KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
221 - 240 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't listen to the prima donna's. Kit looks fine if fitted right to the right frame and will perform better than a lot of the purpose built bikes at 5 times the price. I've ridden a Cube and a top of the range Decathlon one and I preferred mine, They may look better but it;s not a fashion parade. Snobbery is alive and well in the mountain biking world.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Don't listen to the prima donna's. Kit looks fine if fitted right to the right frame and will perform better than a lot of the purpose built bikes at 5 times the price. I've ridden a Cube and a top of the range Decathlon one and I preferred mine, They may look better but it;s not a fashion parade. Snobbery is alive and well in the mountain biking world.
yes there is snobbery ..last week at kielda i heard these two blokes say as i was sat waiting on bf having a wee. cant anybody ride a normal bike these days ....bet that fucker did not get to top of keilda where black run starts its fucking savage to ride up on a normal bike no way could i do it ! ebike has made me get off my fat arse and do stuff i could not do without that bike...

·
Registered
19,238 Posts
Nah no snobbery.

Well I'm off for a mega ride with the missus.
Neat and light
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

Fast and powerful
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

Or maybe I should have fitted a motor to this? 🤔
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

You buy what you need and can afford. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Looks like most decent eMTB's are out of stock in the UK. Brexit and COVID?.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
2020 Lapierre 4.5 overvolt with the Yamaha motor is very good. Bought secondhand for £2.2k. Ride it over local woods, trails also a bit of trials riding in and out of a stream.

Next bike would need to have the gearbox and motor combo getting rid of the derailure and cassette.

·
Registered
19,238 Posts
Looks like most decent eMTB's are out of stock in the UK. Brexit and COVID?.
Yeah huge demand and covid. They are coming back in here now. And the new 2022 models are out, so there's that annoying transition stage. Lots of brands though. I had to ring around heaps of dealers to get my wifes. It was an ex demo with $1000 off on the floor.
Depending on what you want to spend or which direction. Have a looks at Specialized Levo in alloy. Top bike. I have the SL which is way lighter, but less power and battery life. But very light for an Ebike. Amazing downhill on rough stuff

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Whyte and Trek look interesting and get great reviews. Whyte is also a UK manufacturer.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
2020 Lapierre 4.5 overvolt with the Yamaha motor is very good. Bought secondhand for £2.2k. Ride it over local woods, trails also a bit of trials riding in and out of a stream.

Next bike would need to have the gearbox and motor combo getting rid of the derailure and cassette.
Engine and gearbox combined? I've not read about that?

Reactions: spud1968

·
Registered
19,238 Posts
To be honest, all these manufacturers are great. It's just slight differences in geometry and different rear suspension design. They are all made in Taiwan, at very high standards.
And then it gets down to the components fitted. With Shimano or SRAM, both brilliant. And a couple of suspension companies. It just depends on what level of there gear you want. That's where the money is.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I thought hub gearing, like old fashioned sturmey archer was the future - for sure derailleur is not the way to go
Cant say I know of stringy archer.

Chains and cassettes wear fast. A friend is changing his embt change every three months or 300 miles. My bike, the cassettes smallest cog is worn the former owner mainly used it to ride to work. The chain, derailleur, cassette are still conventional MBT kit but when you sling a motor things wear out. Maybe some parts are beefed up but it all looks skinny bicycle shit to me.

The higher the power motor the quicker it drains the battery so manufacturers are upping the battery wattage and so weight goes up! When motors can last for 100 miles in turbo/high power mode that will be another game changer, but only if the weight is close to 20kg. I get about 30 miles in high power and it’s just shy of 25kg with a 500watt batt and 70nm motor.

221 - 240 of 330 Posts