KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I could do with a bit of help form all of you in the know, i have a 05 LC4 i had done oil change at the end of last year and have been out on the bike several times since. I all ways cast my eye at the oil level just to check, we were out today on the Martin Jennings memorial run down here in Cornwall and i had a bit of a strange thing happen.

Running along at around 70 to 80 all of a sudden loads of smoke out the exhaust pulled over and stopped the engine straight away there was oil running out of the bottom of the air box!!!! The bike started straight away with a cloud of smoke that then cleared???? Oil still dripping out i checked the sight glass and the oil was now black!! And there was a lot more there than when we left home!!??

I had no choice other than to try and ride the bike home so off we went it has no loss of power, no loss of compression, and seem to run ok!!
What the hell happened have i killed it???

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Did you miss an upshift?

ie did you try to change up a gear, miss the gear and revs the nuts off it?

The engine breather pipe is sometimes routed into the airbox, and over rev it will spit oil out, from there oil 'can' get onto the exhaust causing the huge plume of smoke you describe!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, no not changing gear when it happened, i see what you are saying but we now have more oil in the engine than when we left home and it black???

Cheers anyway

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Did you overfill with oil ? If you did it will get pushed up the breather and into the airbox/carb and smoke like a old diesel engine,,If this is the case your LC4 will live on..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi no it was right in the sight glass, its now as black as your hat!!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'd be dropping the oil, and inspecting the coolant as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, the water is ok still the same level and no oil in it???? yep i thought it would be a good idea to change the oil again. what a nightmare!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yeah mate, an unhappy machine takes the fun right out of it. I'm not directly familiar with the 05 engine, but I know my 01 has a cold, and hot mark on the dipstick. And the level is higher when hot. Does the 05 even have a dipstick on the oil filler cap?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
check the oil hot and level not cold and on stand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, ok i will have a look at the weekendthank for your help.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Did you bleed the oil system when you changed it?

My float bowl failed on my ccm a few years ago and dumped the contence of my petrol tank into my engine. That increased my oil level....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Did you overfill with oil ? If you did it will get pushed up the breather and into the airbox/carb and smoke like a old diesel engine,,If this is the case your LC4 will live on..
this is propably what happened, I wouldnt worry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check up the second pump which pumps out oil from engine
. The mote has probably got and a star (she plastic) a drive of the pump has turned.
Now one pump works for you, what swings oil in engine
only.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts