1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mate holed his clutch cover yesterday,about 5-10mm
[2016 350]
first thing he noticed was his back brake not working after hitting a rock
covered in engine oil,only 450ml drained out and measured later,engine seems all good

how do you fix the hole?
i'll post a pic later

i was thinking some kind of epoxy fix?

he thinks you can weld it,but i dont think you can weld mag alloy?

cheers

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMG-20200517-WA0000.jpg

·
Registered
672 Posts
A mate of mine used liquid metal which seemed to work, but if it was mine I'd always worry it might be leaking, so I'd put a new clutch cover on, they're not expensive, and also a clutch cover guard to stop it happening again.

·
Registered
447 Posts
just a thought: smear some liquid gasket on and in the hole, then put an air-tight rivet (used on exhausts)?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think if you are out for the day and this happened then a quick bodge to get you going again is ok ( my mate who fixed his with liquid metal noticed the oil down his swinger when we stopped for lunch). I think for what it would cost V's peace of mind I would replace.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I’ve used metal epoxy putty once before to fix a cover with a hole in and it worked well.

However, I usually just buy a new cover and stick the old one on my garage wall as a reminder of my mistake. Since buying a polisport guard there are no additions to the wall despite my regular crashes.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have found a used 2011 cover in my workshop - it is one digit out on the part no as KTM changed the pattern on the outside of the cover for 2016 models (both years share the same clutch components and cover gasket). No use to me, It is obviously boot scuffed but we had changed to a Hinson cover hence it lying on a shelf for all these years. Welcome to it if your friend covers the postage. Bob

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Bob i'll tell him
are you on whatsapp?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pm me your phone number mate
cheers

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A mate of mine used liquid metal which seemed to work, but if it was mine I'd always worry it might be leaking, so I'd put a new clutch cover on, they're not expensive, and also a clutch cover guard to stop it happening again.
how much are those clutch cover guards?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I've got a polisport clutch cover on the FR and it gets smashed to fuck on rocks. No sign of any damage yet. Definitely worth it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why mate?

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
Very heavy duty and brake pedal proof. I use the triple clamp one from Alon on my 990 as well. KTM clutch covers are (as you found out) very weak.

I fitted the hinson on my exc as a precaution and fitted the triple clamp one after taking a chunk out of the 990 one last summer. Preventative measures.

Personally, l am not keen on the plastic covers as they reduce clearance between pedal and case and fill up behind with dirt.

I dont know if you can get the self adhesive carbon covers for the exc (like the ones for the 950/990) There was a portugese company doing decent carbon, might be worth having a search.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts