KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used the theory that the price of your helmet corresponds to how much you value of your head.
However, after trying numerous helmets at a well known discount off road bike shop it worked out that the last year's £350 Arai knocked down to £199 didn't fit and was just bling, the £200 somethingorother didn't fit very well, the £200 Lazer reduced to £75 was too small, but the £125 GMAC was knocked down to just £35 (because it was a 2007 colour scheme/distressed stock probably) fitted just right.
All of these helmets have the same ACU "Kite Mark", but should I be worried that a £35 GMAC helmet fresh out of its box won't protect my bonce in the way that an Arai/Shoei knocked down to £200 might do - which is what I would have paid if they had fitted properly.
A better fit is better than the bling, and for £30 I can afford a new helmet every time I crash, but wondered if anyone had experience of the budget helmet market?
Cheers

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
basically speaking, for any helmet to sell it must pass some testing criteria. as far as I can make out everything else is about comfort, fit, ease of use, finish quality, brand recognition and style, oh and not forgetting weight.

personally, I would spend no more than £100 for an off-road only lid (wouldnt knock anyone for spending more) as the combination of occasional spills and the dirt that grinds away the surface finish. Iv'e never had any problems with cheaper helmets, taken some pretty big falls. the only thing I find is that they don't last forever and will look fairly 'tired' pretty quickly... HTH.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
i have 2 lids 1 is a airoh stelt amazing ld the lightest on the market less than 1kg thats light and aslo a thor force i lke the look of the force but it weighs 1500gramme s and you can tell. if you look after them they last ages i wash mine EVERY TIME and thy still look mlnt both lids were under 150quidhope that helps

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
This has been covered a fair bit in the past.

Price is not really the deciding safety factor, materials used is far more important, and a sub 100 pound helmet made of the right materials can be way safer than a super expensive one...

Use the search facility to try and find the old thread

Seth

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Offroad... £50 Wulfsport, its got an ACU gold sticker, feels solid enough and I wont be going that fast anyway!

Onroad... £400 Arai, simple physics and murphy's law dicitates that you are more likely to hit something immovable at high speed if you have an off. My brain pays the wages and I've got a scuffed Arai and an incident with no pain or concussion to prove that they work!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think the big problem with Off road helmets is the std used i.e Bs, Kite, snell and Eu ones etc is designed for road riding with higher 'G' loadings not off road this means less give when a rider hits thier head. We need a off road std!

Re; Acu Gold stamp...not worth the paper its printed on since the ACU decided to sell them to any one (on the net have a look) and freely available on EBay right now for a few quid!

I would not wear a helmet that cost less than my inner tube!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Only experience ive had is, get one that fits right, i wouldnt wear a cheaper end of the market one due to peace of mind, but my team mate wears a £30 dixon and had no problems,

The gold sticker suplied to wholesalers from acu are worthless and do not mean its a reliable safe lid, !!!!!!!

only thing these days is people go for lightness ,, but i think you have to compromise something to get them so light,

we have had loads of airoh lids shown to us with holes and cracks in, which are the lightest, but it must have worked because they brought it back to show us..still alive

Ive decided to start wearing an arai ,, mainly due to the safety feature and the fit, but there costly, but £10 helmet £10 head.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i smashed my arai tour cross on the side of a quad bike last time i was out riding,and i mean cracked bad,then i ask myself what would of happend if i was wearing a cheap helmet?me i think you get what you pay for,iv worn cheap boots and spent 3years off work with a broken foot,now i only buy the best,or i think its the best,i now think if i do a dangerous hobby then i owe it to my family to stay as safe as i poss can,ie best gear.or am i gettin to old or talking bollocks ha ha

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice advice
Problem is the cheap one is the only one that fitted properly which must be better than having a £200 lid wobbling around.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
GET THE LID THAT FITS RIGHT. An ill fitting lid aint gonna protect jack sh1t if it doesn't fit right.
Me personally,i have an ARAI/Shoei shape head hence i wear these but if i had a 50p helmet shaped head,i would wear a 50p helmet if that is what fitted me best.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
ARAI for me too, I have a vx3 Salminem replica.

Your heads the most important part on your body... protect it properly.

You wouldn't put treacle in your bike engine would you ??

Nik wears VX3 too, but the wide load model !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts