KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a motomaster calliper & 320mm single disc on my 950 Adv.

For the calliper to clear the spokes with a 21" wheel on, I need to space the disc and the calliper 5mm away from the spokes.

From what I understand from others that have done this, I need a spacer for the disc (could be a machined 1-piece - or could use small spacers at each bolt).

I also probably need to machine off some material from the hanger adapter (not sure how much exactly - but enough to make sure there are no clearance issues with disc, bolts, etc.

(I think I also need to relocate the speedo sensor)

Now, since I dont have a mill - or know anyone with a mill - wondering what suggestions ppl have. Is there anyone close to London that would do a bit of machining on a weekend and not charge an arm and a leg? Any members here? :D

Any suggestions for the disc spacer?

·
Premium Member
31,545 Posts
Space the disc out using a little stack of washers on only 3 screws. Once the clearance is correct, measure the thickness of the stack.

I have used seperate spacers in the past and one piece spacers just like the 660 SMC and Duke use as standard.

Once you know for certain the thickness, tell me as I might already have a spacer of the correct thickness :)

Machining the caliper carrier is a bit scary, you dont want to loose too much meat off brake components. If you cant find anyone local I can get that sorted, but you need to be precise as to what needs changing.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Space the disc out using a little stack of washers on only 3 screws. Once the clearance is correct, measure the thickness of the stack.

I have used seperate spacers in the past and one piece spacers just like the 660 SMC and Duke use as standard.

Once you know for certain the thickness, tell me as I might already have a spacer of the correct thickness :)

Machining the caliper carrier is a bit scary, you dont want to loose too much meat off brake components. If you cant find anyone local I can get that sorted, but you need to be precise as to what needs changing.
Im pretty certain the disc spacer needs to be 5mm. (thats what others have done on the 950A/SE)
As for the machining on the carrier adapter... I dont know exactly what needs doing yet. There is an element of trial and error there...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Where I work, we use a company called Advanced Engineering they are based in east sussex and they are very good at what they do, Not sure if they will have time to do something like that as we are putting a load of work there way but could give them a try..

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a cnc milling machine (i make top yokes for bikes for a living) if you can send me a drawing i can see what sort of time it will take. I will do it as cheap as possible and i wont charge you for measuring the original bracket or programming the machine code for it.

Just PM me

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a cnc milling machine (i make top yokes for bikes for a living) if you can send me a drawing i can see what sort of time it will take. I will do it as cheap as possible and i wont charge you for measuring the original bracket or programming the machine code for it.

Just PM me
Cheers mate. I will have a bit of a closer look at what Im trying to do - see if I can come up with something a bit more detailed/concrete
At the moment, I only know roughly what needs to be done - nothing specific at all...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Just PM me

Top man i got a wee job for ya il'l be in touch involves a top yoke n a steering damper ;)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Top man i got a wee job for ya il'l be in touch involves a top yoke n a steering damper ;)
Ok, im always quietest going into winter if its a job that can wait (like a winter project type thing) but as soon as you know what you need let me know if i can fit it in i will do.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
milling needs to be sommat like this :

Anyone know where to get some very shallow-head bolts that will sit inside the recess like this?

I really dont like button-head bolts - they are always soft & round out.
The std KTM bolts sit a bit too proud ... are going to interfere with things, I think...

·
Premium Member
31,545 Posts
How about DIN 6912-8.8 Low Head Socket Cap Screws?

KTM parts:
0984060163 AH SCREW DIN6912-M 6X16 £0.59
or stronger ones.....
0984060166 AH SCREW DIN6912 M6X16 10.9 £3.88

or most engineering suppliers

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can do that if required, just let me know when.

Ta!
Matt

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about DIN 6912-8.8 Low Head Socket Cap Screws?

KTM parts:
0984060163 AH SCREW DIN6912-M 6X16 £0.59
or stronger ones.....
0984060166 AH SCREW DIN6912 M6X16 10.9 £3.88

or most engineering suppliers
Cheers Kev. Do you know how high the bolt heads are? (is it in the spec? I dont understand all of the bolt specs)

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers Kev. Do you know how high the bolt heads are? (is it in the spec? I dont understand all of the bolt specs)
Cheers bud. Still looking at it.
The other approach might be to attack it from the other side. Remove less thickness... still looking. Measure twice, as they say...

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The remaining dilemma is what to do about the speedo sensor...
Something simple, and not too blue-peter...

While nice and simple, my concern with this setup is that its always going to be in the way when you want to remove the front wheel (you want to twist the fork out so the caliper clears, which twists the speedo inwards...

This looks tricky/fiddly....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts