KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Went laning on my 2009 200xc today locally. Quite a lot of road work. The 200 XC is rubbish on road to be fair and I was reaching higher revs for longer than I would on an enduro course or mx track.

It was fine on the way to my friends, travelling around 50-55mph for 20 mins or so.

After a few of the lanes, travelling at 45 ish the bike began to bog down and hesitate. Easing off the throttle corrected it, but any slight opening of the throttle made it much worse. I pulled in to stop and the bike idled ok, I left it a mo and carried on.

Further up the road, same again only this time it died.

I lay the bike down and fuel came out the overflow. So it had fuel. I taken the plug out and it was quite dry but the right colour.

Put the plug back in, it fired up and off I went, staying at 40mph and under on the road.

It was great on the lanes as it always is. Awesome bike.

Then, popped out of one the woods on one lane, over a field with a nice incline on. Absolutley nailed it over there and, as I should of known it bogged and died. Its as if its run out of fuel.

I was very careful from then on. It did happen once more when I was on my way home on my own. Nice straight down hill and I went quicker than I knew I could get away with. It was very near my house, I didnt get it started again so just pushed it home.

Its now sat in the garage and I havent done or checked anything since I got back.

Worth noting I cleaned the carb out only yesterday in anticipation of the run today. Not a full on clean, just bowl off and a blast with carb cleaner. It was fine before and never done this since Ive owned it. I also fitted a new plug yesterday.

Where shall I start?

As a side note, the top end has almost 50 hours on since I last put a new top end on. Its been trouble free since Ive owned it, bullet proof and super reliable. Fast and will climb anything. Raced almost every weekend for a while apart from a period earlier in the summer. Ive no idea how long the bottom end/rod has on. The bike does vibrate a fair bit, but not abnormally I wouldnt say. From what ive read the 200's do vibrate a lot. However its probably worse now than it used to be. Last thing to note, when its been sat a few days its quite hard to start. First kick when hot. It always used to start first or second kick no matter how long it sat.

I was hoping to race this coming sunday :/ its first round of the winter champs. I have got a yz125 I can race instead but the course is going to be really hilly and my 14 stone ass on a 125, tired on enduro hills dont mix great!

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
A small bit of crud in the float bowl blocking the jet. Unscrew the drain plug and have a look in it before you tip it upside down. It happens when it's bouncing around ;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
sorry but my limited knowledge what about dirt in the tank / fuel, on throttle blocking jets then when you ease off it settles back ? until now its totally blocked, good luck with it

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A small bit of crud in the float bowl blocking the jet. Unscrew the drain plug and have a look in it before you tip it upside down. It happens when it's bouncing around ;)
I hope thats all this is and this would make sense, as I had some horrible looking dirty/sandy water sat in the bowl on saturday.

Im just searching around different forums, Im seeing some people with similar-ish problems and people are suggesting stators and cdi's! Just looked at the prices for them from ktm and its fair to say I need some clean underwear

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry but my limited knowledge what about dirt in the tank / fuel, on throttle blocking jets then when you ease off it settles back ? until now its totally blocked, good luck with it
the fuel was a full tank of fresh with A747. Something must of gone wrong because as I said this bikes been a dream to own until now. And I havent changed my maintenance routine. Hopefully its just some crud in the carb. I dont want to drive all the way to Wales next week to race if its not going to finish! Id like to just do a full rebuild top and bottom this week on it but to be totally honest I cant really afford 3-400 quid at the minute. I was planning on a full rebuild after christmas. But such is life

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i would try cleaning the fuel system, see if fuel runs from tank to carb, then clean carb and see, won't cost any thing and wont take you long hopefully that'l sort it, after that if it still does it, time to look at other things, take it nothing bad has got past the air filter or blocking air,

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would try cleaning the fuel system, see if fuel runs from tank to carb, then clean carb and see, won't cost any thing and wont take you long hopefully that'l sort it, after that if it still does it, time to look at other things, take it nothing bad has got past the air filter or blocking air,
I pulled the pipe off the fuel tap out on the trail to see if fuel was coming through the tap which it was. Also by lying the bike down with the tap on I could see fuel was coming through the needle valve. I guess could be blocked jet. Worth checking the reeds? Maybe float height? Id find it hard to understand if its float height as it was ok on the run from mine to my mates. The trail today was just a little damp/dusty. I had a clean air filter on as I always do so I dont think its air related. Maybe try another brand new plug too? As one I fitted could of been faulty?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today after washing the bike, I removed the exhaust to have a look at the piston. It looks ok, no signs of melting or seizing.

I removed the carb, not touched it yet but its on my work bench.

I removed the reeds. No cracks or chips etc but there is a microscopic gap between the petals and fully shutting on one of the blades.

I removed the flywheel, had a look at the stator. It looks fine, in there.

Think its wise gutting the carb, replacing reed petals, repacking silencer and fitting a new plug?? That should hopefully sort it

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds to me like there could be a bit of crap stuck on the float needle, give the carb a good clean and blow it out and give it another try before you do anything else

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds to me like there could be a bit of crap stuck on the float needle, give the carb a good clean and blow it out and give it another try before you do anything else
I just cleaned the carb out, and it was gleaming. I was kind of hoping it would be full of crap! Ive cleaned it out again anyway. Just for anyone who has a 200, here is my jetting. Not sure how it compares.

Needle on middle clip

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a simaler problem on my 300. U say it happend after u cleaned you're carb, check you're float height u might of knocked the little tab on the floats and altered the float height. Therefore closing the fuel intake off sooner and having less fuel in the carb bowl. Bend the tab back a fraction to let a little bit more fuel in to the bowl but not to much so it's pissing out the overflows ( whey that's what sorted my top end bog out ) hope this helps;-)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a simaler problem on my 300. U say it happend after u cleaned you're carb, check you're float height u might of knocked the little tab on the floats and altered the float height. Therefore closing the fuel intake off sooner and having less fuel in the carb bowl. Bend the tab back a fraction to let a little bit more fuel in to the bowl but not to much so it's pissing out the overflows ( whey that's what sorted my top end bog out ) hope this helps;-)
thanks mate, Ill set the float height before I put the carb back on. I fear its the stator! I was hoping to find a dirty carb or cracked reeds, its nice when you have a fault if you can see it infront if you with your eyes rather than it been a mystery

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
have u tried swapping plug cap and coil pack.when my cap packed up bike ran like it was bogging and not getting fuel which made me strip carb which was spotless,put a chums plug cap on and hey presto bike bike to norm again

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have u tried swapping plug cap and coil pack.when my cap packed up bike ran like it was bogging and not getting fuel which made me strip carb which was spotless,put a chums plug cap on and hey presto bike bike to norm again
not yet. Think ive decided on this...

new v force reed block (I fancy one anyway, plus mine are clearly worn and it takes the posibility out that their causing the problem)
New oem plug and ignition coil
New plug (might aswell)
New piston rings, small end, gaskets (prob unrelated to the fauly but its due anyway)
Check/adjust float height

Once Ive done the above, if its still the same then Ill have to change the stator. If its still the same, I guess its cdi. Either way, some nice bits to add from the above weather it fixes it or not. Ill order the above tomorrow, hopefully arrive before the end of the working week. Ill take it on the local lanes before Sunday and if its good I can take it to Llandrillo sunday

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had my gopro on when all this happened. Made a small montage of each time it failed (apart from the last one on the way home. Battery ran out)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Am no bike mechanic but that doesn't sound like fuel issues too erratic. Sounds like the plugs sparking then stopping sounds electrical. I personally wouldn't plough alll you're money into doing what you're planing to do . I recon a good bike mechanic would sort this problem for a fraction of the price you're going to put into the bike. Just my opinion, hope u get bike sorted soon mate ;-)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Am no bike mechanic but that doesn't sound like fuel issues too erratic. Sounds like the plugs sparking then stopping sounds electrical. I personally wouldn't plough alll you're money into doing what you're planing to do . I recon a good bike mechanic would sort this problem for a fraction of the price you're going to put into the bike. Just my opinion, hope u get bike sorted soon mate ;-)

aint faults like this just the best!!

This could all be stupid and its just a faulty plug! It was brand new for this ride. I suppose a lack of fuel for the engine and lack of spark give similar symptoms? I just hope its not a stator. Its beginning to point that way

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Cost you £500 to find out... He is not called Rich for nothing :D

Ha Ha if your problem is not any of the above in the past I have had problems with these kind of symptoms that took a lot of finding, once the circlip had come off the needle in the carb another one was the perferated tube in the silencer had started to brake up blocking the exhaust. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts