KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Kind of a stuck moment. I have purchased a 2004 ktm 625 smc. (Cat B due to damage to the frame). Was looking at frames, but couldn’t find anything. So, i have bought a complete bike 1998 640 lc4.

Got the bike delivered yesterday, and looking at it i have realised there is difference to the frame. My bike has oil in the frame, and the one i want to re build it too hasn’t!

is there anyone else done similar stuff, anyone know if i can get this working??? Or i just waisted loads of money on something i cant even get done?! Lol

ps.: the cat B bike is in really good condition. The other is a scrap bike, but got some parts i can salvage...

·
Registered
342 Posts
That'll be a 620 then. Depending on which year model it is there were a number of 620s which did not run oil in frame, they were all kick only but lecky boot motors will fit as long as its not too old, Bearing in mind 98 is when it was registered and may not be its model year. Losing the oil in frame means a reduction of oil capacity of 0.7ltr and of course the spin on filter. You have two choices. you can either use a remote filter in a separate housing, same as the 03 660 for example or you can just rely on the single filter in the engine and replace the hose that went from the engine filter outlet to the top left hand side of the frame with a new hose that will go straight to the oil intake point on the front left of the engine. If you run a separate filter housing you may be able to locate this using a bracket which was used on the 03 625sxc. this mounts it on the top of the rear of the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That'll be a 620 then. Depending on which year model it is there were a number of 620s which did not run oil in frame, they were all kick only but lecky boot motors will fit as long as its not too old, Bearing in mind 98 is when it was registered and may not be its model year. Losing the oil in frame means a reduction of oil capacity of 0.7ltr and of course the spin on filter. You have two choices. you can either use a remote filter in a separate housing, same as the 03 660 for example or you can just rely on the single filter in the engine and replace the hose that went from the engine filter outlet to the top left hand side of the frame with a new hose that will go straight to the oil intake point on the front left of the engine. If you run a separate filter housing you may be able to locate this using a bracket which was used on the 03 625sxc. this mounts it on the top of the rear of the engine.
Many thanks for your comment. With this information, and a little more re search i think its possible to swap the bits around.

Cant find any image of the 03 660 housing. But this is sounds interesting...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys, just to let you know i sorted the oil issue. Was a simple fix, bought the right frame... 😂😂😂

now, the re build begins...

Ps.: i have loads of parts for sale, coz had to buy 2 bikes. + the donor bike... 🙈

thanks for a help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.