KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2011 990 Dakar model. It has akrapovic's fitted and I can only assume hasn't been mapped. Speaking to the seller this seems to be the case.

My question is how hard is it to actually install the map? With the correct cables (not expensive at all) and a quick review on Youtube, it seems easy enough. The big question is choosing the correct map off TuneECU. With the bike being the Dakar model (115 bhp as per the R) can anyone advise on the correct map to use and any further advise before I go and do something stupid.

Please excuse the general lack of knowledge but new to KTM and any form of mapping. Any advise would be appreciated. And if anyone is in the Liverpool area with a 990 and wants to share some knowledge, I would be more than glad to pay in beer!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Does TuneECU work with your bike? If it does and assuming that you can get hold of the actual map file then you should be able to upload the map to your ECU. I own a 2007 Speed Triple 1050 and for a while a was messing about with uploading maps to it along with making other tweaks such as the idle speed. In the end I extensively modified a map both on the fueling and on the ignition side (I was careful when doing this!). I have no idea how much I have improved the bike but I pull 1 tooth extra on the front sprocket and it still goes like a mad bastard! The other day a BMW S 1000 XR 'had a go at me' I left him for dead, they are supposed to be 165 BHP!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its easy. I sorted my last 3 ktms with just tuneecu and a few runs on the local dyno.
The akra maps can be shite.... at least it was for my smt, smr and the 690. They ran worse, not better, too rich up top, too lean down low.
Download the program and take a look at some of the maps available on the tuneecu website. Its pretty easy to find the right ones.
The only difference between your bike and the standard one is that the throttle map allows yours to open 100%, and only around 80% on the standard.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The only difference between your bike and the standard one is that the throttle map allows yours to open 100%, and only around 80% on the standard.
You sure?
20hp robbed from the throttle on the standard version for no good reason - doubt it..

I read the 990 Adv had smaller headers to cheat more mid range, if the Dakar is making 115 then it likely has superduke/smt cams and pipe diameters.

·
Registered
91 Posts
[\Quote]You sure?
20hp robbed from the throttle on the standard version for no good reason - doubt it..[/QUOTE]

Positive. Go look at the parts fiche, and download the ecu maps.

[\QUOTE]
I read the 990 Adv had smaller headers to cheat more mid range, if the Dakar is making 115 then it likely has superduke/smt cams and pipe diameters.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and no. The smt etc had fatter pipes, but they were routed differently. My smt with the proper akras and fat y pipe had a lot more mid range go tham my 990 advr with akras.
I don't know the science behind exhaust bore and length versus power and torque on the same motor, so can't explain that bit.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Hilltop will sort it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I fitted a Rottweiler Filter and a few other bits which meant my bike needed remapping. I went the Tune ECU route, downloading maps from the Rottweiler site as a starting point. Using the high desity prefilter and a map I modiified for touring (leaning out the lowwer rev ranges) the bike can now return 350km to a tank but still have good performance further up the rev range. When I change over to the low density prefilter it takes only 5 minutes to load back the original map.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have just had my 07 990 re - mapped by these people https://bsd.uk.com/ The bike is the smoothest & giving the best fuel consumption it has ever done.
At £330 I thought it was very good value, the guys seem to know the bikes & fi system very well, leaving you feeling very confident in their ability.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If you are running the baffle in the Akros I wouldn't bother with the Akro map, just turn off the SAS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses.

Ordered the bits for the SAS removal. Gonna do the map as well. I can only assume that the r map is the one to go for (Being the 20111 Dakar model) unless advised otherwise???

Been riding the bike for a bit and the throttle is as bad as everything I have read said it might be. Especially rolling off the throttle!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

Ordered the bits for the SAS removal. Gonna do the map as well. I can only assume that the r map is the one to go for (Being the 20111 Dakar model) unless advised otherwise???

Been riding the bike for a bit and the throttle is as bad as everything I have read said it might be. Especially rolling off the throttle!
New bike. Pics needed.

Its the law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Hmmm maybe should have said last 3. All ‘11 plate Dakar’s reg at Ktm centre would be LJ11 is suppose .

But yeah. My old one I think. I sold it to a young lad from Sheffield.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Sold it in March.

Just threw the secondary butterflies in the skip yesterday. Let me know if you want them back if you’re mapping

1 - 20 of 26 Posts