KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject says it all really, I haven't even picked up my bike yet (tomorrow!!) and I've gotten so nervous about it's safety that I've found a new flat with a secure garage... (Will still be fitting a ground anchor and my almax of course!)

How's that for dedication? :rotflmao:

/bfg

·
Registered
249 Posts
What a guy.

(I put a new insulated door on my garage, plus lined the walls, put insulation in the roof and an electric heater right next to it - I sit under a sleeping bag in the house)

You'll love the bike - but I fear this is only the start of the expense. Next it'll be cans, plastics, accessories etc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Picked mine up today ...... in the wet...... 1 hour home ........ in the wet....... and lovin it large........ but it is dirty now .

·
Registered
249 Posts
bfg - Which hugger have you got? Let me know if it works.

Been looking for one as my shock is covered in she-hite. Only one that looks as though it properly covers the rear wheel is the Skidmarx one, but it's £80 from plastic, £130 for carbon.

The SD is supposed to fit, but it isn't very long either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bfg - Which hugger have you got? Let me know if it works.
Yeah I bought the skidmarx one in plastic - want to repaint it matt black before fitting so it may take me a while. I think that's our only option at the moment...

/bfg

·
Registered
446 Posts
I got a carbon Skidmarx one at the Bike show last year on a deal. Might be able to do the same if you can wait until the end of November.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wished i loved mine,never was worth 10k got mine on a 10 plate a month later they were selling them for 9500 with all the goodies now 8500 no vat that was the final nail in it's coffin chain clatters about around town and makes the whole bike vibrate on a run has drank a litre of oil in 4000mile my first and last four stroke that's ever going to do that.they said you'd get50mpg bullshit 35 and my 09 zzr1400 costs £140 to service this SPECIAL twin that drinks oil costs £400 can't wait to trade it in next month anybody want my leo vince's around that time i'm looking in the region of £300 cheers smtgaz

·
Registered
249 Posts
smtgaz,

I got 43mpg out of mine until I had it tuned - 36'ish mpg now - doh! I assume you've put the akro map in when you installed the Leo Vince's?
To be fair 1lt of oil in the 1st 4k miles isn't too bad - BMW's drink alot more be they 2 or 4 cylinder - in fact I think my VFR and Kwak's did the same until the engines bedded in. My Kwak's cost a damn site more to service as well, that's why I don't run them anymore.

Vibration sounds weird - is the chain tension all to pot? You know the chain tension is measured differently to most bikes, don't you? As per the instruction manual.
What else is wrong with the bike? 4k miles in 3 or 4 months sounds as though you've been having a helluva time?
Must admit mine is by no means perfect and I object to having to spend money to 'fix' the fuelling problems - but it is still a great bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
SMT GAZ.... Sounds like your main issue is with the recent price reductions.. You need to ask yourselve where you happy with with the deal at time of purchase and if so.... what the feck!!!!!! Ive just change my GS for a SMT paid £9500 with Luggage gel seat and Tour screen. Also £200 quid for first service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can now buy buy same bike for £8500 less Extras with first service incl for £8500.. do I feel cheated Hell no the bike is so Sweet it makes me feel alive again evertime i push the fast forward button............ in my opinion theres nothing out there that comes close to licking its Tyres....

Regards RB

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - bottle of Malt in one hand - Hamburger in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "YEEEHAAAA!!!, what a ride!!"

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well said, RB!
I traded my BMW 650 GS twin for a 990 SM after 3 months owning it. Lost some money for the accessories for the GS, money for the trade-in, then fork out some more for the accessories of the 990 SM.

Well I wake up everyday looking at the bike, even if I don't get to ride it it made me excited and feel alive thinking of the possibilities. Considering we can die any given moment, I think it's definitely worth the money spent, extra or not.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wished i loved mine,never was worth 10k got mine on a 10 plate a month later they were selling them for 9500 with all the goodies now 8500 no vat that was the final nail in it's coffin chain clatters about around town and makes the whole bike vibrate on a run has drank a litre of oil in 4000mile my first and last four stroke that's ever going to do that.they said you'd get50mpg bullshit 35 and my 09 zzr1400 costs £140 to service this SPECIAL twin that drinks oil costs £400 can't wait to trade it in next month anybody want my leo vince's around that time i'm looking in the region of £300 cheers smtgaz
Stick with it smtgaz.

These really are pretty special bits of kit and take some understanding. Like you I've had a ZZr1400 and lots of other similar stuff and loved it, but looking back it was just another jap, numb, missile which had big balls coz of its hyper speed.

The SMT on the other hand is a living, breathing creation. I've just done south of france and back and not for a second did I want for my ZZR, even on the autobahns.

I for one couldn't even consider letting go of my SMT, or KTM for that matter...............I'm hooked. But the world would be boring if we all thought the same.

Hope you find what you are looking for dude.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ditto - bet there are a shit load of UK owners feeling pretty aggrieved re: pricing lately. I got the same deal £9k5 with extras, though to be fair I use them all so shouldn't grumble. I have to say the KTM is a much more involving ride than many - maybe not as frugal or refined as many bikes - but non-the-worse for that.
I sometimes wonder why KTM didn't finish the bike off before they sold it - but I tend to modify most everything I buy, so again I doubt I have any right to complain.
I honestly can't think what I'd change it for - even if I could afford a Ducati I'm not sure I would.
You have to admit - once you get out and about on the KTM it MUST put a big grin on your face and that's what it's all about.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's what I'm doing - ordered a Skidmarx plastic hugger, getting it done satin black.
The matt blacn finish doesn't quite match and also marks really easily.
fyi - at the same time I'm getting some spare side panels sprayed satin black and white decals made up to match the original black ones. I'm hoping it'll look good - certainly better than the Versys look-a-like 2011 models.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks fella's recent events in the last couple of day's have made me change my mind so i am sticking with the smt,mainly because finding a very reasonable dealer[redline in loughboro]doing me a great deal on a service and a pair of tyres even though i didn't buy the bike from them and them changing the smt to a 16 tooth front sprocket has totally transformed the bike i really look forward to every ride now and because the gearing now encourages you to rev it much harder the leo vince's really BARK now,so whoever i promised them to [i think it was noddy] i'm really sorry mate i'll be keeping them now sorry to waste your time but thought it best to tell you sooner rather than later,thanks people,smtgaz

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks fella's recent events in the last couple of day's have made me change my mind so i am sticking with the smt,mainly because finding a very reasonable dealer[redline in loughboro]doing me a great deal on a service and a pair of tyres even though i didn't buy the bike from them and them changing the smt to a 16 tooth front sprocket has totally transformed the bike i really look forward to every ride now and because the gearing now encourages you to rev it much harder the leo vince's really BARK now,so whoever i promised them to [i think it was noddy] i'm really sorry mate i'll be keeping them now sorry to waste your time but thought it best to tell you sooner rather than later,thanks people,smtgaz
:eek:Gaz, I hadn't told SWMBO I was on a promise for these anyway! Ah well, will look at the ones that one of our esteemed members are offering....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts