KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding my bike on the road and on the track for a while now. Not really touch the carb (just cleaned it) since it was running fine. My dad has the attitude, if it runs it is fine. But I want it to run better.
Doesn't matter what power valve spring you have in it, what setting the preload is on. It still feels it could do with being leaner at the bottom end. Top end feels fine. On the pipe it goes like stink.
On the slower corners around a track, unless you keep it on the pipe (which can be difficult) it won't pull out the corners. It will feel like you have left the choke on, just really sluggish and doesn't want to pick up.

The carb that is fitted at the moment is
Kehien PWK 8Ktbbmj
176 Main Jet
k40 Pilot Jet
N3Eg needle with the clip 3 down from the top.
Using FMF Gnarly exhaust and FMF end pipe.

I have not tried adjusting the carb because we have been trying to sort out other issues first. Now it's time for the carb.

Most of the information about this needle in EXCs are for the newer bikes. So I don't really know if it would work in mine? I would like to make sure before buying anything. It might fit but will it work?

Thanks!
Marc

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Been riding my bike on the road and on the track for a while now. Not really touch the carb (just cleaned it) since it was running fine. My dad has the attitude, if it runs it is fine. But I want it to run better.
Doesn't matter what power valve spring you have in it, what setting the preload is on. It still feels it could do with being leaner at the bottom end. Top end feels fine. On the pipe it goes like stink.
On the slower corners around a track, unless you keep it on the pipe (which can be difficult) it won't pull out the corners. It will feel like you have left the choke on, just really sluggish and doesn't want to pick up.

The carb that is fitted at the moment is
Kehien PWK 8Ktbbmj
176 Main Jet
k40 Pilot Jet
N3Eg needle with the clip 3 down from the top.
Using FMF Gnarly exhaust and FMF end pipe.

I have not tried adjusting the carb because we have been trying to sort out other issues first. Now it's time for the carb.

Most of the information about this needle in EXCs are for the newer bikes. So I don't really know if it would work in mine? I would like to make sure before buying anything. It might fit but will it work?

Thanks!
Marc
Try going down on the pilot jet

·
Administrator
9,293 Posts
I thought the NECJ made it richer?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Try going down on the pilot jet
What he said.... try a 38 Pilot first.... you’ll know straight away if it’s too rich when you swap it. If it’s too rich it’ll pull away much cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers. I'll pick up another pilot jet. I did notice people ran smaller pilot jets but again, on the newer bikes and different carbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts