KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's "my" how to on the swing arm bearings

Others will have different and prob better methods, but this works for me!

Ok, im assuming you have removed the old ones, this is justa refitting guide but essentially its the reverse to take em out!

Ok starting with a clear bore as shown make sure you get any dirt out of there and make sure there are no sharp edges (in case you fucked up when taking out the old ones!) I have a little dirt round the outer edge but i will clean that later!

I made up a tool out of threaded bar and washers and sockets etc etc, on one end put your washers on big enough so they will clamp against the edge of the bore and not go inside, on the outer of this side put on two nuts and tighten them against each other this is what you will grip to stop the bar spinning.

On the other side put your new bearing on and slide it up to the bore and centre it (mine is off here cos im taking pics!) on top of that put a wahser big enough to cover the bearing face but small enough to fit inside the first bore but not too small that it could go into the smaller bore. then on top of that a selection of washers and a socket to take up some space. then finally put your nut on.

Now hold the side with the two nuts solid by putting a shifter or whatever over the two nuts (this ensures that you dont unscrew the outer one therefore holding the bar tight cos they are locked together!) then tighten the side down that you are drawing the bearing in from:

I found that my bearing went in slightly angle, if this happens stop then put an even bigger washer on so it can get inside any of the bores, then tighten again this way it hits the edge on one side and brings the other side flat and true:

Now the bearing is concentric, put the smaller washer back on and tighten down the nut slowly drawing the bearing into the bore. theres no rush and if something feels too tight STOP!! and have a look, there will be some resistance but not enough that you have to strain to turn it! draw the bearing in until everything tightens right up, at this point the washer will be flat against the inner face and the bearing is fully home!

NOTE: Be careful once you take the foam out the middle of the new bearings , these are not caged bearings so if you fuck about too much and end up banging it about or hitting the needles they will fall out!!
once your finished putting in the bearings on one side, put the foam back in until your ready to mount the swing arm!

Repeat for the other side.

will follow up shortly with the seals, im just doing it the now. putting the bearings in should only take about 10-15 mins its a quick and relatively simple job.

·
Premium Member
31,428 Posts
Force lots of red grease into the bearing then put the inner race in so the rollers dont fall out ;) The threaded bar will pass through the inner race.

Personally I warm up the swingarm with a hot air gun and put the bearings in the freezer.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did forget to mentionm I do also put them in the freezer, been in there for like two weeks! deep freeze :D

didnt use the gun though but if im at work, I use the gas axe for that! :smokin:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Mmmmmm...........May be a sticky for this.

Always good to see how others do things, even better with pics & alternative tips from those in the know, TOP JOB :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts