KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off-roading but not on the KTM.... one square arse and 1400km round trip... but some great memories of stunning views and being in the arsehole of nowhere... who knew nothing could be so interesting. Some pics of the weekend’s trip to the Omani side of the Rub Al Khali via the Umm Al Samim...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Think I might add some more to this... Hermione’s had a makeover since.

2” TJM Gold Series lift kit, 3pc Ironman bash plate set, bumper cut, swapped the 18” rims for 16” rims and fitted Geolandar AT-S tyres, TC bypass patch loom, slider side steps, 30mm H&R spacers. Wasn’t bad offroad even in low stock trim with 60 profile HT tyres... goes like a Dakar runner now.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is... fun alternative to pounding the dunes on two wheels. Flags still on the to-do list .

Going to do Liwa crescent to crescent across the dunes end of the month. Been told not to fly any country flags, just standard warning flags, as you will get quite close to the Saudi border. I have reliable anecdotes of people on two and four wheels being shot at by KSA border forces so not a bad idea. There’s an access road the other side of the border for patrols as there’s oilfields on both sides.

Looking forward to this one, should be a good trip.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gave her a wash today... looks the bollocks with the spacers on... will get some more trip pictures up in a bit.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just needs some big arse tyres on it. Chunk it up.
Could probably run 17” with 70 profile tyres... but that 265x70x16” is an OE combo and ideal for the dunes. The BF Goodrich TA KO2’s look the bollocks... but they’re too hard on the sand and still in the side wall. Great for mixed terrain and stony stuff, unbursrtable but the Geolandar G012 is better for the sand. Enough bite, not as stiff, so better float and less chance of digging in and getting you stuck, or shredding the trail for the car behind. They’re also about half the price...

·
Registered
948 Posts
Could probably run 17” with 70 profile tyres... but that 265x70x16” is an OE combo and ideal for the dunes. The BF Goodrich TA KO2’s look the bollocks... but they’re too hard on the sand and still in the side wall. Great for mixed terrain and stony stuff, unbursrtable but the Geolandar G012 is better for the sand. Enough bite, not as stiff, so better float and less chance of digging in and getting you stuck, or shredding the trail for the car behind. They’re also about half the price...

I’ve heard this said before with regards sand driving (of which I have next to no experience), but all the desert race trucks seem to run much more aggressive looking tyres.
Embrace the roost surely - fuck anyone behind you, they need to go faster or accept that they are losers who deserve to have sand kicked in their faces.
It’s more important that you look cool than worrying about other people, and your wheel/tyre combo looks a bit gay. Fill those arches with the chunkiest knobbliest rubber that will go in with massive white lettering on the sidewalls and rule that desert!!!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In desert sand agressive tyres just dig holes quicker, nothing so gay as being stuck up to the axles and asking another guy for a tug;)
To further Lee’s point for info....

Geolandar AT-S G012

BF Goodrich TA KO2

Maxxis (or similar) sand tyre

The sand tyres look like a bald commercial tyre and work like a space hopper... float is your friend. Apparently not so good for side sloping, they’re more rounded than a normal tyre, so assume there’s a higher risk of rollover. Usually fitted to Y61 Nissan Patrols driven everywhere on the limiter in first gear. Hopeless on anything other than a dry road or dune but effective for what they do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts