KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have been offered a new set of wheels for my bike, ive got a new 2011 xc300 and it has the new excel silver rims with the black pin stripe, zink plated spokes with polished hubs, all well tasty but i really want black rims and this wheel set i have seen has black 360 pro rims with orange hollis hubs and stainless spokes, just wondered if anyone has had or knows if they are any good or as good as my standard set ?? if they are i am going to sell my silver set and get some.... any info would be great
Al

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
i've just sold a standard 2011 set the same a yours which were brand new unused for a smidge over £400

The hollis/jbe/dna/whatever they are called and are being brought in from the states by a few people me included, they use the chinese rims which are basically sm pro rims as we know them in the uk who are imported in by central wheels and no they are not better than the a60's as fitted as standard to your 2011 ktm xc

The bling wheels are heavier and not as strong as your OEM ktm jobbies, ok the hubs are billet and ktm are cast but thats all. Ktm use double butted spokes for lightness and extra strength. I've weighed both wheels the billet version and 2011 ktm OEM and the ktm wheels are nearly .5kg lighter, ok that doesnt sound much not as heavy as a good dump some might say :D but when its spinning round at high speed who knows????

I've got the billet ones and there good well built wheels and are currently on my xc, i dont think at my level i would notice any difference but prefer the bling look myslef

anyway just my 2p worth.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks mate this is the info i have been looking for, i really like the bling wheels but im allso into the bike being as light as poss and i dont wana swap my wheels for a set which are not as good even if they do look cool ... im torn now as i was thinking sell my stock wheels and replace with the sm/hollis ones, strength for me isnt to much of an issue as im just a weekend down the lanes kind of guy these days but i love my new bike due to its lightness so its a tuff call....

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
yes al7 is whats on the rim but they are the new a60's is what we call them here, best part of £270 or there abouts just for the rims at full trade disc :eek:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shit the bed!! i guess there super light and strong ... i dont wana replace them with something thats not as good really shit 270 trade thats harsh !! still i guess i could sell mine for 150ish do you think ?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
stick with the silver ones as they will look good after a few rides not all scratched after a few rides and tyre changes!

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
sm pro rims are roughly £130 ish for the pair and stock excels not a60's £190

Your rims are used but still good they are worth what someones prepared to pay for them :confused:

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
or send them to me and i'll strip/rebuild and re-anodise them black £80 plus post back to you but you'll have to stick your own pin stripe back on, either by painting or rim tape

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oo sounds tempting mate what kind of job (no offence) will the anodise be ? will they need to be laqured after ? are the laqured as standard ? sorry if im sounding like a dumb ass , allso what kind of turn around time are we looking at mate....

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
excel rims and only excel as standard come laquered, everything else is just hot sealed.

The finish will be good, jet black and shiny as your working with new ally it always come out well. They will be hot sealed not laquered so same at the jbe/sm pro rims and to be fair witout the laquer they are not as durable as excels but thats what you pay the money for.

Nobody i know laquers anodised parts persay. Turn around nominally a week, but if you ask sheep11 i did some work for him same day to get him out this weekend.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok dude if its cool ill have a think (again thanks for the offer and all the help) and give tallon a call tomorrow to see what they are going to sting me for new, do you no if the standard excel's are much heavier than the a60's and will the they be able to be laced up using my standard spokes ect ? i think we have an account with tallon so fingers crossed i wouldnt have to pay full price ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts