KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys problem the bearings fall out of the hub im taking it that its worn but dont want to throw away as have a spare wheel so looking to try and fix.

when you fit bearings in and mount up on the bike its like if the bearings are shot due to the free play.

bearing seal it in? will it work?

any help KEV, NIK,MARK

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Thats cos the previous person has not heated the hub to remove the old bearings.

You can use high strength bearing retainer, but the hubs will never be as good as new.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
does anyone know if it would be possible to fit an over-size bearing? if you go to your local bearing shop (good one in Derby if you get stuck) with the old bearing and the hub they might get you sorted...

also another thought as the concentricity may not be very good, possibly you could have the hole machined 'round' again and use a brass shim/ring to 'line' the hole to bring it back to standard size. might be a bit fiddly but not beyond the realms of possibility. If all else fails, check the price of a hub on ebay but make sure its not being sold for the same reason you are swapping yours out!

·
Registered
124 Posts
hi there, my ktm 250 wheel has done this before and again yesterday. my procedure to fix them is.

put new bearings in freezer
heat up hub and remove old bearings
chemical metal or similar product and paste it on the the of the hub,
wait for it to dry and sand down until slightly bigger than bearing
the chemical metal will turn like the original hub so no problem when fitting new bearing
once its the correct size for bearing put a decent amount of heldite jointing compound and then insert bearing, wait 24hours and jobs a good one.
make sure the hub is hot when putting bearing in and bearing is freezing :D

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My mates wheel was like this, bearing fit helped but there was still some play, so we ended up using a small punch and punching lots of small pimples around the diameters of the hub's bores before refitting the bearings, worked a treat

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mates wheel was like this, bearing fit helped but there was still some play, so we ended up using a small punch and punching lots of small pimples around the diameters of the hub's bores before refitting the bearings, worked a treat
yes but i belive this will only work once?

i was thinking chemical metal them in and sand down and put back in

i normally doing a set of bearings at least every 10 hours so would need to make sur i can re fit new ones without to much hastle.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If your doing bearings every 10 hours I think you should replace the wheel spacers and seals too as worn spacers and seals will let all the crap thru and into your bearings,
If you don't pepper the bores with millions of pimples you'll be good to put more on the next time your bearings need replaced so should get a good few changes out of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts