KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ment to say you might have to cut the end down off the pliers abit so it goes into the holes in the side of the piston far enough hope it helps people with this annoyin job !!!!!

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
It might be a fucker if those tips snap off and drop into the motor?

Reactions: Ktmrab666

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ment to say you might have to cut the end down off the pliers abit so it goes into the holes in the side of the piston far enough hope it helps people with this annoyin job !!!!! View attachment 36957
Hello again
just passin some advice threw might help
Ever spent ages tryin to get the bloody c clip in the ktm 250 300 pistons with out it flyin out or scoring the side of the piston and no where seems to sell a tool in the uk unless you want to pay a fortune.
Well all ya need is a pair of long nose pliers and a grinder !
Simply cut a little cut close to the end of each jaw so the circlip can sit in the grove and thats it 5 second job!! View attachment 36954 View attachment 36955
You have an answer for everything......should have been a Politician........oh no, sorry they don't answer anything ;)
Thank you am so glad you took the time to say that for me 😉👌 who put 50p in you the day 😂😂

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I did my piston and oil pump on New Year’s Eve, I lost the clip, it hit my shoulder, I then heard it hit something soft then never to be seen again.
My wife, son and daughter helped me look for over an hour and a half, in the end I drove 45mins to PremierBikes and then 45 mins back, they felt so sorry for me that they didn’t charge me for it 😳

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
It could have been worse - you could have had to make the journey with a smarting bloodshot eye ;-).

Off topic, but how many hrs and how did the piston look?

Timing the renewal of both piston and pump makes sense.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I did my piston and oil pump on New Year’s Eve, I lost the clip, it hit my shoulder, I then heard it hit something soft then never to be seen again.
My wife, son and daughter helped me look for over an hour and a half, in the end I drove 45mins to PremierBikes and then 45 mins back, they felt so sorry for me that they didn’t charge me for it 😳
Ffs 🤤🤤

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It could have been worse - you could have had to make the journey with a smarting bloodshot eye ;-).

Off topic, but how many hrs and how did the piston look?

Timing the renewal of both piston and pump makes sense.
104 hours, I did it because I could and believe “prevention is better than cure”.
the piston looked fine but starting to have a little blow by, the Oil pump was a bit of a pain as it wouldn’t prime, it just turned out that I had to hold the throttle open for about 20 seconds and not the 5 stated.

i still haven’t found the clip!

Reactions: Ship

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Thanks for that.

You will find the circlip when looking for the next dropped bolt/nut/washer ;-)

Taking a magnet for a walk around the place might find a load of lost bits.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Probably, I’m just glad I always put a rag around the engine, otherwise I’d have convinced myself it had ricochet off of my shoulder into the engine and I’d have been stripping that down.

Reactions: Ship

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
"Wrist pin"...that's the sort of crap that Trump would call it!

It's a gudgeon pin circlip, one should always have a cup of tea and cucumber sandwich immediately after fitting a pair of circlips.
Pair. You only need to do one 😉

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just a word of caution, be careful when compressing the circlip. Only pinch it just enough for it to slide into place. If you compress it too far it stays compressed and is a loose fit in the groove. I'd imagine your engine wouldn't be too great with that clip wedged between piston & barrel!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Brilliant idea. Well done. I have two pistons to do soon and I was dreading the usual pain (physical and emotional) that comes with fitting those fucking circlips.

Oh and "gudgeon pin" is what they were called in the 60s when everything was in imperial... What the fuck has a small fish got to do with an engine anyway...
I think that you mean Grunion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for that.

You will find the circlip when looking for the next dropped bolt/nut/washer ;-)

Taking a magnet for a walk around the place might find a load of lost bits.
One of these then, get a big enough one and go canal fishing, might get you a new bike or two.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Brilliant idea. Well done. I have two pistons to do soon and I was dreading the usual pain (physical and emotional) that comes with fitting those fucking circlips.

Oh and "gudgeon pin" is what they were called in the 60s when everything was in imperial... What the fuck has a small fish got to do with an engine anyway...
Because they were always fishing the clip out of the crankcase :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Reactions: kfa950sm
21 - 38 of 38 Posts