KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
625 04 changed oil and filters went for a small run to check oil level/leaks no problems. three days later went to start bike so i could get to work, engine wouldnt fire. the follwing day tried without success checked fuel ok, checked spark pug bit wet dried it plenty of spark still wont start. bumped down a big bank still wouldnt fire, sweated my nuts off pushing it back. well hacked off basic mech skills any suggestion please cheers jeff:hmh:

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
did you bleed the oil system after you changed it

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
hmmmm drain all your fuel from carb and try starting again with no choke sounds flooded -maybe try a fresh plug? its a cheap option had a similar thing happen with me old 640.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gents drained fuel from carb kill switch seems fine never had to use it, re bleeding oil when i filled the frame i didnt get the required amount into the frame and oil did come out of the frame filler in any event i went for a samll ride just to make sure i had the level right. the engine is turning over but not firing. i have checked oil at frame and oil comes out, oil in engine sight glass between the marks however i cant see oil in the clutch housing on the other side is the normal when engine is cold, also other than tilting the bike over and draining fuel is there a better way will this make any difference and will the oil make any difference i did put got the correct amount in got me worried now with the oil, i now have the battery on charge thanks jeff

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
jeff if theres not enough oil this wont prevent the bike from starting, your carb should have an allen key drain bolt on the bottom of the bowl? cant remember with the mikunis tbh but the keihin deffo has - no tilting. Change the spark plug as a matter of course - a few pounds...try draining the carb (turn fuel tap off ;) lol) change the spark plug and try statrting again.
Silly q have you tried kicking it over???

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks mate will buy another plug, i did try kicking it no joy other than it knackering me will try and drain carb correctly once again thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
battry's okay?? had starting probs with mine turned out bat was knackered, is it turning over okay?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have put the battery on charge will try again in the morning it was turning over but battery died after a few goes did try and bump it dont know if a fooked battery will prevent it from starting i know my superbike will not run with a dodgy battery thanks jeff

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
checked air box drained carb checked plug sparking well battery fully charged still wont fire. pressed kill switch on the right bar whilst pressing starter and the starter died so i guess the kill switch is fine, are there fuses that may stop the engine firing or is there away that i can disconnect both kill switches just to rule them out

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
you may have done this already, take plug out, attatch plug cap and hold the plug against engine and try starting, should spark, if no or a weak park then electrical, if good spark then fuel.

bat is still questionable, mine showed it as charged but was nackered, the bat should be able to turn engine/starter for a good number of times before dying. (I could'nt bump mine or kick it)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gents batt good and have removed plug placed against engine have a good spark dont think i have the side stand switch fitted, but will check. getting fuel into the carb as i have drained it a couple of times cheers jeff

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
this is what i would do, first put a new plug in. i would be suprised if it didnt fire straight up. or tip a can of wd40 up side down and as you press the start button. spray into the hole of the intake of the air box. not the liquid ,just the gas from the can.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks mate will try that, will try anything at the minute getting well pissed off now cant even get it to a mechanic as i have not got access to a van

1 - 20 of 44 Posts