KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's so today , ive been scrolling through the web and found this ktm 250 "2stroke" 2001-2002 Year.
Im not sure about it a bit .

It has black plastic's , the guy does not have orange plastics ?? why. .
the engine side case is gold ?? the guy said its a limited edition ?
Is it true ? ive been all over the web looking for the answer but still dident find one yet :/ so maybe you can help me.
And third of all , he says its a ktm 250 exc - but it does not have light's or speedo ? so it must be an sxf ?? :)
The guy said to me " It's a Ktm 250 exc 2001-2 needs chain and sprocket kit rear tyre rear wheel bearings front brake hose and folk seal properly could do with some pads as well other than that runs sweet man "
but he wants for it £500 . :) do you recon its worth it.??:scooter::scooter:

I've Read that 2001-2002 ktm 250's were a successful model - very powerfull and nippy but the only thing that was quite rubish was the stiff suspension :/ but i think stiff suspension is my type :) give me ur opinion guys !!
Thanks. :) Please Answer Quick As I Need to know if its worth it ;)

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Great bikes. Thats probably a shitter. 500 is cheap though. If its an EXC it should have a log book. If not then walk away it was probably nicked at some point.

I bet it;s on gumtree?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Mean for 500 you can't go wrong but the only scared part i'm afraid of is , i can write a receipt , the guy will sign it etc.
but if police finds it , and i got a proof of purchase , can they still take it off me ?? :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Not all exc's get road reg.. And there isn't a lot of differents between the Sx and exc.. At that age most it's parts will have been changed anyway so could be a mix of both? For £500 these things arnt worth worring about depending on what you plan on doing with it..you could break it for a profit when you've had your fun with it but if your worried its stolen do not buy and report the seller not that the police give a shit. I think if you call a ktm dealer and give them the frame number they can tell you what it is and if its been nicked at some point or local police?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Mate , Will try to get the frame numbers of him , tommorow , and try ringing the ktm dealer to ask him , about any info on the bike , but if he does not want to give me them / or says there is no frame numbers on the frame , then the bike is dodgy . must be :p

My ktm 125 sx , haven't got frame numbers on the frame , but there are frame numbers on the forks by the bleeders , right under the handlebars , are they hiden somewhere maybe that i can look forward to finding ??? because i found out not all bikes have their frame numbers on the actuall frame but spread around -.- everywhere. ? :)

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Not all exc's get road reg.. And there isn't a lot of differents between the Sx and exc.. At that age most it's parts will have been changed anyway so could be a mix of both? For £500 these things arnt worth worring about depending on what you plan on doing with it..you could break it for a profit when you've had your fun with it but if your worried its stolen do not buy and report the seller not that the police give a shit. I think if you call a ktm dealer and give them the frame number they can tell you what it is and if its been nicked at some point or local police?
Always worth checking frame/engine numbers with the dealer. First of all it confirms just what you are buying and that it still has the original motor. Might also give some clues on past history (servicing, warranty claims etc). It should also flag up if it has been reported stolen. But that only works if the bike has been reported to KTM as having been stolen - not all stolen vehicles end up on KTM's database so it is not a guarantee that it is 'clean'.

Of course if the frame number is missing or is not recognised by KTM walk away quickly ..................

My understanding is that, if it is stolen (irrespective of how many owners have had it since it was pinched and what paperwork there is, how long ago it was stolen, what was said between buyers/sellers and how it was paid for), it remains the property of the person it was stolen from and can be returned to them. Very unlikely you would see any money back.................

Always fall back on the saying 'if it seems too good to be true, it probably is ............'

·
Registered
266 Posts
£500 is a really good price. People have already correctly said where you need to be careful about stolen property so I won't cover that again. The Exc 250 2001-2002 were really good bikes, the sx side were monsters (sxf stands for four stroke by the way). People often strip lights/speedos off them when they stop working so not having isn't a great indicator of if its a sx or exc.

Chain/sprocket £90, rear tyre £50, front brake line £30, rear bearings £30, fork seals £40, pads £20... So £760 for a working 250 (if you do all the work yourself), which is still an extremely good price, but just check that this is all that needs doing (I would do a top end rebuild on purchase for good measure). Check PDS, Swing arm, headstem bearings, sprockets, chains, condition of frame, pipe. How easy it starts, what condition the brakes are in, how careful the previous owner was with maintenance. Ask to see the airbox which will give you and indication of how careful the owner was about cleaning. Ask to see where it was stored, this will give you a good idea if it leaks(You'll see oil stains). Check coolant level. Obviously for £500 you can afford to repair some of these, but if you find yourself doing them all, as well as a full bottom end rebuild it could quickly turn into a money pit that you won't get back.

Black plastics is just cosmetic, as is the gold clutch case put on by a previous owner, these were not part of any limited edition out of the KTM factory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
£500 is a really good price. People have already correctly said where you need to be careful about stolen property so I won't cover that again. The Exc 250 2001-2002 were really good bikes, the sx side were monsters (sxf stands for four stroke by the way). People often strip lights/speedos off them when they stop working so not having isn't a great indicator of if its a sx or exc.

Chain/sprocket £90, rear tyre £50, front brake line £30, rear bearings £30, fork seals £40, pads £20... So £760 for a working 250 (if you do all the work yourself), which is still an extremely good price, but just check that this is all that needs doing (I would do a top end rebuild on purchase for good measure). Check PDS, Swing arm, headstem bearings, sprockets, chains, condition of frame, pipe. How easy it starts, what condition the brakes are in, how careful the previous owner was with maintenance. Ask to see the airbox which will give you and indication of how careful the owner was about cleaning. Ask to see where it was stored, this will give you a good idea if it leaks(You'll see oil stains). Check coolant level. Obviously for £500 you can afford to repair some of these, but if you find yourself doing them all, as well as a full bottom end rebuild it could quickly turn into a money pit that you won't get back.

Black plastics is just cosmetic, as is the gold clutch case put on by a previous owner, these were not part of any limited edition out of the KTM factory.
Cheers !! Good info , ill make sure to check that but I doubt I'll take it , I asked the guy for the frame numbers and he don't want to give it to me . Sounds dodgy :/

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
+ he was so offended when I asked for them xd dunno why :) well what you think guys ?
It's dodgy and he knows it ......................is it worth passing the details on to the local Police ?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
walk away, we have cliché's engrained in our language "beware of people bearing gifts", only yesterday my friend got a wr 250 back from the police 4 years later, we have frame and engine no's for a reason I myself won an 08 exc 450 on ebay for 2k 3 years ago 20 miles from me, there's no way I was paying through paypal for him to deliver it or pick it up, turn out to be as I suspected a scammer

Save your money m8

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
walk away, we have cliché's engrained in our language "beware of people bearing gifts", only yesterday my friend got a wr 250 back from the police 4 years later, we have frame and engine no's for a reason I myself won an 08 exc 450 on ebay for 2k 3 years ago 20 miles from me, there's no way I was paying through paypal for him to deliver it or pick it up, turn out to be as I suspected a scammer

Save your money m8
What you recon guys ? Worth letting police know ?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
why not?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well , I got the guys name , Ill get the post code , ana , and what should i say to the police ? To go and check it out ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts