KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching Discovery, the Cobra replica kit car build.

I fancy selling up all the KTM stuff and building one :eek:

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
First dibs on a nice 450 rfs if you do!!

got to say, it must be cheaper to do one that someone else has already had their midlife crisis pumping all their life savings into but then want's to sell to get their wife to come back home as they are sick of eating just supernoodles....

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be right... until the wheel falls of cos the guy held the wishbone in place with self tappers!

Been checking out some builder's websites. One guy ordered a kit at a show then took the finished car to the same show following year, another took 4 years....... then there are the unfinished projects sitting for decades in garages..... a bit like my second 06 450 SXS ;)

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
^^
very true... can't rush perfection though!! whats the going rate for a good Cobra kit, and whats a good donor engine? Have only ever once seen a real AC Cobra, belonging to a Ferrari dealer. The guy had restored it twice as after the first time the boot handle was upside down and his words "it really bugged me so I did it again" it was an amazing car and was winning competitions all over the place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I didn't think fixing the body shell to the chassis with pop rivets was such a clever idea, then I am a bit belt and braces..

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10k for a kit. I guess one of the issues must be finding a good donor as Sierras and Granadas have all totally rotted away now.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
You could possibly strike lucky with a sierra cosworth, but then the price of the build mounts up.... wonder what BMW's would be like to use as a donor car? not sure if it is possible or needs to be a sierra...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Budget 30-40k for a decent build including the kit. The cheaper ones are pony and just feel and drive terribly.
I've just been around Spa francochamps in my freinds Dax Tojero, 540bhp 8.2 steel/alloy V8 500 ft/lbs of torque from 1200 rpm - that is one hell of a car, rides beautifully over the bumps and eats Ferrari challange 360 flappy paddle cars on the strights.
Nice.
Ohh and it sounds like WW2 fighter airplane.
Personally - If i was thinking of building another kit i'd definalty go for a sylva J15.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
There a few around that use Jaguar donor parts - at the end of the day a 'genuine facsimile of the real thing' is always that - a poor man's version of the Real MacKay.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Watching Discovery, the Cobra replica kit car build.

I fancy selling up all the KTM stuff and building one :eek:

and ive noticed i have started to smell of piss
thats you and Alanj then

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Seriously, there must be a cheaper way to scare the crap out of yourself with a steering wheel. Don't get me wrong, I love classic cars. The shape and sound of a good cobra work as well for me as the next man. But thats where it ends. The handling is just so sketchy.
If you really want to get a bit of open top V8 powered fun, you could do a whole lot worse than a 5L TVR Chim for the money. An 896kg fibreglass package containing a full tube steel ladder frame chassis populated almost entirely by off the shelf parts from ford, rover, etc. The handling and balance of the car are just superb, they dance like a spanish pony, and do tricks on command. When it rains, you slot in the 1 piece carbon fibre roof, which fits neatly in the boot with room to spare, and carry on ala hardtop. We got 400Hp to the ground from a 5L just with aftermarket EFI and the sound out of the tuned length wrap around expansion headers can only be experienced, not described.

Sounds like a sales pitch I know... And I did used to work for the company lol. I've had a 4L and a 4.5L, and the darn things left a mark on me. I won't be happy with cars until I get another one. Their downside is that they were hand made. They were sold turnkey, but ownership is much like that of a kit car. Ideal for someone who wants to be involved in the maintenance of their car. Anyway, don't take my word for it. Take one for a spin. The prices over there these days are low enough to make me weep.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, TVR is an option. But I figure it will depreciate faster than a well built Cobra kit.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
tvr s are probably a good buy now that you cant get them anymore especially as they get rarer
trouble is only tvr ive ever passed is normally sticking out of a ditch backwards:D

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I did a load of work on a guys Cobra some years ago...he had some monster 7litre ed pink tuned lump in it with a carb the size of Kent...when it was finished he drove it a few time scared the crap out off himself and instanly sold it too some loone from up norf..........TVR they must be as cheap as chips now...it was the type of car you owed for 18 months and then got out of as quick as you could as the money run out and it slowly filled up with water

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yeah I thought the late 90's TVR's had done just about all the depreciating they could by now. One of these days I'm going to fly over there, fill a 20' box with them and send them here. Register the nicest one, and strip the other two for hillclimb.

Anyway, back on topic. Are you allowed to have authentic side pipes on a cobra over there?

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyway, back on topic. Are you allowed to have authentic side pipes on a cobra over there?
Yes, you can still do whatever you like.... once it has passed the initial pre registration test.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts