What is your scientific explanation for the rings, or are they just a nice idea for marketing reasons?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your theory is correct when the tyre is applying pressure to the contact patch. But when the wheel turns it is unloaded at the top allowing for extra room for that hot air to move from the surface, just taking that hot air away from the very surface of the mousse and the inner tyre helps cool it down.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Every new product on the market is good for us consumers. We need as much competition as possible so that manufacturers have the incentive to improve their products, innovate and keep prices in check. I welcome Gibsontyre to the list of already great products, look forward to testing the range for the extreme riding I do and hope they live up to expectations. :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, we want to hear about what you currently use and why too ? What do you like about the tyres you currently ride on ? What do you dislike ?

·
Administrator
9,161 Posts
Well I’d get in quick if I were you ‘cause if he don’t play by the rules, tonight will be his last night ;)

Reactions: Nokkaz

·
Registered
99 Posts
Brilliant, where did you buy them from ?

Be great to see some photos if you have any :)
I came via Wales & West Enduro...I spoke to Adam on the phone and I went with his advice, he fitted them for me mid January, there about 30 hours in now, I need to take them off the end of March to swap of to a trails tyre so I’ll see how they’re doing and report back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I thought air was a rubbish conductor of heat hence why it’s used as insulation and not as a conductor? I can see how the rings could reduce heat though as there is less surface to surface friction but I can’t believe the air in the ring space is conducting heat better to the tyre surface to lose it.

The rings make a lot of sense in tuning for pressure/feel though.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts