KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...for my 950.
I believe there are DIY alternatives to the ugly (and/or) expensive ones on sale.
My plans are for a tank that mimics the aspect of ns OEM fairing but slightly bigger in order to fit as much fuel as possible in the space left free by the departed ns exhaust can.I'll post more details soon

I only use soft luggage but I'm at this point in fabrication when a potential hard luggage choice in the future may not be possible if I can't check the clearance with OEM racks. Because I can't do this by looking at pictures (tried that) and to buy one its out of the question (mucho £) the only other way ...

...It's someone willing to lend me his near-side rack for a week or so?

I'll pay for shipping both ways and something extra for the trouble
Please PM

05.06 Update

Thank you all for your prompt answer. In the end, l8ktm was kind enough to meet me and now I have a luggage rack! Thanks John

Now I believe I promise you, the reader, more details but first an explanation...

For years now, missus and I are saving for a RTW trip and we are still far, far away from realizing this old dream. Aggressive saving plans as ours leave no room for other hobbys, nights out, new gadgets, holidays abroad etc.
I even stayed without a bike to save money, thinking I'll manage without until we finally leave. I was so wrong!
2 years later I was riding on my way back when I bought the 950; nice little 200miles at 2deg C on M62 snowing day in february... when I realize how much I missed the iron lady.
I love this bike. Since the beginning it felt like my search is over. This is the last bike I'll ever buy.
We are years away from leaving but I can't help myself from preparing the bike for the trip.
My best ever mileage was 52mpg (two up, luggage, motorway only) so top of the list is extending fuel range. For the past year I've searched every few months and the list has stayed the same:

Aqualine Safari adventure spec fuel tank aqualine safari ktm 950 990lc8 40l 1400£ +p&p UK

Omega Carbon KTM 990 Carbon Fibre Extras | 950£ + p£p from South Africa

Neduro's ADV Tank ADV tank - Brands 320£ +p&p UK

AfricanQueens https://ssl.kundenserver.de/s742704...nid=154fb7cc3c44571/shopdata/index.shopscript 1050euros +p&p Germany

And newer Pete640 Replica 950 Rallye Tanks - ADVrider 1300£(?) +p&p Australia

Without going into too much detail, the bottom line is all are to expensive! Well, for a person with my spending habits anyway.

Wishes, low fonds and lots of spare time can make a DIY-er out of a couch potato. So here I am, spending the past 6 months looking into ways to build my own tanks, buying the extra tools, the parts I need and asking the good people on this forum for help.
In the following days I'll post details about the build and resources I've decided to use after extensive research, in the hope more will see its not hard to put your mind and time to create something just as you like it, instead of buying it.

Stay tuned

·
Premium Member
31,505 Posts
I will loan you a left side rack. Need a deposit, though ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
...for my 950.
I believe there are DIY alternatives to the ugly (and/or) expensive ones on sale.
My plans are for a tank that mimics the aspect of ns OEM fairing but slightly bigger in order to fit as much fuel as possible in the space left free by the departed ns exhaust can.I'll post more details soon

I only use soft luggage but I'm at this point in fabrication when a potential hard luggage choice in the future may not be possible if I can't check the clearance with OEM racks. Because I can't do this by looking at pictures (tried that) and to buy one its out of the question (mucho £) the only other way ...

...It's someone willing to lend me his near-side rack for a week or so?

I'll pay for shipping both ways and something extra for the trouble
Please PM

Thanks
looking forward to the outcome :) will you be making them to order?

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Likewise looking forward to the outcome. I'm not quite sure of the Neduro tanks in order to get one, but would love a more elegant, streamlined, (smaller?) solution for some more gas....
Either that or I'm going to make a classy sewerage-pipe tool tube for the space!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First post updated

looking forward to the outcome :) will you be making them to order?
I'm only making this because I can't afford and in most cases I don't like what's out there. In the process I hope to show its not that hard or expensive to make something like this.
I understand not everyone has the time or inclination to embark in something like this but after all maybe... maybe someone will do some great products at fair prices.
That's my main goal and I don't dare dreaming I can make money out of this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
First post updated

I'm only making this because I can't afford and in most cases I don't like what's out there. In the process I hope to show its not that hard or expensive to make something like this.
I understand not everyone has the time or inclination to embark in something like this but after all maybe... maybe someone will do some great products at fair prices.
That's my main goal and I don't dare dreaming I can make money out of this.
I may be up for one of these should you decide to sell them at a later date - it can't do any harm to your RTW budget if you can sell some and it may help with mine. One question, what is the weight balance between an exhaust on one side and (maybe) 8 litres of fuel on the other and, more importantly, have you /will you test any weight difference out riding on and off tarmac before making the actual tank? I am thinking of the balance of the bike when fully loaded for a RTW trip with the possible weight difference on each side at the rear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may be up for one of these should you decide to sell them at a later date - it can't do any harm to your RTW budget if you can sell some and it may help with mine.
For what I've said before no one can tell if I'll realize my goals. Until then the story of my success or failure will be here for all to see.

One question, what is the weight balance between an exhaust on one side and (maybe) 8 litres of fuel on the other and, more importantly, have you /will you test any weight difference out riding on and off tarmac before making the actual tank? I am thinking of the balance of the bike when fully loaded for a RTW trip with the possible weight difference on each side at the rear.
I've thought about that. 8 litres of fuel are heavier than one acra but it can be resolved by shifting heavier staff in the luggage to the other side or, in the case of GPR exhaust, another slightly smaller tank

Sneak peak

It takes for ever to write how I got here...

·
Registered
57 Posts
looks good. I have seen people do some good home brew tanks for the 950s. I am considering having a go at some front tanks for my 690. I have made a few CF parts for it already so working up to the tanks project!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks good. I have seen people do some good home brew tanks for the 950s. I am considering having a go at some front tanks for my 690. I have made a few CF parts for it already so working up to the tanks project!
If you've done it before then you know its worth doing instead of buying. Start making and post your story:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How?

Hope you found in my first post the answer to "why?".
I could let my spirit soar and write this as a novel. I don't have the time and inclination for that so bulet points and badly spelled explanations it is then :p

Next its "how?"
Since the beginning I decided I'll have to make it:

- light
- cheap
- close to the shape and size of OEM fairing
- with a flush filler cap
- work with OEM hard luggage rack and seat lock
- from composites (also considered aluminum and plastic but cross them off the list do to weight, esthetics's and tooling issues )
- without compromises

Two months of frustrating searches ,frustrating because at times it felt like I'm looking for state secrets; the only place you can get any decent info its from other people try and error stories on forums (its then when I decided to add my try to theirs) and from Easy Composites ( more on that later) ,so after two months I knew that:

- autoclave cured prepreg( resin pre-impregnated carbon fiber) its better then vacuum infusion, which its better than wet lay
- epoxy is better than polyester resin, but it costs 4 times as much, then again it doesn't stinks...
- carbon fiber cost 3-4 times more than fiber glass
- kevlar costs more than carbon fiber
- prepreg carbon fiber its twice as much as regular cf
- buying in bulk can save up to 40%

- health wise new studies show carbon fibers can create asbestos like lesions on mice lungs. In fact any fiber that's inert, small enough to make it to the lungs, and has a length-to-thickness ratio of seven or more (like glass wool ) could be capable of causing similar problems.The principal hazards of carbon-fiber handling are mechanical irritation and abrasion similar to that of glass fibers. Skin rashes are common and reportedly more severe than from glass fibers. Carbon fibers commonly in use are also greater than six micrometers in diameter( allot bigger when impregnate with resin), making them unlikely to be respirable.
HSE has practically no occupational exposure limits for nanomaterials. Their advice is to treat them as hard wood dust.:frown:

Making no compromises its important for me and after what felt like years I've decided to go with vacuum infusion carbon fiber/kevlar. That because at 30% resin intake,how clean its the making, how the finish part looks like and how strong is, vac infusion is very close to the prohibitive autoclave cured prepreg, and because ,for what it cost more, carbon fiber its definitely more suited than fiber glass for what I have in mind.

When it comes to materials, next to Ebay two places are the cheapest(in average by % 25) in UK Easycomposites Carbon Fibre Cloth, Epoxy Resin, Kevlar, Diolen, Equipment and Supplies for Advanced Composites - Easy Composites & EastCoast Buy fibreglass supplies online UK - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies . And as luck has it, EasyComposites are at one hour drive from my home. I went there and spoken with the owner, very helpful he answer all my questions and got me a great deal.:D I'm not affiliated, just really impress with their willingness to share information. Unlike others they have realized the simple concept that you can sell more if you teach people what they can do with whatever you are selling.
If you are starting to be interested in this subject then check the forum Talk Composites - The Forum for Advanced Composites and videos easycompositestv - YouTube . Here How To Do Perfect Vacuum Resin Infusion of a Carbon Fibre (Fiber) Part - Basic Tutorial - YouTube you can see what I'm on about regarding vacuum infusion

The cost of the vacuum pump and the fact that I've got resins in multiples of five liters to save £, results in a scary number at the bottom of the tools and material list. The good news is any left overs and the pump, which is the same sold by both EasyC and EastC and featured in a Big Bang Theory episode, can be easily sold after all my projects are done. And I have allot in mind!:666:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What?

Once I got all the tools I had to use them on something small first. No... that's not small!:mad: I meant this

Buying GPR was the smart choice after I failed to gun gum the y piece for the third time. Full ss exhaust and spent less cash than the cost of a new y piece!:cool: All I had to do was sell the acras and get the cheapest GPR I can haggle. I've told you I'm on a budget!;)
Made the bracket out of 6 layers of cf (under vacuum just 1.2mm thick) and 3mm Soric core.It cost cca £7 and 2 hours including installing. Despite fixing bolt having 110celsius(according to a cheap non-contact thermometer) the resin used ,standard temp infusion from EasyC, turn out to be OK even in 27celcius weather we had two weeks ago. At this point I got really impressed with the infusion process. I'm not going in to "How To" details because EasyC videos show it better than I could ever do.
You can see in the picture she, with size 3.5 shoes, still manage to leave a burn mark. To stop that from happening I'll have to cut her heel off. That or to redesign that protection and, while I'm at it, use only cf instead of core material for even greater strength. O... and maybe hight temp resin!

Next ,full of courage, tried something more complicated.

Having problems with screen buffering, and don't we all!? again unhappy with what's on the market, this was my next one . Looking at the OEM screen shape this solution came easy: 7mm air ducts to redirect some air from the headlight, behind the screen. Modelling clay and 15h of hard work resulted in this shape

Prepared to be molded

Not sure if this shape is better than OEM, I tried using as little materials as possible and... that was a mistake.:redface: Not been strong enough, the mold cracked during demolding and, because I was afraid the screen will get ruined if I seal it,the clay got destroyed during demolding. :censored:
With no choice but to try to fix it, it took 10 more hours of mostly sanding the repaired cracks back to a mirror finish.
First part I did devaccum overnight and resin dropped to the bottom of the mold. :frown:The screen is to ugly to show you but I've cut it two inches shorter than OEM and try it anyway.
Result? 2inch meant more air heating my helmet and making it worse than OEM.

After so much work I wasn't ready to give up so I fix the mold better and tried again. Used two layers of 200g cf , 3mm Soric core strips for reinforcement and 350grams inf. resin. The cost of the bagging materials is cca £5 for a 0.25sqm part.
This time I've left it couple of hours under vacuum before infusing. It had no leeks until soon after infusion, when it started losing 10% vacuum every couple of minutes. :hmh: I then spent 2h trying to speed up the exothermic reaction with a hairdryer. The finishing part was still bad looking and after some clear coat spraying, this is it:

Result? I know a perfectly executed part can be so I'm not please with how this one looks like. Shape wise is hard to tell because I'm yet to test together with OEM on the same day and road. So far, definitely an improvement but still far from ideal. Is it to much to ask the silence you get when standing up at 60mph?
After the fuel tank its done, maybe I'll make one more with bigger vents.:rolleyes:

This first lesson I learn it the hard way: Do not skimp on materials!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another quick question: will the materials you have chosen pass whatever EU laws apply to pertol tanks (I don't know anything about them but I assume there are a few :burnout: )?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've already looked it to this and here is what I found:

Newly produced motorcycles must comply with some European Directive from 2002. Tanks made from anything other than metal are to be tested for strength, resistance to fuel and fire,permeability and others I can't remember.
But I'm not making new bikes so that doesn't concern me.

Amateur build motorcycles must meet single vehicle approval by VCA.
It costs £85 and they will check if filler cap and tanks, made of any material, doesn't leak, it's secure and generally fit for purpose. One may need that if the bike is amateur built, rebuilt or radically altered. I will ask VOSA if this applies to me.

In the meantime I've contacted my insurer and they said they are ok as long as it passes MOT.
During MOT inspection the tank and all visible hoses and components are checked. It will only fail for leaking or insecure system. :cool:

FYI none of the fuel tanks mentioned in my previous posts have any type of EU approval

And before anyone asks, I've been told that the epoxy resin I have has been used for years without any issues on fuel tanks by modeling enthusiasts. Never the less, the tank will be coated with the only epoxy compatible sealant made by Fuel Tank Seal

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've already looked it to this and here is what I found:

Newly produced motorcycles must comply with some European Directive from 2002. Tanks made from anything other than metal are to be tested for strength, resistance to fuel and fire,permeability and others I can't remember.
But I'm not making new bikes so that doesn't concern me.

Amateur build motorcycles must meet single vehicle approval by VCA.
It costs £85 and they will check if filler cap and tanks, made of any material, doesn't leak, it's secure and generally fit for purpose. One may need that if the bike is amateur built, rebuilt or radically altered. I will ask VOSA if this applies to me.

In the meantime I've contacted my insurer and they said they are ok as long as it passes MOT.
During MOT inspection the tank and all visible hoses and components are checked. It will only fail for leaking or insecure system. :cool:

FYI none of the fuel tanks mentioned in my previous posts have any type of EU approval

And before anyone asks, I've been told that the epoxy resin I have has been used for years without any issues on fuel tanks by modeling enthusiasts. Never the less, the tank will be coated with the only epoxy compatible sealant made by Fuel Tank Seal
Its looking like an excellent project - make it, sell it and make your other adventure happen. In many ways, the tank is an adventure in its own right. When its ready, I'll buy one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First of all thank you all for the encuragements and interest shown here and in PMs. This alone stops me from procrastinating... most of the time.
Now I need your help again.
Can someone measure the distance between the H&B panniers (on the bike) and the OEM fairing on the top left corner of the rack nearside. From the pictures looks like is really close but I need to know exactly how much.
Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
13mm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts