KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was chatting with a few of the lads at Bike Park Wales the other night and several were of the old Supermoto crew and knew all of the old lads who posted and rode here.
We were wondering why with road surfaces the condition they are, Policing being harsh and loads of traffic, why are Supermotos not coming back in popularity? Even things like the 690/701 etc.

·
Administrator
8,487 Posts
They are a focused bike in a niche market and expensive too. All the points you mentions are true and that's why adventure bikes have become so popular.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would say that the reasons stated (roads & rozzers) have also helped to boost sales of naked and retro/classic 'standard' motorcycles, maybe even cruisers.
The average rider is getting older and less likely to want to put up with some bikes.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I moved from fast bikes (ZZR1400) to adventure bikes for a variety of reasons, doing more long trips abroad was one, but the ZZR was OK at that, but the Adventure bikes gave me more leg room and made the lesser travelled back roads in the mountains more fun.

But back home it was so much better, fast bikes need fast, flowing, smooth roads with little traffic, very few of them near me and over the years the traffic has increased massively and road quality deteriorated in equal measure, add in speeding risks of owning a 200mph motorcycle (that feels slow at anything below 100mph) and its not much fun.

Unclassified roads near me carry very little traffic, and I have some nice scenery to cruise through, which is way more enjoyable on an Adventure bike.

A small SM style bike would be OK for short blasts into the country, had a 690 as a loan bike last year and it was brilliant, but would not be much cop for longer rides and hopeless for touring, on my dream garage list for when I win the Euro-Millions and buy a chateau in the foothills of the French Alps.

What I really want is a 1290 SMT, take the 1290 Adventure, fit some top quality suspension and slot in a 17" front wheel, remove the cornering lights, put some 990SM style exhausts on it and job done ;-)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Yeah - theyll never be popular...depends on your lifestyle i suppose....supermoto's are short range...so if youre an inner city hoodie - yeah - great....however flying around the open roads in Wales i can only thing would be tedious at best....mine literally gets used for a 10 mile trip to work every other month or so....

·
Administrator
8,487 Posts
The other issue with supermotos is that most people only change the wheels which makes for a poor riding experience. Without suspension work an EXC/F is shit as a supermoto.

Reactions: boredus

·
Registered
472 Posts
added to this:
-SuMo's have high seats, not everyone has long inner leg length.
-SuMo's have nil wind protection (general public is getting lazy and demand so sort of comfort as a standard).
-SuMo's are as a rule-of-thumb single cylinder bikes (SVX not included). not at the nature of singles: vibrations, not as smooth as, high rpms for highway travel etc. its a niche for a select group riders.

personally I think if they make SuMo's with electric motor and find a way to still keep them agile with the extra battery weight, its a way forward to gain public appeal. make it lower seating, like the Duke 4th gen, and you also get the smaller peoples' interest. ideally, you'll be looking at an electric Duke 125/200/390/690, maybe even 790.

on the other hand: make a single loads more mechanically reliable (read: big end and valve train) like using plain bearings for the big end (i.e. Duke 390) it will have a very long lifespan, but with its limitations to oil starvation if tipped over and engine keeps running and/or long wheelies...

I still like a SuMo, like my Duke 620, but it still needs a longer fuel range and more fool-proof big end. that's why I got the SMT900: it ticks all the boxes with (almost) the agility of the 620...

but then again: SMT1190 with Adv fuel range would be the bike for me.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, what has already been said. I have played the SM route in a few forms.
1. Converted 250 2 Stroke Enduro bike. For the first 2 rides round the housing estate I thought it was a winner. Then I used it to commute 7 miles to work. Awful engine manors for road riding / being stuck in traffic. Not having the suspension reworked was a big mistake. The handling was terrible.
2. Sold converted bike and bought KTM Duke 640. Converted front end headlight to SM light and fender. Fuel range was crap, fitted long range LC4 tank. Seat was bloody uncomfortable, fitted power parts gel seat. Did a few long runs with it, wind blast was shit. Big single engine vibes just ruined it. half an hour in, feet and hands numb. So back to blatting round the back roads and staying local.
3. Most bikers want one cause they are an absolute hoot to dart about on like a loon, but hopelessly impractical and uncomfortable. ride it like that and the police will notice you.
4. Now lets get started on these stunt rider crews.....SM look is now smeared with being an antisocial / gang / crim riding round on stolen bikes. repeat the above that the police will notice you

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What Police ? There's no Police... there's cameras of course, but Police... Mmmmm not so sure they're real any more.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Bought 690 because it's well suited to North Wales. Swiss army knife. Good on road, or mild offroad. And I can have a blast at 60, whereas it felt a bit pedestrian on the Ducati.
Is fucking high though. Taller than the 640 ffs. With a 29" leg, it's like a 6yr old climbing onto his Dads Mountain bike at times. :D

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I really wish I still had my 450. But then again I regret selling almost all my old bikes - if only we had bigger garages in uk !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts