KTM Owners Forum banner

Indicator Issue

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Rogerbaldwin234@sky.com 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a 2009 RC8R. Recently, the indicators have started to play dead (at light and on dash) for the first 5-10 minutes after the bike has started, and then slowly they come on, first with solid indicators at lights, then after a minute or two they start to flash correctly on both the dash and the lights.

Thereafter, they work fine. Any clues as to what might be causing the slow start?

Battery provides enough current, as does alternator. Is it an earth issue? We are stumped.

Any ideas appreciated.

#2 ·
could be a ground issue, could be a few other things.

what indicators are they? stock or aftermarket?

i would aim at maybe trying to wire up a new indicator, to test them. at least you could rule out an indicator issue, and focus on the wiring side/power delivery. but it could be a relay issue, fuse or maybe the voltage regulator.

#5 ·
relays are under the seat next to the fuses, although being so low voltage i don't think those will be used for the indicators but check the fuses whilst you're there.

edit: just seen your double post, missed the first one

if you do have a spare indicator to wire up, that will help eliminate the indicators being faulty. next would be chasing the wiring to find a fault, it could be a bad earth.

#12 ·
Problem found: after testing every connection and wire in the harness that could relate to indicators or have any effect on earthing, KTM have narrowed it to the relay in teh new dash I had put in 2 months ago. THey replaced the dash under warranty and all seems fine (for now). Thanks for all your input (and obvious jokes).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.