KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me am I just unlucky with Lids they seem to fall to bits after 4 years AGV,Arai,Bell and now my Shark Spartan Carbon, Visor 拢50 and the lower vent 拢10 falling to Bits :mad:

Administrator
Shoei all the way. Mine's taken a proper bashing over the years and is still good.

Registered
I thought you had to bin them after 5 years anyway ?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You can imagine each manufacturer has a recommendation for their helmets. Arai recommends you replace your helmet 5 years from the day you first use your motorcycle helmet. Whereas other manufacturers such as Shoei, recommend replacing your helmet 7 years from the date of production. Generally, the advice from all helmet manufacturers is to replace your helmet every 5 years under 鈥渘ormal鈥 use, but emphasise that the life of a helmet should really depend on how it鈥檚 been used.The more you ride, the shorter yours helmets life expectancy is.The greatest long term damage to your helmet is done by the sun鈥檚 UV rays.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought you had to bin them after 5 years anyway ?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You can imagine each manufacturer has a recommendation for their helmets. Arai recommends you replace your helmet 5 years from the day you first use your motorcycle helmet. Whereas other manufacturers such as Shoei, recommend replacing your helmet 7 years from the date of production. Generally, the advice from all helmet manufacturers is to replace your helmet every 5 years under 鈥渘ormal鈥 use, but emphasise that the life of a helmet should really depend on how it鈥檚 been used.The more you ride, the shorter yours helmets life expectancy is.The greatest long term damage to your helmet is done by the sun鈥檚 UV rays.
Shark suppose to have a 5 year warranty :unsure:
So in theory they should last for more than 5 years :poop:
If I am lucky use them a couple of months a year

Registered
Think it depends on the material it's made from too. Fibre glass - 5yrs, Carbon 10yrs...something like that anyway.

Premium Member
2019 ktm superduke r & 2015 kwak z1000
Is it me am I just unlucky with Lids they seem to fall to bits after 4 years AGV,Arai,Bell and now my Shark Spartan Carbon, Visor 拢50 and the lower vent 拢10 falling to Bits :mad:
Take it back to where you bought it and it will be fixed under warranty

Registered
I thought the lifespan of a helmet was to do with the polystyrene packing distorting to the shape of your head thus becoming less effective.
Not sure about nowadays but isnt the testing a simulation of a 15 mph direct impact?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take it back to where you bought it and it will be fixed under warranty
Too much Chew I got it on tinternet Get Geared, means sending it away, got visor today and ordered a vent from your neck of the woods Crossan motorcycles but it's on back order 8-12 weeks
In the future may look at these good reviews and reasonable priced visors (y)

Registered
Too much Chew I got it on tinternet Get Geared, means sending it away, got visor today and ordered a vent from your neck of the woods Crossan motorcycles but it's on back order 8-12 weeks
In the future may look at these good reviews and reasonable priced visors (y)

SHOEI. As previously said. After trying many helmets over the years I only use the Shoei. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had an Arai nice helmet fitted well, visor prices a joke and again fell to pieces visors,side pods,base plates and all the vents packed in Astro R Kevin Schwantz that was my gixxer days :rolleyes:

Registered
Shoei road and offroad lids...kwality.

I used an Arai at A Ron Haslam day at Donnington, comfy, can't remember if it was noisey or not.

I fancy a Shoei X-spirit next, dunno if it's noisy compared to a GT Air ???

Premium Member
Had an Arai nice helmet fitted well, visor prices a joke and again fell to pieces visors,side pods,base plates and all the vents packed in Astro R Kevin Schwantz that was my gixxer days :rolleyes:
They鈥檝e moved on since then with new side pods n visor mechanisms ..

Premium Member
Shoei road and offroad lids...kwality.

I used an Arai at A Ron Haslam day at Donnington, comfy, can't remember if it was noisey or not.

I fancy a Shoei X-spirit next, dunno if it's noisy compared to a GT Air ???
It will be noisier as it鈥檚 a race lid so designed for maximum air flow internally and externally (ventilation and aerodynamics)

Registered
It will be noisier as it鈥檚 a race lid so designed for maximum air flow internally and externally (ventilation and aerodynamics)
I thought that but I've heard a couple of people say they've done the swap and not noticed any noise increase.... so not sure what to believe and unfortunately it's not something you can try.

Registered
i got a shoei lid after years of Arai , i only tried because the drop down tinted visor saves swapping and carrying dark visor for Arai..i dont really like the Shoei it is noisier i reckon and i wished i had not bloody brought it :D still got my Arai well all of them from years back i cant get rid of them as nowt really wrong just i cant resist buying and keeping tonns of motor bike clothing ,gloves lids you name it...also BF got a Shoei at same time says it gets on his tits the noise as he has tititus too

Premium Member
I thought that but I've heard a couple of people say they've done the swap and not noticed any noise increase.... so not sure what to believe and unfortunately it's not something you can try.
Unfortunately not 鈥 I have tinnitus too and my rx-7v is a full race lid so some say it鈥檚 noisy but I find it ok I鈥檝e no issues with it - I wear auritech ear plugs but is Cardo packtalk bold also for music and sat nav. Not had an issue tbh with any of it. But I鈥檓 bias towards Arai as I love the fact that they are a hand made helmet and are just so comfy for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
i got a shoei lid after years of Arai , i only tried because the drop down tinted visor saves swapping and carrying dark visor for Arai..i dont really like the Shoei it is noisier i reckon and i wished i had not bloody brought it :D still got my Arai well all of them from years back i cant get rid of them as nowt really wrong just i cant resist buying and keeping tonns of motor bike clothing ,gloves lids you name it...also BF got a Shoei at same time says it gets on his tits the noise as he has tititus too
I carry my spare clear visor in a visor sack round my waist and find it ok. Personally I don鈥檛 like the drop down sun visors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts