KTM Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Introducing KTMforum Bike of the Month! April ROTM Submission Thread

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MCAdmin 
#1 ·
Welcome to the KTM of the Month Competition!

Please follow all instructions posted below:
  1. You must add 3 Photos; no more, no less. No collages. Pictures must be of the current state of your bike. Avoid having any people in your images.
  2. List any/all "legal" modifications to your bike, if you have done any.*
  3. You must currently own the bike being entered.
  4. Include a short description of your favorite aspect of your bike, or your favorite memory or ride taken with your bike.*
  5. Remember, please post your entries and pictures in this thread.
  6. If you have won in a previous month, you can no longer enter for the rest of the year. However, if you have a second bike that meets the above criteria, you can enter that.
* These are optional but encouraged

Votes for the month’s winner will be tallied by the number of “Likes” your post has on the last day of the month. The winner at the end of the month will win a free 1 Year Premium Membership for the forum and a custom flair under their username. If the winner is already a premium member, their subscription will be extended an additional year.

Winners will be featured on the sites gallery, found here.

Good luck!

-Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
The best aspect of the bike was on a recent trip to Iceland . We had to ride 250 miles of graded roads and I only got one puncture in the Pirelli GT Angels .I was very impressed with how it coped with the off road aspect and could still keep up pace with my mate on his Triumph Tiger . I really like the electronic adjustable suspension , helps a great deal when the going gets a bit off road.The bike has now done 16,000 miles plus and has only needed standard servicing items.

#3 · (Edited)
I can't believe my luck!!! I'd fully intended to buy a brand new, old stock, pre-registered 2020 model when KTM had the offer on earlier in the year (when they were £13,999) but my local dealer didn't let me know they were running out (despite having registered my interest a few weeks before) and I was waiting for the end of lock down for a test ride. Man, was I fuming?!!

Unbelievably, I found this one privately with £2K of bits on it and only 2800 miles since Sep '20 (when it was new). Got it for £13,975. The only down side was that I couldn't p/x my '15 1290 Super Adv so I've now got to sell it quickly.

Mods: Akra end can, smoked black screen, Evotech radiator guard (black), Powerparts heated seat (rider and pillion), Powerparts hard panniers too (and unused PP inner bags, with carrying straps still in their wrappers). Got all the original parts too. One careful 62 year old, really genuine, previous owner who bought a GS instead. He'd had loads of interest but they all needed p/x so he had to decline their offers.

Favourite aspect: the sports bike handling - it feel like I can turn it just by thinking. Very similar to an S1000RR in feel, but with much more comfort and grunt. Coming from a previous LC8, I knew it would be rapid, but the lighter weight and extra 15bhp make it an absolute rocket. And the sound from that Akra...

#4 · (Edited)
2009 RC8R

Bought in 2017, my first KTM and first v-twin, though I'd ridden a couple before.

Originally registered new in Japan, it was imported into the UK by its previous owner in 2013

Highlights include:
Akrapovic evo1 exhaust
Powerparts slipper clutch (Suter)
Powerparts rearsets, c/f heel guards
Powerparts tail tidy & indicators
Powerparts brake & clutch levers
Powerparts carbon rear mudguard (front mudguard is carbon as standard on the original R)
Powerparts axle sliders
Carbon chain guard
Translogic QS
Sato shift holder
Carbon front sprocket cover & tank sliders
LED headlight conversion
Carbon seat panels
Black belly pan fairings (instead of white)
Sato race hooks
Slipscreens headlight guard (clear)
Shido Lithium battery
K&N air filter
SAS blanked off & removed.
Scottoiler
Recovered standard seat
Cpc metal fuel hose coupling
GB Racing engine covers
R&G bar ends
Roadlok (front disc lock)
Twin-spark model upper airbox/crankcase breather
Telferizer RAM Mount, GPS power on ACC2

It's my only bike and I do all my own work on it bar changing tyres and brake fluid; a mate in the trade does those for beer vouchers.

Shortly after buying it I went to do the valve clearances only to discover premature wear to the camshaft lobes. Both intake cams were worn & the exh. cams were starting to show signs of wear. Suspected cam oil jet partial blockages. I replaced all 4 camshafts as a precaution. That was a baptism of fire in terms of working on the bike, but I got it all done.

Had it dyno'd with ecu flash at BSD last summer. 156bhp & 89torques

The engine is amazing, the sound is incredible and the chassis and suspension are in another league.

It's extremely comfortable for a sportsbike which is handy as my favourite part of biking is getting away with the lads; last year despite covid we did a 1200 miles 4 day trip to Scotland. It never rained once!

#5 ·
Honda cr500/ktm 450 chassis

chassis spec:
Ohlins forks and shock
SXS brembo front caliper
NK anti vibration handle bars.
custom mounts, bushes.... looks like its meant to be there!

engine:
Honda cr500. 2mm oversize (520cc)
trued crankshaft
modified port timing
reshaped cylinder head with decompression valve.
magura hydraulic clutch conversion
rekluse radius CX clutch
MSV billet exhaust manifold
DEP front pipe with scalvini silencer
keihin airstriker 39mm oval bored carburettor
STIC fitted to carburettor (of course!)

loads of other stuff I cant remember. it's been a labour of love with countless hours spent to make it as usable as a stock bike.

couple of stand out memories....

my nephew giving it billy big bollox saying he could ride it . came back 2 minutes later white as a sheet! 'it tried to chuck me off in 5th gear's

my favourite memory is first outing at caistor thorseway. I took my husqvarna 300 and the 500. first session I'd beaten my best lap time on the husqvarna by 5 seconds.

it was a nice feeling beating husqvarnas finest with something I nailed together in my shed

Attachments

#6 ·
The little 2012 Duke 200 going places (Lao P.D.R.)
Pirelli MT60's
PowerTRONIC V3 piggyback
Open airbox lid (OEM) with DNA air-filter
Trail-Tech OTT temperature gauge.
EBC clutch plates and 15% stronger springs
EBC HH sintered pads f&r

First pic @ the Phou Asa mountain (60km south of Pakse town.
Second pic @ southern Laos - Cambodia border crossing.
Third pic @ a dust track near Nong Kiaw northern Laos.

#8 ·
09 EXC 450 SixDays or how I like to call it, "The orange cow"
Haven't done much to it, only some elastomers and a TrailTech magneto.
Great bike, good memories, I take it everywhere and she never dissapoints me.
Three photos with the cow

And here, three photos from last ride.

I did the display swap myself, as I wanted to keep my hours and my odo, I bought a broken speedo with a good display and glass, desoldered the display and solder it to my mainboard, not so hard but a little time consuming, as I didn't have the tools to do it faster, I was stuck with a cheap soldering iron, but still did the job tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.