KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i smooth the throttle out?
It’s so annoying when I’m trying to green lane – one minute its power then no power etc. Trying to be smooth and the scorpions seam to be rubbish so I’m constantly having big moments.

Any advise?
Max
Ps Looking for a spare set of wheels...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Best advice is spend some time searching this forum and advrider. There's loads of information on taming the adventure throttle response.

Personally

16t front sprocket
G2 throttle cam with 400 cam
Always warm to 2 bars before riding

Enjoy having one of the most responsive engines available ....... And if it doesn't suit you swap it for a 950

Pete

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Shoulda bought a 950, loadsa lovely smooth carbie smugness going on.

:D:D:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can confirm the difference it will make with the throttle cam thing. Picked up my 990 on Saturday and immediately loved the whole bike apart from the frankly crap fuel injection. However, had a go on my mate's 990 with the G2 gizmo and it makes a huge difference even on the road so heaven knows how much better it'll be on the loose stuff.

First on accessories list I can tell ya!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I love this subject

how about put an SD R engine in it?

They seem smoother

·
Registered
72 Posts
What gearing are you running?

If it's stock, then I'd suggest lowering the gearing a little (i.e -1 at the front or +3 at the rear).

Like Frog, I'm happy to bask in 950 carb'd smugness. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dear All,

Lots of good advise there so I have ordered a 'G2 throttle tamer'. 400 profile.

From what you all say that will suit me as I do try and take it off road and her indoors also goes on the back - (however she preferred the KLR as it was smoother (because it had no acceleration as such...)).

When the C&S are worn out i'll have a look at the options.

Originally I was looking for a 950 'S' however the 3 i went to see where total sh!tters. Then I spotted this 990 S at leisure trail and it was like new - so i bought that.

I do like the bike, a lot it's just the fuelling is terrible. Of course on the upside it's the most urgent motor I have ever experienced - Riding out last weekend i swapped bikes for 20 miles with my mates 749; The Ducati was so smooth, and he said "that things f^&king mad".

I'll report back when the cam's fitted.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Shoulda bought a 950, loadsa lovely smooth carbie smugness going on.

:D:D:D

I sometimes experience jerky running with my 950 but then I realise I've forgotten to turn the choke off and it's perfect from then on:):):):)

Sorry more smugness:):D

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
G2 is good and definitely works, I also use the clutch a fair bit and I had 2 yrs on a 450EC to get used to KTMs idea of throttle response. It is silly though that you cant hold a constant throttle at low speed, its either accel or decel and little in between.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
+1

Best advice is spend some time searching this forum and advrider. There's loads of information on taming the adventure throttle response.

Personally

16t front sprocket
G2 throttle cam with 400 cam
Always warm to 2 bars before riding

Enjoy having one of the most responsive engines available ....... And if it doesn't suit you swap it for a 950

Pete

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Sell it and buy a 950 (more carbed smoothness) ;):rolleyes::D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I fitted O2 sensor eliminators (£20 on ebay from greece) and it made a big difference.They bypass the lambda sensors resulting in a richer mix at low revs which in turn smoothed the snatchy throttle while riding in traffic. last week however i fitted a pair of Leo Vince cans. The idle dropped to 1000 revs, so I reconnected the Lambda sensors. The revs are back where they should be and some of the snatchyness has returned but not as bad as with the stock cans.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I was looking at those on eBay too! But seeing as you have answered my question, ref non-stock cans I will give them a miss. As I am running 2 into one akro at the moment.
Thank god the puter crashed last night before I brought them!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
so these 02 sensor eliminater thingies work well on standard cans , mmmmmmm are they an easy job to fit ???
Not for a Paddy with sausages for fingers

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts