KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Finally I saved a bit of money to get myself proper helmet, but I'm still not quite sure what to choose. TBH I don't know much about helmets, but often heard that it is worth investing more money in good helmet.
My budget is approx £250-£300, which I think is a lot of money for biking gear so I'd like to spend it wisely. Please help me make the right choice.
thanks in advance
Victor

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
The best advice for choosing a decent helmet is to try as many on as possible. Hein Gericke and alike are great for going to and trying on lots of different brands. Don't just stick it on your head for 20 seconds, keep it on for 10 mins (I now, you'll look like a right prat but pretty much any helmet in the correct size will be comfy for 10 seconds) after wearing a helmet for a decent amount of time you'll start to appreciate which brands make a helmet that suits you head shape (Arai and AGV helmets fit me great but Airoh and Shoei are like trying to shove a round peg through the square hole!)

What sort of helmet are you after to? Hybrid road and MX like the Arai Tour X? Pure offroad like an Airoh Stelt, Arai VX3 :smokin: or Shoei VFX :cool:? Or a Road helmet?

·
Registered
815 Posts
As above try on loads, you may have your heart set on Arai but your head may be a Shoei. HJC are producing good lids, they are quite cheap but are america top selling helmet. As for cost just because its the most expensive you may just be paying for the paint job, another way is to try on loads find the size you want and then look online, however make sure if you do buy one from online it s coming from a uk company and is uk stock as different parts of the world have different shapes so a small in the uk is not going to be the same as a small from japan. But I do stress make sure its a REPUTABLE seller.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I may get shot down to flames by others here, but don't rule out ebay, I've just bought a brand new UK Arai RX7-GP for well under £300 and helmets don't come much better than that imho (as long as you have an arai shaped head)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good advise so far. cheers guys.
Crispy, ideally it would have to be a good allrounder. a helmet that I can put on when going for a quick blast, long-ish trip or do some greenlaning. perhaps £300 is enough to buy two resonably good helmets(?) one for touring with good weather protection and sound insulation, and another one for greenlaning... BTW anyone knows of a good shop with biking gear in Cambridgeshire which is worth recommending and has a big range of helmets to try on?
thanks. Vic

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Where are you? The KTM Centre in Hemel they got excellent deals on the Tour X. £300 I was there last Friday and were still there.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
good advise so far. cheers guys.
Crispy, ideally it would have to be a good allrounder. a helmet that I can put on when going for a quick blast, long-ish trip or do some greenlaning. perhaps £300 is enough to buy two resonably good helmets(?) one for touring with good weather protection and sound insulation, and another one for greenlaning... BTW anyone knows of a good shop with biking gear in Cambridgeshire which is worth recommending and has a big range of helmets to try on?
thanks. Vic
For your budget, I'd get an Arai Tour X 3, standard peak and visor for everyday riding, peak and goggles if you're gonna do the muddy stuff and then just the visor if you're gonna do a long motorway journey. I've been wearing mine for 18 months and it's a great helmet IMHO.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
All above is good sound advice , the main thing is it fits and it's comfortable after that buy the best you can afford , remember it's your head that's in . If you've only got a 3quid head got to halfords and buy a plastic bucket .

Another check to do .... Once you've pulled on the lid done up the strap , opened the visor right up grab the chin bar of the helmet and try moving it up and down , you should feel your scalp/hair move backwards and forwards a little but still be comfortable , if you know what I'm trying to say . Plus with a lid on and fastened put your two hands over the top of the lid till your finger tips tuck in under the back rim of the lid at the back of your neck and try to pull the helmet off . You will get some movement doing this but if the lid comes off don't buy that one , move onto another make and start again .

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The most important thing is the fit. There's no point having an expensive helmet that doesn't fit right because it will either give you a headache, or not protect you properly in a crash.

Secondly, the wossname of having an Arai or Shoei shaped head is nonsense: Arai have more than one shape, so if one doesn't fit then try another.

Within Cambs, Peterborough's probably your best bet for variety (HG, Taz, Webbs & Gear 4), but there is Allins in Cambridge, a new shop in Papworth (in the industrial estate near Caxton Gibbet), and a bit further afield Bike Stop in Stevenage. Yellow Pages is your friend.

I wouldn't buy a helmet online or through the post because I don't trust the parcel company not to have dropped it, sat on it, thrown it around the depot before it arrives (only to be left in the rain on your doorstep).

Are you coming to tomorrow night's TRF meeting, Vic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just bought a new helmet - HJC AC-X1 (KTM Racing Pro). I bought it via ebay with the assurance from the seller that it had an ACU gold sticker as I need it for the Cambrian Rally. The helmet is ECE R 22-05 approved but has no ACU gold sticker. Can anybody please advise me on whether this helmet has been submitted to the ACU for approval or how I would find out and then legitimately get hold of a sticker? Cheers.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I've just bought a new helmet - HJC AC-X1 (KTM Racing Pro). I bought it via ebay with the assurance from the seller that it had an ACU gold sticker as I need it for the Cambrian Rally. The helmet is ECE R 22-05 approved but has no ACU gold sticker. Can anybody please advise me on whether this helmet has been submitted to the ACU for approval or how I would find out and then legitimately get hold of a sticker? Cheers.
Get in touch with the ACU and ask them. They charge £1 per sticker, which is why some manufacturers don't bother with them as most people don't compete and that's all the sticker's there for.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HI!
I'm in Cambridge. Allins has very little helmets on display. Didn't know there was a new place in Papworth. Hemel Hempstead seems like a long way, but it's tempting since one of you guys says they've got tour x for £300 for sale. I'll propably end up checking all those places in Peterborough, since it's the nearest and propably Papworth and possibly Stevenage.
Gordo! yes matey, I'm coming to the meeting tomorrow and looking forward to the Sunday's ride. R U coming (Both: to the meeting and ride on Sun)?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I'll be at the meeting, but probably not the ride.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
My favourite helmet - and its in your budget -

Ive owned an Arai TX (stolen)
I own a Shoei Hornet
And my F4 is by far and away the most versatile of all 3.
Its more dirt-oriented - no visor, but its very comfortable on the motorway (better than TX IMO), good in cold and wet - and no contest in hot/hard riding.

Depends what you want really - and as above, buy the one that fits properly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've used an Arai Tour X for 30k miles now and would recommend it. Agree with all the advice above. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer and makes sure its stamped british standard. Insurers have issues otherwise.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Done some research and Gordo is right about not having to have an Arai head etc, as if you go to a 5 Star arai fitting shop they can change most of the insides of a helmet to suit your head.

Arai UK - Dealers
the only thing they can really change to make a different to the fit is the cheek pads
My last arai was about 7-8 years ago before the one i have now, tried loads of brands in between and none felt as good

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
When we say Arai head,i am sure most refer to the fact that the Arai can be made to fit if need be whereas the other helmets either fit or they dont.
I am an Arai fan myself although i also own a Shoei.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here's my tenpenneth.

Fancy paint jobs look nice, but cost money. Solid colour's are cheaper, and also make you more visable - especially, white or flourescent (yuk) colours. But what about a nice Orange lid ...KTM after all ;)

Remember that red is green if you're colour blind, so can blend in quite nicely with trees.

Also go for DD rings rather than a catch - you will soon get used to fastening it. I have a not too old Shark helmet and the catch has got a bit temperamental (£150 down the swanee).

Flip-ups are useful, but normally heavier and not as protective (one or two claimed exceptions)..and they generally tend to be noiser too.

There are independant helemt tests available at SHARP which might be worth a peruse.

SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME results can be surprising - cheap lids coming out as good or if not better than expensive ones.

With price you normally get longevity (ie the catch doesn't give up after 12 months) and weight loss (lighter) and additional features (removable liners, better ventilation, quieter design etc), not always more safety.

ET

1 - 20 of 28 Posts