KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm in the process of going orange after a few years of XR ownership. I love the XR but a ride on a mate's 450EXC had me convinced, and dispelled fears of savage power or being a handful. And it handles on rails!

So I'm picking this up this weekend
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Looks nice, full MOT and starts on the button. Hopefully you more knowlegeable guys wil agree!

So, I wonder if there's anything people recommend I should do as soon as I get it? anything that needs checking etc before I get on the road?

I've ordered some rad guards and will probably spend a few hours in the garage taking things on and off when I get it home!

thanks guys
Jon

PS anyone want to buy an XR? :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
to be on the safe side do the usual drop the oil , new filters, probably a good idea to flush rads and water system out and renew antifreeze/coolant , winter is fast approaching! welcome and enjoy.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey just done the same myself.. and part of me is missing the XR still ,its build quality and general robustness is stunning ,but the KTM450 I now have is a different league. Just done my first oil change today and I have taken my time checking I have done it right. The thing I seem to be aware on on the KTM is the bolts seem a bit fragile and easy to snap if your heavy handed like me

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Ha ha yeah they are like butter. But a manual and a torque wrench will sort that out no probs.

My xr blew up 3 times and my mates xr cost him the earth. The only good place for an XR in this day and age is on the farm! (not bitter at all like)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ha ha yeah they are like butter. But a manual and a torque wrench will sort that out no probs.

My xr blew up 3 times and my mates xr cost him the earth. The only good place for an XR in this day and age is on the farm! (not bitter at all like)
Strange you should say that. My XR had full rebuild and always seemed to be needing money spending on it ......"Bulletproof" is the term most used.. but yup I loved it

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Never met the guy who is selling you your bike but he is only a few miles from me... he is a "dealer" ("" used intentionally!) but seems to buy and sell the nicer bikes, think you will get a good one off him/her!

you will always sell an xr! try it on here first and give it a blast on ebay, a nice bike always gets a good price! Welcome to KTM's anyhow!!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info guys.

Yeah I will miss the XR, I have nothing bad to say about them. But times move on, and as I'm starting to want more beans from the bike it's time for a change.

here's another question: has anyone had trouble breaking radiators while green laning? or getting it started again after a drop in the river? although I will be trying to avoid that!

:scooter:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have an 04 xr400 that I would like to sell. Like all above its a great bike and I love it but I have a 200exc that I find a bit easier to use. Just getting old I think.
and just not getting the use out of either to be honest.

Its a sound bike virtually standard apart from high bend renthals. Only ever used for lanes from new, bit scratched but sound bike. Sensible offers concidered.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
think you would need to be a bit cack handed to break a rad, maybe fit rad guards if you are concerned. there is a gearbox breather that typically pokes out the underneath of the bike, if you try to start with it submerged you can suck water into the engine.... this wasn't a pretty way to end an enduro I can confirm!! didnt cost as much as I expected to get right though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
thanks for the info guys.

Yeah I will miss the XR, I have nothing bad to say about them. But times move on, and as I'm starting to want more beans from the bike it's time for a change.

here's another question: has anyone had trouble breaking radiators while green laning? or getting it started again after a drop in the river? although I will be trying to avoid that!

:scooter:
came off mine the last time there was heavy snow , when i picked my bike up the rad was only held in place by the bottom hose so it had taken quite a hit , fixed it back onto brackets put top hose back on melted a bit of snow in with water my mate had in his camelpack topped rad up and away , i do have rad guards fitted tho, as for the water we did 4 river crossings last w,end the last 1 caught us out a little submerged up2 the bottom of tank and stalled when my mate came off infront of me , straight on the button and she fired up , pulled my mates out on2 the bank he pulled decompressor in turned engine ova 4 about 5 sec then released and turned it ova and she fired in2 life , thats my experience of what u asked hope it helps. regards walesy1

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
straight on the button and she fired up , pulled my mates out on2 the bank he pulled decompressor in turned engine ova 4 about 5 sec then released and turned it ova and she fired in2 life , thats my experience of what u asked hope it helps. regards walesy1
thanks mate that increases my confidence of not getting stuck in the middle of a welsh nowhere!

I'm still having dreams about the electric start.... roll on Saturday when I pick it up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts