KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in garage checking suspension settings (which were all out & by a lot - do garages actually perform pdi's?) in preparation for ride later (2nd one as only 150km on clock)
and on starting up and checking lights found brake lights do not work.

Checked fuse (shared with horn - 10A and that works) all indicators work and high/low beams work fine plus no error codes.
Had look under seat did not see anything obvious disconnected except for one 2 wire cable with connector which i assume is to power alarm? There was nothing to connect it to?
Checked service manual and i can't find how to dismantle rear light to have a look but its LEDs anyway so was wondering if its a sealed unit?.

Anybody have any useful advice? Nearest dealer is over 2 hours away.

Any suggestions much appreciated as i was really looking forward to going for ride!!!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
is it not working on both front and rear brakes?if it is just on one then it will be a problem at the sensor on that brake. if its both, it will be a loose connection on the loom plug, usually found in the hole which goes out the back of the tail unit

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Neither of the 2 brakes light up but i tried to have a look at the rear light connectors but its a very tight fit and can't see much.

How easy is it to dismantle rear unit? Is there a guide to removing the rear seat unit?

·
Registered
324 Posts
How easy is it to dismantle rear unit? Is there a guide to removing the rear seat unit?
remove the pillion seat plugs and unscrew the ports where the bungy thingy's go into (use a coin), tail will then split open 4 ya;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mate, you've saved me a lot of sweat and tears!

Went to garage and had a go and SUCCESS!

Pulled everything apart and rear light unit is sealed with just one connector to it. Did find however 4 (!) connector blocks (1 very large multi with rubber boot, 1 black with rubber boot & metal clip, i black simple and 1 white simple connectors) that are just loose inside seat unit. (at a loss what they are as wiring diagram was beyond me!) - they can't all be for accessories surely?

Anyway tried fitting and removing light connector a couple of times and giving the light unit a gentle tap (for good luck) and now brake lights work!

My only guess is that the cable was tie wrapped to frame with zero play and when i hit big bump (that bent num plate) it may have pulled the connector apart enough that all pins were not contacting cleanly.

Will keep an eye on rear light unit in case it goes again.

Anybody have any rear light issues with these LEDS?
ie If one LED goes do they all fail?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had the same with mine, picked it up from fowlers brand new, got home and found out the back light didn't work, not spotted on the PDI

(WTF DO THEY CHECK IF THEY DON'T EVEN CHECK THE LIGHTS) caps lock off again and calm down.....

It was a coupe of pins on the connector block not fully seated all the way in, they needed pushing further into the connector block until they clicked home , the plug and connectoir were plugged together but still no connection being made, so if you've just jiggled it a bit, maybe worth checking

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Thanks mate, you've saved me a lot of sweat and tears!

Went to garage and had a go and SUCCESS!

Pulled everything apart and rear light unit is sealed with just one connector to it. Did find however 4 (!) connector blocks (1 very large multi with rubber boot, 1 black with rubber boot & metal clip, i black simple and 1 white simple connectors) that are just loose inside seat unit. (at a loss what they are as wiring diagram was beyond me!) - they can't all be for accessories surely?

Anyway tried fitting and removing light connector a couple of times and giving the light unit a gentle tap (for good luck) and now brake lights work!

My only guess is that the cable was tie wrapped to frame with zero play and when i hit big bump (that bent num plate) it may have pulled the connector apart enough that all pins were not contacting cleanly.

Will keep an eye on rear light unit in case it goes again.

Anybody have any rear light issues with these LEDS?
ie If one LED goes do they all fail?
look at the first post of this thread..........the top picture showing the white plug is for the seat sensor wire for the alarm, the second lower picture showing the large connector is the main harness for the alarm and the small black plug in lower pic is for(i think) the alarm. mine has a weird plastic mishaped thing plugged in the end of it

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/rc8-superbike/56274-pesky-connectors-rebuild-update.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts