KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking that if I could reduce the weight of my 950SM I might be able to improve the handling, responsiveness or just generally make it more nimble and sharp through the lanes. Firstly does anyone think that buy reducing the weight of the bike it would improve the handling and if so does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this. I don't have a big budget so Titanium exhausts and carbon wheels are out.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Was going to say replace the cans as they weigh a ton ..Its the best way to shed a load of weight ...Not sure of any other way on a tight budget

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
i would say other than the cans there isnt much. id say it was a fairly 'lean' bike as it is tbh. drop the forks 10mm will sharpen it up.... susp settings could help.. check 666's settings thread

·
Administrator
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have standard exhaust but the bike had Quill cans. Some of the things I was considering were changing the battery, I've heard that with the right type you can shave off a couple of KGs. Also I only use the bike in good weather and in daylight, I was trying to find out if i could remove the headlight mask/assembly and just have a numberplate board. I know I would loose the clocks and would have to do something with the ignition and steering lock. I was out with a guy today on a 525 exc with just a numberplate board and i think it looks much better

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think after chopping bits off the bike etc the most you could loose will be a couple of kilos ....and unless you are rossi you wouldn't notice any difference!

the bike is really nimble and quick steering anyway :confused:....have you done the usual epc/sas/airbox/filter/jetting trick? ...that's the best thing to get more poke out of it.

maybe the best thing would be to have a pro suspension set-up for your weight and riding style ;)

·
Administrator
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 950 has a long wheel base you can make it turn far better (feel much lighter / smaller)....by changing the settings, see thread below

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/supermoto/45499-950sm-front-suspension-setup-2.html

Works very well

Hi KTM666, thanks for the info. I will try this out as you have clearly put some work into this. how easy is it to drop the yoke 10mm. i don't have much equipment, do you need to support the weight of the bike whilst you do this? what do you think the effect would be if i did all settings but without dropping by 10mm?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
you do one leg at a time (Very easy)

If you do not drop forks it will not change this is the most important thing to do ,10mm is good 15mm is better

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here mate. Suspension set up will see the best returns. Or go on a diet yourself!

·
Administrator
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here mate. Suspension set up will see the best returns. Or go on a diet yourself!
Thank you for your kind advice sir, at 28 stone I could probably do with loosing a few pounds but I just luv them pies...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Seconded.

Unless you have megabucks to spend, shedding a few pounds of
rider weight is most cost effective method.

Recommend KTM666's settings, I run similar myself, based on KTM666's to start with :cool:

·
Administrator
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seconded.

Unless you have megabucks to spend, shedding a few pounds of
rider weight is most cost effective method.

Recommend KTM666's settings, I run similar myself, based on KTM666's to start with :cool:
I was joking, i'm 13 stone. I will however try 666 suspension settings, i'm just don't feel confident about lowering the forks.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
have a good shit before you set off and don't have that bacon bap half way round, much easier than shaving bits off your bike

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
just ride the fucker !!!! it will serve you well !

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
1) only do one fork leg at a time
2) if you can, use proper ratchetting tie-down straps
from handlebars to garage roof beams, to take most
of the weight that will be fighting you.
3) use a simple vernier guage to ensure even drop each leg.
4) make sure you have correct sockets and TORQUE wrench
to re-tighten fork clamps afterwards.

5) Optional: have a pal assisting

·
Registered
352 Posts
....and unless you are rossi you wouldn't notice any difference!
Thats not true, Ive chopped about 12kg off my 690SM which, granted, is a bigger percentage difference than the same off a 950 especially considering im light myself. But even at a standstill i notice a surprisingly big difference.

You can save a fair bit by junking the toolkit and manual and anything else under the seat, the SAS system, the mirrors, footpeg rubbers, pillion pegs and hangers, lighter tyres make a big difference and dont cost anything extra. You can save well over a kilo just by wearing textile trousers instead of leathers if you want to get extreme, but up to that point losing that weight can only do good even if it is only slight.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You can save well over a kilo just by wearing textile trousers instead of leathers

............and about a pound of flesh as you slide down the road without your leathers

·
Registered
185 Posts
wailingalleycat ..you missed out the first part! ..
the most you could loose will be a couple of kilos ....and unless you are rossi you wouldn't notice any difference
Your "12kg" off a 690 is a big chunk!! ..and yes most people would feel it.;)

there is not much on a road going 950 you can remove (apart from the obvious cans/rear pegs/tools and other small bits n bobs)

if I were nearer I would swap bikes for a quick comparison ride ....anyone else near him? ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bet the cans weigh a tonne on the 950? It doesnt have to be titanium there must be some cheap systems out there on ebay etc.

Im waiting for details on a lithium battery which should save another couple kilos, and having a different bracket made up for the cans which will save another kg easy. Then its cast or forged wheels if i can ever justify the cost. I know its probably not worth it but its all a bit of fun, ive hardly spent anything on it and its a much better bike than standard imo. call it a hobby, it could be worse i could be drilling out bolt heads......now theres an idea...

As for the people saying to lose some bodyweight. Why not shave a few kilos off the bike AND go on a diet?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts