KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a newGPS and like the look of the Memory Map 2800. has anyone used one? And does it come with mem map software for the pc.

I used to have the Satmap Gps. Great bit of kit, but you had to go and get the memory map software, if I was to upload routes from other mem map users.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi Peter,

I bought one but haven't used it yet as someone bought my bike...:rolleyes: my wife has claimed it as her own for 'walking' (and trail riding ;))

The unit itself is pretty good easy to use and touchscreen, it feels very robust and is waterproof. the screen is nice and bright and easy to see. I believe you can get a mounting kit but I think they are aimed at pushbikes :confused:

There are 2 versions of it....One comes with maps of British National parks for £250 off the memory map website and the other comes with the whole of GB (including the Isle of man) for £295 which is a much better deal as the map discs are a fortune...:eek:

Yes it does come with the software for the PC so you can plan routes at home and then downloadthem to the GPS, it is a bit complicated to do but TBH I haven't played with it yet so it may be easier than I remember...:redface:

Best thing is to go to the shop and have a play with one....Only thing I didnt like is that the 'pencil' thing you use to tap the screen is on a lanyard rather than fitting into a slot on the unit, but that is a very minor niggle.

Hope that helps, Regards, Dave.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes I have one and use it, you still have to buy the memory map software. To be honest the Satmap is 1000% better, im on my 2nd MM 2800 (1st bust within 2 days), set up is crap, manuals are crap, battery life is crap - Go Satmap

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes I have one and use it, you still have to buy the memory map software. To be honest the Satmap is 1000% better, im on my 2nd MM 2800 (1st bust within 2 days), set up is crap, manuals are crap, battery life is crap - Go Satmap

Cheers
Dave
Blimey....you like yours then...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers chaps

Looks like we have a battle on our hands!!!

Must admit couldnt really fault the Satmap, other than it wasnt waterproof, and it didnt come with memory map.

So does the Mem Map 2800 come with Memory Map? David say it does and dwazzer says No it doesnt????

Regards

·
Registered
887 Posts
cheers chaps

Looks like we have a battle on our hands!!!

Must admit couldnt really fault the Satmap, other than it wasnt waterproof, and it didnt come with memory map.

So does the Mem Map 2800 come with Memory Map? David say it does and dwazzer says No it doesnt????

Regards
Other way round mate, It DEFINATELY DOES...!!! ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well its actually a bit of both, depending on the deal the 2800 does come with some maps but NOT all of them. When I bought mine it came with UK road atlas and national parks in 1:50. However none of that was any use to me. S still had to buy map credits from MM.

Also one MASSIVE downside with the 2800 is that the largest map you can have is 400mb, so you have to cut the UK up into parts and load it as several maps - its a right royal PITA! The only way to get the screen to work properly is with the pointer, totally impossible with a gloved hand.
Ive not used a SatMap but seen Clive from Tri County Motorcycles use his many times and its easier to read (Larger screen) and better mounts for a bike with a waterproof cover also available.

Given the choice I would NOT buy a 2800 again, or recommend it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
i have a 2800 bike mount spot on i aint used it yet because ime shit with technolagy waiting for a mate to show me how!!mine has some maps on it aint satmap the one were it costs an arm and a leg to get the maps?my mate had one and fucked up everytime you needed it!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts