KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
201 - 220 of 331 Posts

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Anyone have any experience of the DIY kits available? There seem to be quite a few options to convert a standard MTB to an eMTB. I've been looking at these ones.

All-in prices is under £1000 including the battery.

This is my doner bike for the conversion.
I bought a 750w mid drive kit from Amazon a couple of years ago and fitted it to a lightweight Orange mountain bike(Evo 4) which was about 10 years old at the time. Fitting was a bit of a faff, mainly getting the unit into the bottom bracket but a dremel sorted that out. I've used it for the last two years with no problems though I do alternate between that and a non e cyclo cross bike I have. It's a great bit of kick and as long as you secure the battery to the frame properly you'll have no issues. Cost was £600 at the time and well worth doing. Top speed is about 35mph so not road legal but I've never been stopped(rarley use it on road occifer). I have done 50 miles and battery still showing just less than quarter left, it has never left me stranded although still pedals well with no assist so wouldn't be a great problem if it did. You need a strong frame and a light bike as the units and battery are very heavy.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
I bought a 750w mid drive kit from Amazon a couple of years ago and fitted it to a lightweight Orange mountain bike(Evo 4) which was about 10 years old at the time. Fitting was a bit of a faff, mainly getting the unit into the bottom bracket but a dremel sorted that out. I've used it for the last two years with no problems though I do alternate between that and a non e cyclo cross bike I have. It's a great bit of kick and as long as you secure the battery to the frame properly you'll have no issues. Cost was £600 at the time and well worth doing. Top speed is about 35mph so not road legal but I've never been stopped(rarley use it on road occifer). I have done 50 miles and battery still showing just less than quarter left, it has never left me stranded although still pedals well with no assist so wouldn't be a great problem if it did. You need a strong frame and a light bike as the units and battery are very heavy.
That sounds encouraging. I really like the idea as it would open up so many more trails around where I live but can't justify forking out for a new eMTB right now. Looks like a good option.

Was the amazon kit unbranded Chinese stuff?

·
Registered
223 Posts
That sounds encouraging. I really like the idea as it would open up so many more trails around where I live but can't justify forking out for a new eMTB right now. Looks like a good option.Was the amazon kit unbranded Chinese stuff?
This was the order, came from Germany. Battery unbranded but mid drive was Bafang. Amazon Site saying not available from that seller anymore and similar ones seem to have hiked the prices up considerably.

Pswpower 48V13Ah Ebike Battery+54.6V2A Charger,Hairon the Interior Battery 18650 ebike Battery Pack fit 48V750W Motor(Germany Warehouse)(AD) PXC-HL-48

Sold by: pswpower store

£213.45

Condition: New

Buy it again

48V 750W Bafang/8fun BBS02B Mid Crank Drive Motor Kits APT LCD Display Geared Motor Kit Eletric Bicycle ebike Kits (44Teeth P850C)(Germany warehouse)

Sold by: pswpower store

£380.49

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Thanks. The Bafang one is the the one most people talk about.

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
Get a purpose built bike. They are a comprise.
And you'll look like a knob with a kit. Like those blokes you see flying through the streets on a bike with a trimmer motor on it. You know they're weird.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
A decent purpose built bike is £5k. This will be less than £1k and gives me a good idea if its for me or not. If I like enough I'll get one of those Cube ones.

Reactions: DAB

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
You'll love it, if you get a good bike. They are brilliant fun.
A £1000 isn't cheap. You love finance, get one on credit.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
The only thing that I'm not sure about is that I use my MTB for excercise and if I go electric will I loose the fitness aspect of it and it become just a toy.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I thought that but you can do as little or as much as you want, the peddle assist knock off at 15 mph so most if the time I am out of electric but have the option of dropping it down to 15 mph if I am fucked , in eco mode it's a little bit easier than riding a bike

If you close to Wales you can have a few hours on mine to suck it and see , 5 mins from bike park Wales

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Thanks Fozzy, I'm in Wales this weekend forn the Rally Moto event but not sure I'll have time.

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
The only thing that I'm not sure about is that I use my MTB for excercise and if I go electric will I loose the fitness aspect of it and it become just a toy.
Definitely not. You ride further for longer and can control your heart rate better. My bike only doubles my leg strength. Which isn't much! 😏
I can also back the power off and push hard, great quad burn.
I've become a better rider too. You can maintain higher speed on single track because you can accelerate quicker out of corners. So you are traveling faster, your skills sharpen. Also when you stop peddling you slow faster, so it encourages spinning the peddles more. Faster leg speed.
Rides are way more enjoyable so you ride more often.
Of course you get fitter on a normal bike, I still ride my other ones, they feel like they have flat tyres now!
But unless you have 3 hours spare a week to train and it's your main passion, you'll be just as fit. Every person that rides mine says, Holy fuck! That's awesome! I had to buy my wife one after one ride! And she isn't into fitness. But is now.
One of the best things I've ever bought.
If you can afford it, get a full suspension bike.
You won't regret it.
This ride was so fun. Along the beach at 25kph and then into the hills. Big calorie burn. Ran the battery out. Loved it.
Light Product Black Slope Font

·
Registered
352 Posts
A decent purpose built bike is £5k. This will be less than £1k and gives me a good idea if its for me or not.
Honestly it wont give you any idea if you like it or not. There so far apart from the real thing. Like bollox says, you will look a reet cununt wobbling round on an old bike doing 30 mph with shit flying off it everywhere.

If you leave your teeth at home and ride through town people might throw money at you for looking like a homeless bum, then you might be able to get a proper one.

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
Honestly it wont give you any idea if you like it or not. There so far apart from the real thing. Like bollox says, you will look a reet cununt wobbling round on an old bike doing 30 mph with shit flying off it everywhere.

If you leave your teeth at home and ride through town people might throw money at you for looking like a homeless bum, then you might be able to get a proper one.
😂

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts

How are they different and have you seen the hard tail i plan to use it on?

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Reactions: Bollocks

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
We'll the offers there you can fuck off for a few hours I can point you in the right direction

Just seen this on cunt book

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I was having some grub around two months ago these two old farts roll up on ebikes , real trick , there was no seats outside so I said I have no friends sit by me , they were saying how much they are enjoying , literally a hour ago I was walking Trev up the taff trail and he rocked up with his wife on a ebike , cycled from the valleys to Cardiff bay , stopped had some grub and were heading home, he said the wife loves it , it's about 55 miles round trip , they wouldn't of done it without ebike

201 - 220 of 331 Posts