KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the ideal sprocket sizes on the 950 SE? Standard is 17/45.

I want to be able to ride comfortably on the road but have good off road gearing.

Opinions please!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have run 17/42 ...great for the road, 16/42 brilliant fun for off road and still good on the road.......But!!

16/45 is the most fun i have ever had on a bike !!...just awesome.

my preference now is 17/45...imho the best compromise ( unless you start tanking up the m/ways). It's always a compromise tho. lol.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked and i'm running 17/42.........No wonder I struggle to get the front up!

Think I'll get a 16 front and put that on.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have 16/45 on my bike all the time.

Having said that, I rarely go over 85 mph on the motorway.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I thought my SE was 17/45 but now I'm going to have to go and double check

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
If its the stock gearing, it will be.

Stock ADV gearing is 17:42
2009/2010 Adv went to 16:42

17:42 is correct for earlier years

:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just checked and i'm running 17/42.........No wonder I struggle to get the front up!

Think I'll get a 16 front and put that on.
STRUGGLE TO GET THE FRONT UP????.....please, it's all that unsprung weight you need to worry about rather than what sprockets you're running :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:

Wear the badge, live the badge!

What the Fook does that mean?? Shouldn't it read 'wear the badge, pose with the badge!' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
:wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:

Wear the badge, live the badge!

What the Fook does that mean?? Shouldn't it read 'wear the badge, pose with the badge!' :rolleyes:
....no it means you have to have the tattoo to be in the club :) ....c'mon, don't spend anymore money on that bike, get THE tattoo, money well spent in anyone's book!

·
Registered
637 Posts
What is the ideal sprocket sizes on the 950 SE? Standard is 17/45.

I want to be able to ride comfortably on the road but have good off road gearing.

Opinions please!
I used to run mine with 16/45 and found that quite good gearing for off road, BUT . . . In 3rd at low throttle it would chatter a bit, if it was in 2nd it became a bit too 'peaky'
I went for a 16/47 combo just to see. It's made quite a difference to low throttle pickup, so 3rd is usable without having to slip the clutch so much.
On the road I can still do 90+ I don't like to because the front gets a hell of a weave on. (must up the preload)

IMHO I think the 16/47 combo with a 120 link chain is the best gearing. Mind giving it full throttle does make it a mad\monster:666: Which I like:D

It's an off road bike, so gear it like one. If you want road manners get an SMT:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried it with the 16/42 today. (Changed the front from 17 to 16).
Much better allround. When the chain is worn I'll replace the rear with a 45 and try that.

Can't believe the difference.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts