KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new lid - Airoh Stelt Monster. Thought I'd jot down a few lines about it in case anyone else is considering buying a new helmet.

Their slogan is "Feel the difference" and I felt it: when I picked up the box I thought I'd been had. This helmet is lighter than air!
Out of the box, I have to say its an aggressive look, good paint job with nice details.
Very good fit; better than my previous helmets (mostly Shoei). Especially snug (in a comfortable and supportive way) in the back of the neck.
Reasonable finish (3rd only to Arai or Shoei IMO).
No nonsense bits on this lid; the airflow openings dont have an open/close flick.
Double D rings - I prefer the seatbelt-buckle-click system you get in some helmets as its less to fiddle with what with gloves on etc.

On a side note, two very strong recommendations:

1). Get yourself some Quick Strap to replace your regular goggle straps. Google it. Fantastic invention, super easy to remove your goggles and as easy to put em back on.

2). Pro Grip Goggles 3450's with light sensitive lenses - best antifog goggles I've ever had. This is my 3rd pair, and I cant tell you how often my riding mates have complained of fogged up goggles when mine were 100% fine.

Hope its of some help to someone,

Hans

·
Registered
938 Posts
one industries massacre for me ,no complaints there ,also agree with you on the pro grip goggles ,but now using fox :cool:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Double D rings - I prefer the seatbelt-buckle-click system you get in some helmets as its less to fiddle with what with gloves on etc.

I 'm not sure but I think helmets have to have double d rings to gain acu gold approval.
Not an ACU requirement but some event organisers dont let you use the seat belt type helmet as they have been known to come open in and accident.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not only that, but with D rings, you re-tighten them everytime, rather than setting a belt and leaving it to potentially move/stretch.
Those D rings are a pain in the arse to close though, so there's something to be said about a quick and easy snap/buckle. I learned the hard way when I was 16, out desert racing with mates (I grew up in Egypt).

We had stopped for a break at the turn around point - a place called the Petrified Forest, and when we set off I hadn't fastened my helmet (pesky D rings!). So I stopped to fasten it and waved the others by, thinking I'd catch up with them. In doing so I dropped a few minutes behind on the pack.

Now I know I should have just kept within my own capability and at a safe pace, but I was 16 - you know :redface: In my hurry to catch up with them I had a 90kph off (the front dropped into an old grenade crater that I hadn't spotted and I went flying over the handlebars).

The Petrified Forest is terrain consisting of very hard sand stone and old chunks of fossilized wood... I was wearing just helmet and boots (and tshirt and jeans...). No body or elbow protectors.

Result: scars that took months to heal, broken elbow, 3 broken ribs and chipped hipbone. And an infection to the scar on my hip - a cut / road rash so deep it scrapped the hip bone. I had road rash under my arm / in my armpit, my right nipple looked like a slice of pepperoni. Petrifying indeed!

The helmet stayed on though :dozey: In any case, the lesson I learned is to wear proper protection, properly.

BTW I'm not saying one system is better than the other (I would have learned the same lesson another day). But there's something to be said about convenience of use.

:burp:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts