KTM Owners Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
just got back from a good spanking to whitby and back heres a couple of pics and this looks fine after a good spanking !
Whats more concerning is a did 209 miles since last topping the oil up last weekend and just put 400ml of oil in sheeesh nearly half a ltr per 200 miles lmao
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Yellow Motor vehicle Cylinder
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Finger Automotive exhaust

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Sorry if I’ve missed this but what oil are you putting in it? If you’re using 10-40 it will drink it.

Also with the Rottweiler filter, where does the breather go that normally goes into the top of the airbox?

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
A mate bought a 990SMT from a bike shop, they’d serviced it with generic 10-40 motorcycle oil, he was using a litre a week. We swapped it onto 10-60 Motorex and it settled right down. My 20k 950 SMR was the same, now on the correct oil uses hardly any.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
when i picked the bike after it was serviced i asked what oil was in it 10w40 they told me so i have been using shell advance ultra fully synthetic 10w40, i have been thinking along the same lines as is the oil to thin so i bought 5ltr can of 15w50 fully synthetic to change it to and see what happens there.
The crankcase breather hose still goes upto the base plate of the air filter so no change from the oem filter box.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
maybe you should have a word with the dealer about that ! they dont even think the manual is right reguarding how to check the oil level and have there own ideas never mind what oil they put in it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
OEM is leading...
if they say 15W50 and dealer puts in 10W40 and never mind OEM instructions ours is better, id thank them peacefully and not come back there for service.

who makes these engines, KTM or your dealer? you'd think they know their stuff don't you reckon???
not to say if the user has a clear situation that happend by chance and not been dealt with before, fair enough the user has a point.

I think Ship, amongst others, have a realistic/sound view on these LC8 lumps, id try what he suggested (the bit that comes after RTFM).

Reactions: Ship

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
oh they have told me some proper porkies over the years ! me 790 duke anti wheelie didnt work they said oh we havent got anyone who can wheelie a bike to test it ! fair enough so i said watch this antiwheelie on pull away 1st 2nd nearly vertical come back switched it to off and did exactly the same his reply was its sopposed to be like that ! lmao and the best the abs didnt work on the rear wheel he rode it locked the rear for about 5yards as he stopped big black tyre mark and he said thats how it is sopposed to work ! so abs is meant to lock the rear wheel is it ! mmmm im sure i aint the only 1 who has had more shite from a dealer than i dont know what but when you use them to service your bikes to get the book stamped you are expecting it to be done properly/

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
i asked what oil was in it after the service and 10w40 i was told so i bought another 4lt of it but thats all gone now so next weekend when its due to be topped up its getting an oil change to 15w50/

21 - 37 of 37 Posts