KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to road register an EXC 125 (never been registered before).
I've done the NOVA, daytime MOT and now trying to insure it!
Obviously this will be done from the bikes VIN number.
I've just had a quote of £660 which i think is crazy but I need a certificate of insurance before i can send off to the DVLA for registration.
Really annoyed that I'm trying to do the right thing by making it road legal.
Can anyone point me in the way of a decent insurance company??

Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Are you quite young (below 20)?
If so that might be why, and it's not going to get much better once registered.
You ask someone who's older to insure it for you now, just to get the registration, then cancel the policy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use this company for enduro/trials insurance and they also helped me out when I registered a bike on the VIN plate. You don't get a lot of cover but they are very helpful.
MSM insurance

·
Premium Member
10,136 Posts
How much?? Do you live in beruit?

All insurance companies are *, but the two above are the two best options.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You don’t need insurance to register a bike any more. Registered a YZ250 last and 100% didn’t need to have insurance, trust me and try it......

·
Registered
112 Posts
Was that an offroad vehicle registration without needing an Mot or did you immediately Sorn it. It's a good point though as DVLA are advising long delays at the moment where you'd have insurance but no V5 and unable to ride the bike.

·
Premium Member
10,136 Posts
For some reason, DVLA are responding superquick to old fashioned written correspondance (you know, the sort that you put in an envelope with a stamp on it)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Don't know what it's like in the UK, but over here you have to shop around to find out which company likes which particular piece of kit you own. It's a pain, but saves a fortune.

Each of this household's bikes, cars, house, etc are with different companies because each seems to have a totally different view on the risk involved with each.

Makes no sense to me. I'd have thought they'd use the same risk data, but no. The variation in price between companies for an 1190 adv, 500 exc, and teen's mopeds is huge.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes I sorned it as soon as I got the registration paperwork back as you have to pay for a full year’s road tax when you register it

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You don’t need insurance to register a bike any more. Registered a YZ250 last and 100% didn’t need to have insurance, trust me and try it......
Hi Mate, any chance you can pm me on how to register a bike now? Done a
ktm 520 many moons ago but its all changed and i want to register my sons SXF 250 2012, thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts