KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the Tuono is going and I now want a 950/990 SMR after realising that the T is far too mad for me !!! Just need to know a few things . . .

1. Is there a significant between the 950/990 ? I can get a good deal on a "new" 950 SMR 2008 model

2. What are they like on juice? The T is a thirsty fooker . . .

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I bought a a 'new' 07 950SM and don't wish I bought a new or even 2nd hand 990 (I couldn't have justified the cost either though).
IMHO the 950SM looks better than the 990 and the R maybe even better than that.

The cost difference would be crucial for me as I guess the deal is pretty good on the 950R - Judging by what they are selling for, I don't seem to have lost too much in the 2 years I have had the SM.
I know I keep putting fuel in the bike but I'm doing nearly 3 times the mileage I used to on my Triumph because I love riding it (and I'm also doing 2000+ miles on my WR).
I don't have a clue on actual fuel consumption though so not much help there - sorry.
None of my vehicles were bought with economy in mind anyway - I'm not very 'green' I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Bloody hell, do you test ride these bikes or what mate? Ahh well, at least your coming to your senses.

On looks I'd go the 950smr. But not entirely sure how much I would enjoy the smaller tank.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Forgot that it was a smaller tank on the R (is it 3 litres less?).

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Okay, the Tuono is going and I now want a 950/990 SMR after realising that the T is far too mad for me !!! Just need to know a few things . . .

1. Is there a significant between the 950/990 ? I can get a good deal on a "new" 950 SMR 2008 model

2. What are they like on juice? The T is a thirsty fooker . . .
the 950 uses almost as much as the tuono

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bloody hell, do you test ride these bikes or what mate? Ahh well, at least your coming to your senses.

On looks I'd go the 950smr. But not entirely sure how much I would enjoy the smaller tank.
My missus thinks I have a shady business going dealing bikes, it would be running at a significant loss if I was !!!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts

. . .
For fook sake! Just buy a C90 and learn to ride, then come back and buy a really bike....:D:p:p:p

·
Registered
446 Posts
True.....if you have no experience then anything will be a lesson.

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can ride girls, I can ride, it's just that I can't stop doing 150mph+, I need to calm down, the only thing that will do this is buying a bike that limits my capacity . . . .capiche ?

·
Registered
446 Posts
You see, what comes from experiance is the knowledge that you dont need to do 150mph...anyone can do 150mph on a road its fooking easy. Riding is about learning how to handle a bike, you couldnt handle a Tuono becuase it felt wrong on corners, it can go faster round corners than you will ever know. You need to bulid up to the superbikes, experience is everything!!

By thew way i was a motorcycle instructor for 5 years and an advanced instructor also (sorry to bore you with that but lots of newbies talk bollocks)

Once you can handle a bike you will find slow bikes are more fun than fast bikes.

Like my signature says: its more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't get me wrong it's an amazing bike, but I need something a little less nuts, I've had a 690 Duke which was the pefect riding style but not enough power, hemnce the decision to get a 950sm.

It's just too easy to rack up the speed on it . . .the 96bhp from the 950sm will be more than enough methinks

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You see, what comes from experiance is the knowledge that you dont need to do 150mph...anyone can do 150mph on a road its fooking easy. Riding is about learning how to handle a bike, you couldnt handle a Tuono becuase it felt wrong on corners, it can go faster round corners than you will ever know. You need to bulid up to the superbikes, experience is everything!!

By thew way i was a motorcycle instructor for 5 years and an advanced instructor also (sorry to bore you with that but lots of newbies talk bollocks)

Once you can handle a bike you will find slow bikes are more fun than fast bikes.

Like my signature says: its more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow
I hear ya', I find that the even more upright SM style and ride allows you to ride a lot more slowly and enjoyably (is that a word) ???

·
Registered
446 Posts
It can be a word if you want it to be... You need to go out on a ride (your favourite road) and ride it using no brakes at all, just engine power/braking and timing your gear changes.

Then ride it back again the same way, when you think you can ride roads smoothly then try more speed and more roads.

Its all about reading the road ahead to keep you smooth. On a race track you brake hard and accelerate hard but on the roads with white lines/potholes and manhole covers its about smoothness.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts