KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm Orlando, first post on the forum,

I'm 16 and live in Hertfordshire, near St.Albans I want a bike primirally for messing about in fields/areas around where I live, but I am also intrested in finding a local track and starting to attend regular sessions there.

I am 5ft10 and weigh 10.5 stone.

I am also not sure what to get, a dirt bike or a pit bike. I am mostly going to be using it as I said in fields having fun.

The two bikes I have been looking at are:

This pit bike

and

This dirt bike.

If you don't mind, commenting on both of them, are they good deals? Are they good bikes? Will they work for someone of my weight and size? What is the differences between them? (speed, handling, experience etc), Do they require extensive maintenance or repairs (I have little to no motorbike mechanic ability).

And also does anyone know of any riding tracks or centers in or around Herts, Beds or Bucks?

Thanks,
Orlando.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I suspect both of the above are unbranded chinese imports?

If so getting spares may prove problematical

I'd suggest looking at Honda/Yamaha/Kwak/Suzi's etc
and of course KTM as your first ever bike,
at least you'll be able to source parts easy, even find workshop manuals,
and get work done by an experienced dealer.

:smokin:

·
Registered
929 Posts
dont buy any of that shit !!!!!save up a bit more and get a ktm,yz,cr,kx,rm 125 , if your on about taking it on the track you ll regret it and be laughed off the track imo :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey,

I'm Orlando, first post on the forum,

I'm 16 and live in Hertfordshire, near St.Albans I want a bike primirally for messing about in fields/areas around where I live, but I am also intrested in finding a local track and starting to attend regular sessions there.
Unless they happen to be your fields :D your likely to get into trouble, even if the tracks are classified as roads they still are covered by the normal legislations like any other road so you'll need tax insurance and the appropriate power bike for your age etc. if your out and about + you'll need to get there some how. Not that I ever did anything like that when I was younger ;) but the laws a lot tighter now a days so do your research or don't moan if you get nicked / bike crushed :D

If I were doing it now at your age I'd try and get involved in the track scene (wish I had back in the day) but then you need the support to do that as well so depending on your circumstances that might not be easy but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

·
Registered
450 Posts
be careful, the herts police dont like people tear arsing around places that they shouldnt

;-)

think there are some clubs round that way that you may be able to get more out of...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,

Thanks for all the replies already and you've convinced me not to buy those brandless imports.

I'm looking at a Yamaha YZ85, as aparently they are good, reliable, powerful bikes, is this a good choice especially for the type of riding i'll be doing (fields) and my body height/weight?

Or basically, I have perhaps a very highest maximum of £700 or so, is there any other bike that you would reccomend? And i'm fine with buying 2nd hand as you simply save so much.

Cheers!

·
Registered
929 Posts
get a 125 ,you ll be too big for a 85 and will want to get a bigger bike straight away ,get it to a track and practice ,i know some one with a yz 125 who ll take 900 02/03 ,or look on ebay BUTdont buy any of that chinese shit!!!!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
have to agree, the bikes you are looking at will be a pain in the arse....

Could have a look at a CRF150, they are a proper mx bike and a big wheel one would be ok, alternatiely a mainstream 125 can come pretty cheap but buy carefully and buy good tools!!!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
there is a place in harlow not long prob 30 to 40 mins for you cos i live about 20 mins from u, also dont get an 85 when u get to a track you will strugle because it will be so undersize, and dont get a 150 waste of money imo. 125 wil do the job just take care with wot you buy check it properly make and dont buy somthing because it looks nice go by how it sounds etc, if i where you i would take a mechannic with you to view a bike and get other peoples opinions too.
first of all go to a track see what its all about make sure its somthing you wana do.
Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts