KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys I just wobble about around the local green lanes and today I came across a load of bods out on a TRF ride which got me thinking, is it worth joining?

I've heard different stories, some claiming that the TRF have an almost apologetic attitude when out on the lanes and they just bimble about at 10 MPH. Having said that if I get to find some new lanes then that won't be bad. 52 quid ain't peanuts if its money down the drain hence my post.

So what do you guys reckon?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The creeping along at 10mph perception is what’s stopped me from bothering, that plus they don’t seem to have much presence where I live. The ViewRanger app is where I get most my routes from, and a local 4x4 group.

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
10 mph is a perception, they ride just every one else but are considerate to other users which isn't a bad thing. You will learn new lanes without needing to plot your own routes and they also have events that you get dibbs at. If nothing else your 50 quid goes towards the fighting fund to help keep the lanes open.

Also on my TRF groups Facebook page there are a load of GPX files to download for that area, in this case Hertfordshire.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
So what do you guys reckon?
Pretty much just do it, unless you are in a TRF dead patch.
Where are you?
Is your local group active, do they have a forum with regular ride outs posted, or maybe FB page.. basically is joining your local group going to result in ride outs, if so get on with it as they'll show you lanes you likely otherwise wouldn't know are there.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
If it was 10mph I might be able to keep up. :(
If you use the lanes, it is only fair to contribute to the only people who stand any chance of keeping them open.
You need to be a bit proactive to get on rides - don’t sit back and wait. Although the cliquey attitude can be there as some guys have spent years riding together but that shouldn’t stop them trying to fix you up.

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
You don't necessarily have to join your local group. I'm in Essex but joined Herts as they seemed moore active.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, I live near Reading and the local TRF is called Loddon Vale (as in the river Loddon). I'll try to find out how active the Loddon group is.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks Guys, I live near Reading and the local TRF is called Loddon Vale (as in the river Loddon). I'll try to find out how active the Loddon group is.
Me & mate have had a joint membership for years now in herts , as said above it’s all about keep the lanes open & were more than happy to contribute towards even though I hardly ever ride with them , there good lads though , what’s great is on there fb page you get loads of info on rides & gpx files too download , it’s good too give a bit back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Years ago you got a great deal out of TRF membership because many of the routes used had 'assumed rights' which were established by TRF bods who did hours of research, prepared legal arguments etc. They also had beards (when beards were uncool), rode XL185 Hondas (when XL185 Hondas were uncool), and had open-face helmets and wax jackets (when they were uncool). They would, of course, be really cool, ironic, hipsters now.
These days we are really only able to ride BOATs (easily identified on OS maps) and unclassified roads (which are on the local Highway Authority List of Streets). Not all these are legal, but those that are not should be signed as such on the ground.
So, what do you get for your £50?
Depends very much on your local group...and the more you put in to your local group, the more you get out.
I first joined the TRF back in 1978 (!) and had some fantastic times, plus some grim ones as well. Over the years, the TRF has raised a huge sum of money, which it has used to take cases as far as the Supreme Court. This would be well beyond any other organisation or club in our world.
But it all got too 'corporate' for me in the last few years, with the directors making promises that I didn't think could be kept, and being very confrontational with those who would not toe the line.
So it was goodnight from me.
You can read the TRF quarterly magazine online (whether a member or not) here Trail Magazine

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
I was in the TRF for about 10 years until it dawned on me that all of the confrontational ride outs l had been on had been the TRF ones.

I prefer to take the stealth approach to trail riding.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I joined last September, could not make the September "Beginners ride" due to other commitments, no more were "advertised" shown on beginner ride link on the FB page right up until COVID.

I am booked in for the August ride, but £56.50 for one ride out does not seem like great value - admittedly COVID stopped 4 other potential opportunities, but still seems to be not much going on near me.

I also asked about training days they advertised in their magazine at a location in Bristol and they never got back to me.

There is no access to any local routes they know of as a member, Unless they know of some trails near me that would put Mongolia to shame then I will not be re-joining.

Prior to TRF I joined GLASS which is mre the 4x4 community, but they do have a good national database of lanes you can view, and most have a description as members can add notes to the DB when they ride / drive them, they seem a bit more on the ball than the TRF.

Recently I paid for the Viewranger OS maps and this is quite handy, but you have to zoom right in on the map and go scrolling around trying to find them - the GLASS map is way easier as it highlights all the lanes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In reply to Ship, one of the things I was less than happy about were the large group rides with aggressive assertion of rights which had come into fashion with the 'new management' of the TRF.
I ride mostly on my own (which is apparently 'dangerous'), but have never had an angry confrontation with anyone when by myself. I've always taken the time to stop and talk to people who thought I shouldn't be there, show them maps, expalin the various rights of way, made friends with dogs and horses etc. I've even had landowners tell me I can ride on tracks which I have no legal right to be on.
In the words of one Welsh farmer: "Oh you seem tidy, you can ride where you like on my land."

·
Registered
157 Posts
In reply to It's not Ginger, TRF membership used to include access to the Trailwise mapping, which was a joint enterprise between the TRF and GLASS. The new management of the TRF decided that they would do their own map, which we are still waiting to see.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Trailwise has, as far as I understand it, now concentrated on 4x4 use so won’t include TROs with bike exemption. Nor is it particularly up to date. The TRF are (eventually) having their own bike specific mapping that is supposed to be permanently up to date.
Relying on OS, Viewranger or any other outside source is always risky and the very least you should do is check the local authority ROW map and temp TRO info.

Our Sussex group, ehich includes a certain TRF Tech Director, have been very successful in maintaining bike access year round despite the attempts by the 4x4 brigade to trash lanes and get them closed down.

God knows I have had my run ins with the management as criticism or awkward questions aren’t allowed and I am still not allowed on the faceache page without a lecture from Mario so that won’t be happening.

But, I still pay my fees and ride with the group as, you can have a great time without the directors but still do your bit to fight closures in the face of mounting heavyweight opposition.

As I said earlier, you have to be a bit proactive to go on rides and not just sit and wait to be asked. Maybe we’re lucky here and have a core of guys willing to take out new riders and most of our lanes aren’t too tricky.

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
In reply to Ship, one of the things I was less than happy about were the large group rides with aggressive assertion of rights which had come into fashion with the 'new management' of the TRF.
I ride mostly on my own (which is apparently 'dangerous'), but have never had an angry confrontation with anyone when by myself. I've always taken the time to stop and talk to people who thought I shouldn't be there, show them maps, expalin the various rights of way, made friends with dogs and horses etc. I've even had landowners tell me I can ride on tracks which I have no legal right to be on.
In the words of one Welsh farmer: "Oh you seem tidy, you can ride where you like on my land."
Exactly that Black Dog. A lot of the places l ride are 'pre nerc', but as my ride group is 3 at max, and we all stop / slow down / talk as required, we have no trouble with anyone. I have been on TRF ride outs which are like a cross between a H+H's and a confrontational evangelical crusade ........ all that does is piss people off. Being 'right' and having a TRF sticker on your bike does not give licence to act like a twat.

As for Mario, he wasted that oppurtunity he had in parliment. Kowtowing sniveller.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I don't know who this Mario bloke is but he sounds like a right twat!

I must admit that when I was out the other day and spotted the TRF 'convoy' I thought it must look pretty menacing if you were just walking down the lane and the suddenly 10 bikes come past you.

Thanks for all the posts, I reckon I will just stick with what I'm doing now which is going out on my own.

Reactions: Ship

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
loddon vale is pretty dam good, i know a few people who ride with them , way better than the oxford TRF ..i joined in january ....hmm not really my sort of humor , and never seem to have open rides its all done on private msg from what i see, so most oxford lot ride with loddon as open and fun! i wanted to learn how to use these bloody montana gps things i have just been doing it trial and error and getting gpx files of a few mates i already knew,. Still learning to read the gps as we ride....any montana gurus on here:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts