KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

It's a long long time since I've been on ... mainly because I've not been using the bike so much; worlk travel, baby.

Anyway, really hoping for some help. I've been having a long running problem where my clocks don't always respond to buttons, for example to go through modes or reset the clock. I've previously sorted this by installing a new battery but the current battery is good (Yuasa)) and voltages seem fine. I had my mechanic check that it's getting decent volts while running and seems OK. But I can't get the buttons to respond at all right now.

If I remove the dash fuse and reinsert I get the message Soft 3.3 Dat 10.2.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Iain

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some further poking around I think I may have this solved .... my Tripmaster switch! When I disconnect the switch the display buttons work perfectly. Though the switch cables all look sound there must be some sort of short in there somewhere. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any sensibly priced replacements out there (discontinued part). Still, better to have the buttons working again. I'll just have to get used to not having the option to change mode with hands on the bars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Incidentally, this might be of some interest: I found out that it's easy to DIY a mode button for the bars. All you need is a momentary switch and couple up to the two relevant wires on the original connector behind the headlight. You could rig 3 switches for the trip function but I don't need that.

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
I wired the headlamp flash button to the mode switch to cycle through the time, trip, miles etc

Reactions: Vindaloo

·
Registered
502 Posts
After some further poking around I think I may have this solved .... my Tripmaster switch! When I disconnect the switch the display buttons work perfectly. Though the switch cables all look sound there must be some sort of short in there somewhere. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any sensibly priced replacements out there (discontinued part). Still, better to have the buttons working again. I'll just have to get used to not having the option to change mode with hands on the bars.
Here is a homemade tripmaster switch, Now I am ok with electrics but shit with video, however there is a small parts list in the description, I think you have to switch to viewing on youtube to actualy view the description/comments below the video with the information in.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here is the parts bit etc. You need momentary switches not latching.

switches = https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B... bracket = https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle... I have another use for the latching switches on the bracket, and bought it because I really could not be arsed making a bracket.
The switches from amazon I got because they are screw terminals and NOT solder on terminals makes the whole process easier and easy to repair if needed. The wiring at the back of the switches will be an ongoing project I can and will tidy it up but for the moment I needed to wire it and make sure it works.
I had some 4 pin connectors of the ktm type so it was a case of wire them into the plug and away you go however the plug is available here https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.ph... it is a Sumitomo, HM Sealed Series OEM P/N: 6187-4441, I bought a bunch of the 4 and 6 pin it makes wiring so much easier to have the right plug, I even bought a cheap set of crimping tools from amazon with interchange heads to cover almost all the main crimp connectors, but you could do it with a pair of pliers if your careful I could not find accurate info anywhere as to what what wires did what on the connector on the bike and they WERE different colours to what I could find on the internet so: this is for a ktm 640 adventure 2003
violet wire = common wire
blue/red = mode
white = up or down cant remember
white/brown = up or down
cant remember its easy enough to swap the last two around

the violet wire goes to one side of each switch, each of the switches needs to be connected to the same violet wire, blu/red goes to the first switch to change the mode and then the last two white and white brown are the wires that go to the up and down switches to change the mileage on the trips. It was really simple and only took an hour or so start to finish. I could have made it smaller with smaller switches and solder wiring, but I made it as a sort of proof of concept, and found that the big buttons are easy to hit with gloves on, it has stayed very water resistant, as I glued the "boots" on the back of the switches with hot glue, and all around its easier to use than the original on my 990.

hope that may be of help

SHOW LESS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts