KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Could I get some pointers and advice on doing the fork seals on my SXF 250 - 2007. It has the standard WP 48mm forks on it.

So far, I have:

Removed top center cap (I cut an old socket to undo it), Which I must add, was full of pressure. Thinking it was nitrogen charged, as there is a small bladder type thing.

Removed the large outer nut, which released the black outer fork tube, and allowed it to slide freely up and down.

Removed dust seal.

But cannot figure what to remove next, in order to allow me to slide the black outer tube off, and give access to the fork seals.

Once I have done the seals and put it back together, How do I recharge the nitrogen?

Massive thanks to anyone that can help..........:)

·
Premium Member
31,450 Posts
Hmmmn.. you have caused yourself some extra grief there.

On the closed cartridge fork you have to work from the bottom, not the top.

Bleed the air out of forks with bleed screw like you do after every ride.
Loosen the top yoke.
Loosen the top cap big outer nut by 1/8th turn.
Remove fork from bike.
Fully undo top cap and pour oil into a container, pump it a bit to get rid of as much oil as you can.
Turn fork upside down and remove rubber plug from bottom
Unscrew 19mm headed base valve with an impact gun.
Push out the cartridge from the top and put a 17mm spanner on the bottom of the cartridge.
With a 19m socket unscrew the base valve.
Remove the cartridge from the fork tubes.
Remove the spring and spacer from the tubes.

Now you just have the two empty tubes.

Prise off the wiper and remove the circlip.
Heat up the area where the seal is with a hot air gun, then push in and sharply pull out the inner tube out of the outer tube.
The inner tube should come out complete with seals and bush.

Remove the bush and seal.

Before you fit the new seal, wrap the step on the leg with tape to protect the new seal as you put it on. Smear the seal with grease.

each leg requires 380ml or so (360 to 425) of oil, added through the top cap after everything else is tightened.

But because you emptied off the bladder you need to get it re-pressurised by a KTM or WP dealer.... bugger, really :(

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Kev, Think I will be able to do the seals now, and the other fork, I will not disturb the nitrogen.....

Will have to find the nearest KTM dealer to me, to recharge what I've already lost though. I think it will be near Plymouth, as I live near Lands End, about 1 hour drive one way.......:frown:

Cheers to Chris as well, shame we're not closer.

·
Premium Member
31,450 Posts
Thanks for that Kev, Think I will be able to do the seals now, and the other fork, I will not disturb the nitrogen.....

Will have to find the nearest KTM dealer to me, to recharge what I've already lost though. I think it will be near Plymouth, as I live near Lands End, about 1 hour drive one way.......:frown:

Cheers to Chris as well, shame we're not closer.

Why not put the cartridge in a tube and post it to Chris for a regas?

You could wrap it in bubblewrap and put it in a length of plastic waste pipe.

Not all KTM dealers have the charging kit BTW ;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok,

So I done the fork seals now. Completed the one that I lost all the nitrogen on, and Its ready for a recharge.

Done the other one in about 30 mins, easy when you know how......huh? Drove the seal in with a 47/48 mm seal driver, and poured 380 ml of fork oil down inside the black outer tube just before screwing it into the top thread.

Thanks again for your help.

Frame came back from the powder coaters today, so let the rebuild commence............:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts