KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not yet ridden this bike. All has been working prior to today. I came to try the indicators, left side both front and rear are working correctly. The front right does not work at all and the right rear only works if I indicate left and then immediately indicate right.

if I try indicating right first without switching from a left indicate. The right rear just stays on and again the front right does not come on at all .

The only work I’ve done on the bike is the valve clearances checks.

help !! Also is there any kind of relay or fuse for them that might be causing this and if so where do I find them ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you got switch or contact cleaner? A quick spray in the indicator switch might help.

I've sorted a few out over the years with nothing more than that.

Normally it's water that gets in and a film of dirt and corrosion builds up, switch cleaner blasted in through a thin straw and a few flicks left/right.

I think as these are LED no mechanical relay as such, but a bad earth is something else to check.

These are standard indicators and not aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There is no Flasher Relay the Indicator System is built into the Dash so I would advise not to use aftermarket Lamps :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have any contact cleaner. But I do know that the bike has been in my garage and under a cover since November so it’s definitely not seen any water since I’ve had the bike.

I have been working on my bike in that time doing the valve clearances checks and since putting it all back together everything worked spot on until today.

when you say the switch are you referring to the thumb switch, and do I just blast the contact cleaner straight under the switch ?

The front mirror indicator is standard and the rear ones don’t look standard but since owning the bike they have worked fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. I have tried swapping the rear indicator plugs over and it causes the opposite to happen to the rear indicators. The front right mirror indicator still does nothing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no Flasher Relay the Indicator System is built into the Dash so I would advise not to use aftermarket Lamps :eek:

If the issue was the dash would it cause an issue with just one indicator ?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I was just answering your question if there was a Flasher Relay but it sounds like a connection fault on the front lamp try removing the mirror, connector is a white 2 pin and I think its under the screen and alloy bracket and than U should be able to check connection and voltage which is around 8 volts :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just answering your question if there was a Flasher Relay but it sounds like a connection fault on the front lamp try removing the mirror, connector is a white 2 pin and I think its under the screen and alloy bracket and than U should be able to check connection and voltage which is around 8 volts :)
I’ve been searching through the workshop manual and I can’t find anything g on the indicator fitment/removal. I’ll give that ago. Thanks for your answers. I’ll keep you updated if I find the solution.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more question. Do the front indicators have fuses ? If so where are they ?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
No.1 10amp fuse in fuse box under the seat Ignition,combination instrument,immobilizer and optional alarm system I think its that one if dash works the fuse will be ok would not be a blown fuse anyway if it was U would have no indicators working;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Must be localised to front end of bike. The two cables should be accessible by taking off the top fairing. You are looking for connectors that look like the photo attached. One has a green tag - that's the right indicator the other similar one has a red tag. Press clip with finger nail or small screwdriver to pull gently apart and swop them over. This should identify either a switch or LED connection problem in the mirror unit itself. You NEED switch cleaner. Indicator assembly is two screws from the back. Big squirt up should resolve your problem...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must be localised to front end of bike. The two cables should be accessible by taking off the top fairing. You are looking for connectors that look like the photo attached. One has a green tag - that's the right indicator the other similar one has a red tag. Press clip with finger nail or small screwdriver to pull gently apart and swop them over. This should identify either a switch or LED connection problem in the mirror unit itself. You NEED switch cleaner. Indicator assembly is two screws from the back. Big squirt up should resolve your problem...
Thanks. You mentioned a photo. I can’t see one. Do you have photos of which fairing I need to take off ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure as I put aftermarket indicators on mine. Start with top and trace back from mirror. Rich learning experience! TBH it is most likely your switch so start there with the switch cleaner. It will be the switch contacts blue and corroded not passing current. If not then the fault may lie with the LED connection itself or fault LED in the mirror housing. Fun and games...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure as I put aftermarket indicators on mine. Start with top and trace back from mirror. Rich learning experience! TBH it is most likely your switch so start there with the switch cleaner. It will be the switch contacts blue and corroded not passing current. If not then the fault may lie with the LED connection itself or fault LED in the mirror housing. Fun and games...
Thanks I appreciate it. I’ll give it ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update. I’ve had the indicators off on both sides swapped them over and had the same issue on the same side as before. I’m going to try and get hold of some contact cleaner and try cleaning the switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update. I’ve had the indicators off on both sides swapped them over and had the same issue on the same side as before. I’m going to try and get hold of some contact cleaner and try cleaning the switch.
That tells you power is not getting to that side. If it is not the switch then you will need to trace the wiring back from the indicator unit in the mirror to see if you have a break or a trapped wire somewhere. That is pretty unlikely unless you have had the panels off?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had the panels off but not that high up. I’ve had all the rear panels, tank and the front side and lower panels off when I did the valve clearances and come to think of it I didn’t check the indicators once it was all back together as that wasn’t something I had been working on. Ill try the contact cleaner and then it looks like I’m stripping all the panels off to check for any wiring issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Post update.

Having switched the front indicators over, the left indicator doesn’t work when plugged in on the right and the right indicator doesn’t work when plugged in on the left ???? Yet when I plug the left indicator into the left side that works as normal.
I’ve tried the contact cleaner on the switch and that’s not worked either.

Does anyone know if the the front left and right Indicators can be swapped over and should they still work if you do so ?

The only thing is that I can think of now is it’s the front right indicator led’s that are broke. Even though there is no evidence of this, no burn marks etc. It’s just odd that the left indicator doesn’t work when plugged into the right side but is perfectly normal when plugged in on the left.

any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get a multimeter. LEDs have to be connected the right way, if the connectors are reversed polarity then they are not interchangeable.

A multimeter will let you confirm which is positive and negative. It will also allow you to trace bad earths, confirm voltages are in spec, test diodes, switches etc.

£10 delivered off Ebay, they're invaluable aids for bikes, cars and house electrics.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts