KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would not ride on my own in case of breakdown or injury out of reach of a tarmac road. Groups of 4-6 seem to strike a good balance as more than that tends to lead to tailenders getting lost.

We used to interact with people who told us we weren't allowed on a legal route but not now as the local antis have encouraged walkers to report any bikes they see anywhere to the police. A wave or a nod but I won't stop. Why spoil a day out with a pointless arguement? You won't change their minds anyway. I once got a right bollocking from a walker and he was standing right next to a Byway sign! I was just laughing and he couldn't work out why.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Much of the quality of your TRF experience depends on your local group.

As for Mario...well let's just say that you can't knock him for his hard work and enthusiasm, but self-awareness and the ability to listen to polite feedback is not his strongest point.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
loddon vale is pretty dam good, i know a few people who ride with them , way better than the oxford TRF ..i joined in january ....hmm not really my sort of humor , and never seem to have open rides its all done on private msg from what i see, so most oxford lot ride with loddon as open and fun! i wanted to learn how to use these bloody montana gps things i have just been doing it trial and error and getting gpx files of a few mates i already knew,. Still learning to read the gps as we ride....any montana gurus on here:D
LOL Thanks for that, I thought that I'd made my mind up, I'm now back to square one!

Reactions: TQKTM

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
I think that the TRF have a 'try before you buy policy' ....... go to a monthly meeting, go one a rideout and see what they are like and go from there.

B.D's comment on it all being dependant on your local group is broadly correct to a certain extent (notwithstanding top table politik)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
LOL Thanks for that, I thought that I'd made my mind up, I'm now back to square one!
who had you made your mind up with then? i also get impression the actual people are what makes it a good or not so good club....1st meeting they sprung on me and BF in front of whole room...so what bikes you got whats your experience? i hate all that going round room talking like a bloody AA meeting :ROFLMAO: when i said i have a 250 ktm...ooh 4stroke they asked no i replied a 250tpi whole room went oooooohhhh like i had a illegal 450mx bike..i thought shit and tried not to laugh in the deathly silent room:D but everybody was very good after meeting chatting ..think its my look ..i look doggy! still felt out of place as i didn't have a beard and elbow pads

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to cringe at the approach some members to to recruiting new members and at first meetings. Also 'beginner rides' that were nothing of the sort.
That said, we also had an instance of one bloke turning up, demanding to see 'the map' before he joined, and copying out a loop of lanes, which he and and a large group of his mates then rode (some on MX bikes) every weekend. He rode as fast as he could, and his mates, who had no clue as to where they were going, charged after him. They had a regular 'piss stop' at the bottom of someone's garden.
Apparently, when challenged, he used to say he was in the TRF!
Needless to say he never joined or attended another meeting.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I'm a member of my local club. I don't get to meetings. I don't do trail riding. But they (normally) run 2-4 closed course ride days per year on some of the best and exclusive terrain in the South West. This year, it hasn't been worth the fee for me but I'm happy to contribute to the only association out there that actively promotes and protects "off-road" motorcycling against the insane hoards of antis that view anything with two wheels as a menace. If you can afford it, then join for a year and see what you think.

Mark my words, if it wasn't for the TRF, trail riding would have disappeared years ago and probably so would have enduro and Mx.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
who had you made your mind up with then?
I'd made my mind up not to join the TRF at all but then you came along and said that the Loddon Vale group were pretty good! Not sure that I want to stand up in front of a load of bods and tell them my biking experience. (Which is long and was quite often frowned upon by the plod that I happened to be talking to at the time)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'd made my mind up not to join the TRF at all but then you came along and said that the Loddon Vale group were pretty good! not sure that I want to stand up in front of a load of bods and tell them my biking experience. (Which is long and was quite often frownd upon by the plod that I happened to be talking to at the time)
this was with oxford,others might not do this AA meeting bollox..i never been with lodden..but lads i know rate them and they are good blokes so give it a go..might see me there, fake beard and elbow patches :D

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
I don’t go to meetings as they are over an hour from me but get along just fine with everyone.
Ideally, a group should have someone who can meet and greet at the first meeting so the ice can be broken gently. Never heard of the third degree option before...that would send me packing or open the sarky comedy response box.

·
Registered
159 Posts
In the South Wales group, if there was a new member then we used to go around the table, each of us introducing ourselves after the chairman or someone else had introduced the new member.
It was about the only time during a meeting that one person could speak without at least two others breaking in, or starting a conversation of their own! :)
Seriously, I'd encourage anyone interested in trail riding to give the TRF a go. At the time that I left I had a hell of a lot else going on in my life (almost all of which was good), and I just didn't have the interest in it any more to try to get people to do what I thought were the right things. All that, and there was no convenient group (or indeed any convenient green lanes) to my new abode and it was just easier not to be a member any more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If sidecarbod is a newbie to trail riding I’d say it’s definitely worth joining the TRF. My wiff and I are members of the Wilts group and are fortunate to have plenty of byways in the area, and prior to living here I was in Newbury (close to sidecarbod) which gave me access to heaps of lanes, both nearby (north of town over to Bucklebury) and a little further on the Downs out to Lambourn and beyond. I’ve heard good things about the Loddon Vale group, and when joining you specify your “home” group and a couple of affiliates so you can be included in their communications. It’s all done via Facebook now, a closed group that as a member you can apply to join. WTRF (Wilts) have a system whereby a ride leader posts up a forthcoming trip and people sign up to join in, numbers normally limited to six or so (agreement with DSTL to cap official TRF ride numbers to six on Salisbury Plain to keep them happy and ensure continued access). If you check on the TRF website you should be able to get contact details for the Loddon Vale group, get in touch and see what they say.

A cardinal rule is to not ride alone - I broke it once and fell off into 10” of foul-smelling water in a wood, and was trapped by my bike - comical in hindsight, waiting ten minutes until a passing walker helped me out, but if I’d been knocked unconscious I’d have drowned, simple as. Similarly, if you crash and break a bone or break down alone miles from anywhere you could be stuck for hours.

Hope you enjoy green-laning, top fun. :)

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
One of our group was on a solo ride diversion, got distracted by a lovely young horse-riding lady in a tiny vest, hit the bank, fell off and broke his finger.
He did think it was almost worth it but she was needed to help him pick the bike up.

It only takes a loose stone or slippery root to spit you off and you may be the last person to use the lane that day....

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
But he and others like him are mad.
I recently read about a guy who ride a Triumph Tiger to South Africa. He ended up long term in hospital and every time he dropped the bike he had to strip everything off and still wait for help to lift it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We all have to speak as we find, and individual experiences will depend on you local group. I have been in the TRF since the middle eighties, & without exception have found them to be a great bunch of guys. I live in Surrey & ride with a number of different TRF groups with ages that vary from early 20's to one guy who is 85! You will learn your local lanes & be able to join in some great social events.
In short, join.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
One good thing with joining regardess of all else is supporting those fighting to keep lanes open, probably worth joining TRF (Or GLASS) just to help keep your right to ride on lanes.

It seems the TRF varies a lot from place to place, not surprising I guess, and some areas have way more lanes and probably therefor a way busier TRF group.

Almost 11 Months in I have not been shown a single lane or been invited on any meetings or events, although COVID had a big effect and stopped me getting to the pub meets which I had planned to attend through spring / summer.

I did notice in the magazine you get that some groups have all sorts of events going on which would appeal to me, so if you can reach more than one group perhaps do some research and join the most active one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think most county councils have interactive maps on their sites and list the temporary traffic regulation orders. Most of us probably know you are looking for the red crosses representing byways open to all traffic on the ordnance survey (not sure how the restricted byway thing works, don't know of any in my area) and white tracks on the OS that show up on the interactive as roads marked as maintained at county or highway authority expense are worth a go. The traffic regulation orders tell you when byways are officially closed or use is restricted. It's worth getting hold of 1:50000 paper OS maps because you can see routes join together much more clearly on them. It's quite a buzz going and hunting down new lanes yourself and it saves relying on others. You can do your bit for rights of way and tell the council if a byway is blocked or overgrown or a landowner is putting up fake closed signs, send them a picture and map / gps ref and it normally gets sorted sooner or later.

@sidecarbod
ArcGIS Web Application
West Berkshire Council - Closures, Restrictions and Motor Vehicles on Public Rights of Way - Information
ArcGIS Web Application
ArcGIS Web Application

bing.com/maps and click Ordnance Survey option top right corner will give maps for England and Wales, haven't looked at Scotland / NI

Internet has made things a lot easier than in olden times :D

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
There’s no public rights of access in Scotland... sadly... been like that for years...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts